View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

10 Reasons You Should Never Have a Religion

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

Postby Scepcop » 27 May 2013, 20:21

This is pretty good and true.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2008/0 ... -religion/
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Never Have a Religion

Postby Paradox » 07 Jul 2013, 01:07

I rejected both Catholicism and Protestantism by the age of ten, and it seemed there was always an element of fear to those religions. I've even rejected pretty much all New Age and Eastern religions as well. I'm not even sure that I consider myself to be a theist anymore either, since I'm not sure how one would define 'God' in an objective sense.
Truth is stranger than fiction.
Paradox

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Never Have a Religion

Postby workingitout121 » 25 Jan 2014, 05:41

I am a 14 year old lesbian and I refuse to be spoon fed information. I suppose religious teachers may call it angst, or a falling out with God, but if I'm going to believe something, it's going to be because it is logically sound. I believe in a God. I don't know much more than that as of now. However, I am figuring it out. I am logically looking at different beliefs to see what I agree with in terms of morals and what makes sense in terms of the divine. I'm not an idiot. On the contrary, I have a very high IQ. I have always been Christian, but have recently been moving away into a sort of different kind. At first it was that, if I am to believe the Bible, it must truly be the word of God with no corruption by man. Thus, the original Aramaic texts would be best, and even those are subject to interpretation. As a lesbian, I had the whole "gay crisis". I found nothing good for me in the Old Testament, but I did find that in the New Testament, whoever translated it into Greek and then Latin changed the words to persecute homosexuals, and for their own political agenda. Yet another example of how what is good and holy has been corrupted by man. Additionally, if I am to belief in Jesus and his resurrection, I will need historic and scientific backup from a completely nonreligious point of view. If I am to believe what is written in the Bible, I will need logical NON-BIBLICAL proof. After all, with Christianity's circular logic, I could prove that Hogwarts exists because it says so in Harry Potter.
These are just my beliefs. they may change if I find more logical religious essays like these.
workingitout121

Return to Religion / Theology