[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Rise and Fall of a Scientific Genius : General Discussions - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

The Rise and Fall of a Scientific Genius

Discuss General Topics.

Re: The Rise and Fall of a Scientific Genius

Postby Nostradamus » 20 Nov 2009, 23:27

What I see as a problem is that the world is full of the unexplained and interesting phenomena. This is not oneof them. Scientists would be out of a job if there wasn't something interesting to determine.

The fact that devices like this did not work is the reason that more research has been done in other areas. Notice that the work was tried again. People are often unaware that science is a slow and ponderous process of trying and trying. Facts are simply what we believe to be true.

AIS did you know that 3 times work that has received the Nobel prize in a science field has been shown to be wrong? It simply shows that the questions being asked are hard. The questions have to be asked repeatedly and new information may show that established ideas, i.e. facts, may not be true after all.

A cancer cure in vogue years ago was laetrile. I remember Bullitt, aka Steve McQueen, heading to a clinic in Mexico for laetrile treatments. A small pharmaceutical geared up to make laetrile. Then the stunning claims fell apart and laetrile was not used because it didn't work. It's too bad. It would be a better world if cancer did not kill as many people as it does, but for now there is no simple panacea for the scourge of cancer.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Eteponge » 21 Nov 2009, 00:13

This may eventually lead to a real cure for cancer ...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 102609.php
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby accidentsinspace » 21 Nov 2009, 00:49

accidentsinspace

Postby Eteponge » 21 Nov 2009, 02:24

"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby ProfWag » 21 Nov 2009, 03:14

I don't know how to do all that fancy stuff in these posts, so just picture me standing at my computer and applauding Eteponge's comments.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Nov 2009, 05:31

I'm standing right behind ProfWag, clapping wildly!
NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 21 Nov 2009, 13:54

yep got to agree with you guys - and once the insults start getting thrown around - the argument is lost - and THAT applies to skeptic and believers alike ;)

i lost my lovely wife to cancer - so it is a subject close to my heart ( literally ) - so BS claims and claimants of having "cures" for it - should be taken out and hung up by their testicles from piano wire in my opinion ( sorry but that's how strongly i feel about it ) - simple FACT as yet there IS no "cure " for many ( any ?? ) cancers - preventative and palliative treatments yes - but CURES no !! - and any one who comes up with a REAL cure - will deserve the praise and respect of the whole planet !!

please support cancer research - and may be one day we WILL beat this scourge of humanity
brett

Postby Hellboy » 21 Nov 2009, 18:06

Hellboy

Postby Eteponge » 22 Nov 2009, 00:35

I lost both grandmothers to cancer. I was very close to both of them. I find it an absolute insult to make false claims about cancer cures.

You can spot what I call True Woos (as opposed to the Debunkers definition, where they simply call anyone who has any interest whatsoever in Paranormal / Anomalous Phenomenon, anyone who is reasonably convinced by any of the research and data [and has researched and considered all sides] in suggesting that there is something there worth further serious study, etc, to be blindly labeled as "Woos", lumping us all in with the gullible crazies in one blanket definition) by their reaction to simple critical questions.

If you ask someone making claims to back up their statements with actual evidence or request further evidence for their claims, and they instead fly off the handle and start hurling insults and show themselves to be unstable, that's a True Woo.

If you calmly present basic very reasonable skeptical arguments and inquiries, and ask them to respond to them and deal with them, and they instead fly off the handle and start hurling insults and show themselves to be unstable, that's a True Woo.

Now, on the otherhand, if you were to ask someone like me for evidence of whatever I claim to be convinced of, I'll gladly provide it, as much as possible, and even give an indepth response as to exactly why I feel the data is significant. And if you respond with indepth skeptical questions, I will respond to each and every point indepth, and give counter-data if applicable, and if I don't have an answer to something, or don't have sufficient evidence for something, I'll admit it and state that I need to research the matter further.

That type of response versus a True Woo's response is how you can tell a serious researcher of these topics from a fluff bunny.
Eteponge

Previous

Return to General Discussions