[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Insults and Fallacies : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Insults and Fallacies

Discuss General Topics.

Insults and Fallacies

Postby deadmanjay » 15 Sep 2009, 04:11

Sorry if this has already been done before or doesn't belong here, but I have noticed a huge tone of insults and fallacies. At least in the last thread I was in.

For example, because person A was diagnosed with mental issues, then everything person A says must be false. This is a huge fallacy and can be hugely reversed. Because person B is an illusionist, then everything person B says must be false. Both of these are assuming that just because one has problems or one makes a living off of illusions, then nothing they say can be trusted.

Another example of that type is that because Person A may not be open to the possibility Subject A then they must be totally for all of the subjects and wear tin foil hats. The reverse can be seen as because Person B is not open to the possibility of Subject B, then they must be fully against all of the subjects and wear tin foil hats.

Of course, insults are going to happen, but to use them as the argument instead of saying, I think your argument is full of shit and here is why, is fallacious and ad homing.

Any thoughts? Arguments? Flamings?
*Insert something witty and funny and non-offensive*
deadmanjay

Re: Insults and Fallacies

Postby ciscop » 15 Sep 2009, 06:37

well
i think it does help to know their backgrounds if they are making supernatural claims

highflyer is a mental case, fights with statues and think he is the messiah
dont you agree.. that then you will think twice before believing he can actually move stuff with his mind?
there is such a thing as CRAZY people, this guy is one.

and Dave Koenig has been seen flashing magic props and then claiming it was due to his psychic abilities, also making youtube predictions but only opening up the link to the predictions AFTER they become true... nonsense (and quite lame is you know magic)

i will just remain skeptical about those 2
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Scepcop » 15 Sep 2009, 08:05

Good point. I was diagnosed with OCD long ago. But that doesn't make me insane. A change of environment nearly cured my OCD though. The problem lay mostly in society.

Remember that Indian spiritual leader who said, "It is no measure of health to be adjusted to a profoundly sick society"?

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... murti.html

The US is a lonely country where sensitive people are persecuted. That's why it has the highest rates of mental illness in the industrialized world. Not everyone is cut out for the independent "don't need anyone else" lifestyle of work and privacy. Some need to feel connections to others. That's why I am generally happier, have better mental health and self-esteem abroad. And those like me are too. But I don't represent everyone. Some people are happy in America, if they are big on privacy, making money and don't need to feel connected with others. Different strokes for different folks. I do not live for money and career, so I've never fitted in that well in the adult USA environment. I feel far more at home in Europe, where intellectualism is more mainstream than in the US.

But hey, life is not without problems and challenges. Those who overcome them, make the greatest heros. To be able to endure pain and come out of it alive and strong and spiritual, makes you an inspiration to others. That's why many find me to be inspiring.

If I had a flawless spotless life, then who would be inspired by that?

Life always brings problems and challenges. How you deal with it, and how you overcome that, makes you stronger and builds character. Suffering builds character. We all have our fair share of suffering. But that doesn't discredit us.

If you look at the big picture, you will understand all this.

But these haters don't. They focus on one misdiagnosis in my life, and take that as gospel truth, repeating it over and over again. The truth is, the whole thing and misdiagnosis is documented in my Christian deconversion story.

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/Christian_Story.htm

It's no secret. If you read it though, you will find that the "schizophrenia" was a misdiagnosis. Only those who want to bring me down focus on it, spreading lies in the process.

Anyone who wants to know the truth can simply read the story. But if someone is stupid and gullible enough to believe every frickin lie out there, well I can't help them then. And it's not my problem either. I don't have to give sickos the time of day, and I shouldn't.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ciscop » 15 Sep 2009, 23:15

are you actually blaming all USA for you psychological problems??

thats interesting
you are actually saying
IS NOT ME... IS EVERYBODY ELSE

wow...

man, accept your faults, nobody is perfect
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ciscop » 15 Sep 2009, 23:19

by the way

you have OCD
what are the rituals you follow?

and no shame in there, plenty of people i know have it
the guy from DEAL OR NO DEAL.. howie mandel has OCD
and still has a lot of money and is insanely famous

also Howard Stern has OCD, the new york city disk jockey considered the king of all media

in some cases OCD actually help them get where they are now
but what are your rituals?
are you a germophobe too?
ciscop

Postby deadmanjay » 16 Sep 2009, 05:29

*Insert something witty and funny and non-offensive*
deadmanjay

Postby Eteponge » 16 Sep 2009, 05:31

Also, the guy who hosted Double Dare (the Nickelodeon TV Show from the 1980s, a popular TV Show when I was growing up) has OCD. Which is odd, given how messy that show was.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby ciscop » 16 Sep 2009, 06:17

ciscop

Postby Eteponge » 16 Sep 2009, 12:55

"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby ciscop » 16 Sep 2009, 13:54

o wow!!
thanks for sharing!

i dont think i saw that show
i only knew nickelodeon until the 90s
ciscop

Postby Eteponge » 16 Sep 2009, 15:34

Eteponge

Return to General Discussions