[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Skeptics wouldn't accept psi, even if science does : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Skeptics wouldn't accept psi, even if science does

Discuss General Topics.

Skeptics wouldn't accept psi, even if science does

Postby Student of Sophia » 21 Nov 2009, 22:48

I made a poll on Richard Dawkins forum, asking skeptics if they would accept psi if mainstream science does. The poll results say they wouldn't.

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 3&t=100314

Very discouraging. Even if parapsychology overcame the taboo and was accepted by mainstream science, pseudo-skeptics would still reject it.

Needless to say, this speaks of their hypocrisy. I hear from them all the time about how mainstream science doesn't accept psi, so why should they? They want to have their cake and eat it too.
Student of Sophia

Re: Skeptics wouldn't accept psi, even if science does

Postby NinjaPuppy » 22 Nov 2009, 02:00

Here's what I got: The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.

Since I'd rather not register, can you perhaps copy and paste the highlights if the article is too long?
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 22 Nov 2009, 02:02

NinjaPuppy

Postby Student of Sophia » 22 Nov 2009, 04:04

Student of Sophia

Postby Eteponge » 22 Nov 2009, 04:22

The "I wouldn't believe it even if you could prove it to me!" mentality. Just like how if you ask Christian Fundies if they will accept Evolution based on evidence, and if their Church at large accepts it, they will say no. Debunkers and Religious Fundies are opposite yet equal brothers in stupidity. Max Planck said it best ...

“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it” - Max Planck, Physicist
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby Student of Sophia » 22 Nov 2009, 04:45

Student of Sophia

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Nov 2009, 06:17

I like that quote Eteponge. It sums things up well. At one time I worked in a scientific field in which the company owner had this weird and uncontrollable hatred of the status quo. I think he couldn't appreciate the advances being made and was digging a hole to die in.

It is Nov 21 and as I recall it is time for the test in California to happen. That means if this woman is able to demonstrate her abilities in a controlled environment that some ideas need to be reevaluated and sooner than later. A failure does not mean that her claim is bunk unless it is a complete failure.

I'm interested in seeing what happens.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Student of Sophia » 22 Nov 2009, 06:28

Test? What test is that?
Student of Sophia

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Nov 2009, 11:31

Someone claimed they could see inside of a human body. They volunteered to go to LA to take part in a $50K prize if they passed the test. People claiming paranormal abilities rarely enter testing phases. I'll find the link and post it here.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Nov 2009, 12:18

This is the link to the post. I'll see if the LA group posted anything yet.

Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Nov 2009, 12:27

Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Nov 2009, 12:46

A search on the web indicates that Anita failed to be able to look inside of people. Apparently today included a live feed, associated chat rooms to discuss what was happened all other things the internet provides us. A real sports arena atmosphere here.

So tis test did not work out. I think we can all appreciate Anita's willingness to be tested. I personally admire her. There are too many con artists out there who are too timid and scared to be tested. Bravo Anita.
Nostradamus

Postby ProfWag » 22 Nov 2009, 21:13

I went out to the site and looked at the thread with the question. Essentially, all of the people that commented, said "no" because it was a poorly worded question, open to different interpretations. They all said they would accept it if there was evidence of psi, but just because psi is accepted by mainstream science doesn't mean that there is evidence to support it. I believe there may be some miscommunication between what the author of this thread intended and how the question on Dawkins' site was worded. Perhaps if you had asked something along the lines of "If there was evidence of psi resulting from scrutinized testing, and these tests were then replicated and verified by mainstream science, would you accept it?" I'm quite confident you would have received 11 out of 11 yes votes.
ProfWag
ProfWag

Postby Student of Sophia » 22 Nov 2009, 23:56

Student of Sophia

Postby Nostradamus » 23 Nov 2009, 02:08

Nostradamus

Next

Return to General Discussions