[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Looking for a Few Good Men... or Women... or Groups : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Looking for a Few Good Men... or Women... or Groups

Discuss General Topics.

Looking for a Few Good Men... or Women... or Groups

Postby TheParanormalAnalyst » 08 Jan 2014, 09:03

I've been sending out an invitation to specific groups and individuals across the net and I'll continue here.

The field of paranormal research is in a sad state. We have people who invest entire careers in proving or disproving claims of the paranormal. This has created a substantial void: Legitimate investigation of the paranormal. I'm getting groups and individuals together who are committed to the objective research of paranormal phenomena. We need to discuss developing a unified front to battle lazy science, poor investigation practices and a host of other issues. We need to develop standard procedures and practices and offer training to improve the legitimacy of paranormal research. That was the very short version of possible goals...

If you want to prove paranormal things exist don't contact me.
If you want to disprove all claims of the paranormal don't contact me.
If you want to investigate claims of the paranormal and follow them to their logical conclusion I would love to hear from you.

You can be from any field of study and you do not have to be an investigator to be a part. I want to include a wide array of people. I don't care if you had a paranormal experience or if you are a skeptic... As long as you are interested in investigation of claims of the paranormal, and willing to approach it objectively, you are welcome.
Critical Thinking and Logic offer the only sure path to truth.
TheParanormalAnalyst

Re: Looking for a Few Good Men... or Women... or Groups

Postby SydneyPSIder » 10 Jan 2014, 06:13

hmm, the thing is I have already pretty well irrefutably and demonstrably observed several paranormal phenomena which have no 'natural' explanation. The only explanation is there is stuff out there we haven't yet measured, studied or hypothesised about. The next thing for me was to try to measure some of this stuff and parameterise it. I'm already well beyond the 'proving or disproving' stage although of course for credibility's sake it is still required to convincingly 'prove' a phenomenon to others at some point in a way that meets usual scientific criteria.

I wanted to start using some physics and electronics to start measuring things.

There are a number of techniques of ascertaining the existence or presence of ghosts, for instance -- some psychics can see them and talk with them (ostensibly), so get the psychics to ask questions of the ghosts where the psychic cannot possibly know the answer in advance, where the answer can be verified in history. And bring in some EMF scanners to see if you can get a fix on the ghost if you can't actually see them, or any other gadgets.

In the case where people can 'read minds' or tell the future, try to parameterise the 'speed of thought', range of effect, and so on. How is that info can travel back in time? 'Where' do psychics get their information from? etc.

And you need to recruit a small pool of genuine psychics to work with in investigating this who are open to the idea, if that is possible. I know several people with abilities, but never sit down in a lab with them, and they might resist doing so for privacy reasons. How do you publish info about someone with abilities if they want to stay fairly private in their lives? You cannot pass the usual tests of peer-reviewed journal articles this way, for instance, to prove something is repeatable, replicable, etc.

I already have some of these answers, in fact, but if you want to be rigorous and exhaustive you can start back at square one again I suppose.

But I agree that 'the field of paranormal research is in a sad state.'
SydneyPSIder

Postby ProfWag » 13 Jan 2014, 02:53

ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Jan 2014, 20:58

NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 14 Jan 2014, 15:12

SydneyPSIder

Return to General Discussions