[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
My correspondence with DragonCon re: participating next year : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

My correspondence with DragonCon re: participating next year

Discuss General Topics.

My correspondence with DragonCon re: participating next year

Postby Scepcop » 16 Aug 2009, 23:47

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: My correspondence with DragonCon re: participating next year

Postby Scepcop » 16 Aug 2009, 23:52

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 17 Aug 2009, 00:12

My thoughts:

Ahem. Well obviously this Derek fellow is on the side of the Skeptics, in case you haven't noticed.

Since I'm not a big name person recognized in the media, I'm not sure if the guest committee would approve me as a guest or not. But if SCEPCOP takes off and becomes more prominent in paranormal circles, then maybe I'll have a better chance. Or perhaps I could get the endorsement of top parapsychologists like Gary Schwartz, Dean Radin, Charles Tart, Rupert Sheldrake, etc. and send in a page with their recommendations for having me represent them in the debate? That might put some authority behind my qualifications.

Another thing going for me is that Derek said they couldn't find anyone willing to debate the skeptics, so I'd have little to no competition to enter the debate. That's surprising though, since there are many Paranormal buffs and Psychics everywhere, so why can't they find any on the East Coast? I would have thought that there would be hundreds of paranormalists lined up to debate the Skeptics there. Does Randi really strike that much fear into the heart of every "true believer"?

He says that Randi can't attend this year due to health problems and the recommendation of his doctor. Well I hope he'll enter next year. He is getting old, and we don't know how much longer he will be with us, so I hope I can debate him while he's still alive. This may be one of the last few chances to do so, if his health continues to decline.

I gotta wonder though, if Randi found out that there was an Afterlife, would he recant everything or still insist that he's right about everything? Hmmm

I know my friend John Benneth has been wanting to debate Randi for years, but they have a deep personal feud and Randi considers him to be crazy, so he may refuse to debate him. So I am uncertain as to whether I could get Benneth involved. But I'll look into it.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby brett » 17 Aug 2009, 00:59

well i hope you get the chance , i just wish i could be there to see it - i am fascinated by these conferences as we have nothing like them here - and if there are they are always in London or somewhere that is not easy or cost effective to get too when one is disabled ( as i am ) - and of course nothing happens in the UK out side the M 25 ( a motorway running round the home counties , quelocialy known as the biggest car park in England :lol: - nothing like some of your freeways though ) as that area is the centre of the known universe - in fact i think there are skeptics within it that doubt that places such as Devon actually exist as they have never been here so don't have any evidence of its existence :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i noted they mentioned Adam savage - is that the guy from "mythbusters " do you think ?? - i must say i like that program - good practical research - a lesson and example for us all ;)

any ways hope you get selected for a debate - but being the "cynic " i am i wonder .................................................. :lol:
brett

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Aug 2009, 01:36

Yes, I do hope that you are selected for the debate. I'm not all that far from Atlanta and I look forward to possibly attending should you be able to be part of the debate.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 17 Aug 2009, 03:29

Brett,
How did you become disabled? I thought you were so strong?

Well last year's DragonCon was taped and some of it was put on YouTube. So if I debate there, you can probably just see it on YouTube afterward.

Ninjapuppy, wow you live near Atlanta? Cool. Maybe we will get to meet each other there then!
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Aug 2009, 03:59

NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 17 Aug 2009, 04:35

brett

Postby Scepcop » 17 Aug 2009, 04:59

Wow Brett. That sounds so bleak and sad. If only you could move well enough, then you could go off and travel and use your pension or disability benefits or whatever. I think the UK is like the US, I heard, where strangers don't talk to each other much and the lifestyle is pretty isolated. The rest of Europe is supposed to be more open, fun and lively. Have you been to France, Spain or Italy? If so, are people more warm to you there?

I guess the study of the paranormal has given you some hope and meaning in your life then. Or do you reminisce about wonderful memories in the past, when you don't have much to look forward to anymore?

Have you tried alternative remedies like herbs, homeopathy, aromatherapy, etc? Do they help?

Are there any New Age groups in your area you could join? Is there a Unity Church?

Someday, if I tour Europe and come to the UK, I will try to pay you a visit.

You must live in the beautiful rolling hills of England, I imagine huh? Kind of like the rolling green hills that William Wallace marched across in the movie BraveHeart? A British girl told me once that England is depicted in American movies as being much more sentimental about its past culture than it really is in real life.

Oops now we're really getting off topic in this thread.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby brett » 17 Aug 2009, 05:07

brett

Postby Eteponge » 17 Aug 2009, 09:16

I've seen previous DragonCon Debates on YouTube and all of the "Paranormal Research Guests" seemed to be Skeptic Cannon Fodder, easy targets. They didn't have good debating skills, shyed away from presenting actual evidence, and some went on a rant about how the Randi Challenge isn't legit so they shouldn't have to present anything, it's already been proven, blah blah blah. No substance, and makes any serious researcher in these fields look bad.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby Scepcop » 17 Aug 2009, 13:09

I agree Eteponge. Unfortunately though, if the organizers of DragonCon only wish to have easy targets that the skeptics can make canon fodder out of (kind of like how daytime talk shows like to bring on the stupidest people that represent what they want to trash), that means that if they perceive that I have a chance of winning the skeptics in a debate or making them look bad, they might decide it's not in their best interest to have us. lol

So maybe it's better if I present myself as stupid? lol
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Purple Scissor » 17 Aug 2009, 14:28

I hope you get to debate. Some of the people on this forum know much more about the paranormal than I do, especially in terms of names, dates, histories, so I would be very bad in a public debate, but that is a much-needed role. So if you can do that it will be a great thing. Make it a Sheldrake/Wolpert.
Purple Scissor

Postby ciscop » 17 Aug 2009, 15:46

FIRST THAN ALL... i am honestly sorry to hear about your lost brett, i trust you will get better.

and now...
eteponge and scescop
i congratulate you in having big balls and going to to dragoncon
thats admirable
hope you can get in
a quick advice

dont start bashing in dragoncon just yet (you select easy targets, they dont have debate knowledge.. etc.. etc..)
dont engage in dicussions now winston, wait until january and follow the procedure already stated, follow their rules right now, so lets wait till january and then apply for that. :-D

and

if i might add.. since i am a skeptic
i would recommend not mentioning or using homeopathy
since is just water and they will explain placebos and ridiculize you, since science has debunked homeopathy thats like giving away the debate. go with the other unexplainable things in paranormal, but focus in some areas.

so i would go for esp, precoignition, examples of predictions, data of how many people believe in esp (i think is like 50% in america) and stuff is not proven scientificly (does that word exist?)
so get ready to the debate, collect data and numbers (skeptics language) but dont start arguing with them just yet, it isnt time and you dont want to win a debate with dragoncon organizers, you want to win a debate with shermer and the other folks.

so good luck
and i honestly applaud your courage
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Purple Scissor » 18 Aug 2009, 03:23

Purple Scissor

Next

Return to General Discussions