[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do US veterans deserve respect/donations for serving? : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Do US veterans deserve respect/donations for serving?

Discuss General Topics.

Do US veterans deserve respect/donations for serving?

Postby Scepcop » 26 Oct 2013, 12:03

I don't get something. I thought everyone knew by now that the Iraq War, and Vietnam too, was a scam and all about corporate profit and US imperialism, and had NOTHING to do with defending freedom and democracy. Nothing could be more obvious.

So why then are all the TV and radio stations in America still saying that veterans returning home deserve respect and donations for "defending our freedoms" which is technically false and illogical, yet it's sputtered like a mantra that everyone goes along with just to get along?

Even Coast to Coast AM with George Noory is spouting this claim that "veterans defend our freedoms", as though it were Gospel truth and a given fact. Every time a veteran calls into the show, George Noory thanks them for serving and defending our freedom so that shows like Coast to Coast can be on the air. What a cliche! I thought Coast to Coast was supposed to be a show about truth and freethought? Why does it spout the standard lies that make no sense just because they're popular and politically correct? The show has virtually no critical thinking at all!

When I'm at a gas station pumping gas, I sometimes have veterans walk up to me and tell me that they served and ask if I could spare some cash.

I also get phone calls from people claiming to work for charities sponsored by the State Troopers Highway Patrol, asking for donations to help veterans. The last time they called, I was thinking of asking them this:

"First, I heard that most US charities are a scam. How do I know that you're not a scam too? Second, you do know that those veterans risked their lives for corporate profits, not to defend any freedoms right? That's common knowledge. Third, why don't you ask for donations from corporations like Halliburton, which made billions from the Iraq War and got rich from it? Surely they can afford to support our veterans can't they? Why are you asking the general public?"

But I didn't want to get on any "black list" for asking such dissenting questions. Better to just avoid them.

Do any of you get those calls too? Why are they asking the public for donations instead of Halliburton?

And why is the old "veterans fought to defend our freedoms" line being brought back when it was debunked ages ago? What's going on? Does anyone really still believe that? If so, why? On what basis?

Also, are those charities that claim to be sponsored by the State Troopers real or a scam? Aren't most charities in the US a scam? How do you tell a real charity from a scam?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Do US veterans deserve respect/donations for serving?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 12 Nov 2013, 05:09

I'm going to start off with the charities questions but I will separate any veteran connection from my commentary:

Yes, I get calls from people claiming to be from the local Sheriff's Department, the State Police and the Local PBA asking for donations all the time. All I say to them is that I am on the "Do Not Call List, please remove my number from your records".

I do not donate to any charities that use telemarketers to solicit funds, nor do I donate to any so called charity that sends requests via mail. Many of them are legit but if you read this article, you will see how little (if anything) actually makes it to the charity: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-1 ... keter.html
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 12 Nov 2013, 08:22

Winston, may I ask if you know anyone in the Phillipines who may have been effected by Typhoon Haiyan? If so, why don't you ask them their opinion of the U.S. military. Then, after you do, please shut the hell up about veterans. Thank you.
ProfWag

Postby cecil1 » 12 Nov 2013, 22:54

No one answered correctly, sigh.

I'll do it fine.

Everyone deserves respect and everyone could use a donation. Geesh you guys are thick.
cecil1

Postby Arouet » 13 Nov 2013, 01:35

Arouet

Postby really? » 13 Nov 2013, 05:20

Winston you make me sick sometimes.
really?

Postby gorich761 » 23 Nov 2013, 19:47

Yes, I get calls from people claiming to be from the local Sheriff's Department, the State Police and the Local PBA asking for donations all the time.
gorich761

Postby Scepcop » 24 Nov 2013, 22:56

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby TheParanormalAnalyst » 25 Dec 2013, 05:10

As a military veteran I find this discussion disturbing. Servicemen do not choose what wars they fight in, they are not part of political discussions. They volunteer to serve a term and acknowledge that during this term they will follow the orders of the commander and chief. We do the dirty work, good, bad or ugly. Don't put the blame for political decisions on veterans. If you saw the BS and sacrifices we go through everyday your viewpoint would be very different. The modern veteran spends very little time with their families, is paid a fraction of what the military pays private contractors to do the same jobs, and follows and entire ADDITIONAL set of regulations that affect every aspect of their life.

Americans should always thank veterans because they don't have the luxury of supporting the President when it is conventional for them. They have an obligation to carry out orders so long as they are lawful. If you have a military that constantly questions their authority you have an ineffective defense force. It is the job of the citizens to keep politicians in check which in tun lead the military. If you don't like the decisions made by politicians you can thank your fellow citizens for voting them into office.
Critical Thinking and Logic offer the only sure path to truth.
TheParanormalAnalyst

Postby TheParanormalAnalyst » 25 Dec 2013, 05:19

By the way if you think are government has profited well from the wars you are mistaken... In Afghanistan we've paved the way for Chine to win out contracts for mining and other operations. Afghanistan has some of the richest mineral deposits in the world, and were providing the stability for China to get make a killing. The politics are complicated. There is corruption, but there are times when the seemingly simple answer couldn't be farther from the truth.
Critical Thinking and Logic offer the only sure path to truth.
TheParanormalAnalyst

Postby pwil » 25 Dec 2013, 11:22

I have had a few close personal friends that have done tours in Iraq and in Afghanistan.They had been given assignments to accomplish with just minimal instructions to pull off their tasks.What the overall objective was, whether it had a hidden sinical agenda to it by US bigwigs or truly was a threat to any armed forces or innocent civilians, was never really known. They were just told to complete the mission at hand. They had nothing to gain personally from the outcome except for doing their duty and hoping it was done for a moral purpose. So yes, I do thank every vet for what they have done and feel for them what they have endured. Killing a man must be a tough thing on the psyche. Tsk tsk to the dishonest war wagers whomever they would or if be.
pwil

Postby pwil » 25 Dec 2013, 11:37

However, for the instances where some soldiers who know something doesn't feel right or plain out were forced to engage in an immoral act, I feel even more for you. I still thank you for your service and am sorry for what you have gone through. For those who enjoyed wrong doing or did have something to profit it from disgraceful acts, I despise you and am ashamed and embarrassed as an American.
pwil

Return to General Discussions