[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
This skeptic blogger girl has the wrong idea about this site : General Discussions - Page 3 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

This skeptic blogger girl has the wrong idea about this site

Discuss General Topics.

Re: This skeptic blogger girl has the wrong idea about this site

Postby ciscop » 11 Aug 2009, 11:13

For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Scepcop » 11 Aug 2009, 11:29

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 11 Aug 2009, 11:37

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby LinzeeBinzee » 11 Aug 2009, 12:06

Thanks ciscop :)

I think the problem started when, in the 9th comment on that post on my blog I said this: "I’m being completely sincere in asking if you could show me one piece of good evidence for it." I shouldn't have said that because there was nothing specific that we were talking about. I was saying there's no evidence for anything supernatural, UFOs, etc. but that's so vague. I can't just go and say show me evidence for whatever claim, because then I'll get exactly what I got: links to all kinds of things.

I don't believe in a lot of the things you believe in, but I'm not interested in it either. I haven't seen a reason to believe in psychics, UFOs, fairies, unicorns, gods, but I'm not looking for a reason to believe either. It just doesn't interest me. If I happen upon the evidence then fine, I'll change my mind. But I'm not interested in actively looking for it. If I were actually looking for it then I think I would have been wrong to ignore everything you posted. It was just sheer disinterest in the topic that stopped me from reading a lot of what you posted.

I started my blog to post about things I learn and get excited about, and things that I'm interested in. I also post about things I recognize as bullshit. I enjoy just posting about things as I notice them, I'm not an investigator or anything, and when I see something, like my posts about bigfoot,it gives me a chance to work on my critical thinking skills.

I don't pretend that my critical thinking skills are developed, and when I started asking for evidence without specifying what I was looking for evidence for, I screwed up. The truth is that I wasn't looking for evidence for anything at all, I was trying unsuccessfully to convince you that you were wrong about people you call pseudo-skeptics.

And now my idiotic ramblings are in your treatise. Fantastic.
LinzeeBinzee

Postby ciscop » 11 Aug 2009, 13:37

personally i think that was awesome
i hope i screw it with winston sometime so i can be included too
hahahahaha i dont mind :D
maybe it should be called the ¨linzeebinzee syndrome¨
when the skeptic asks for information regardless if he/she cares for the information and has no desire of reading it
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by the way eteponge
nice info you found there, i think we should start a thread about those
Last edited by ciscop on 11 Aug 2009, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Purple Scissor » 11 Aug 2009, 13:50

linzeebinzee, That is a great reply. Very honest, which is unusual. I think you aroused our ire because you said bad stuff without investigating. Certainly, you could not have investigated, because that would be years of work (or at least quite a bit, to get a layman's overview). Only those who are willing to give the subject a chance at convincing them will put a lot of time into studying it. Thus, you have a bunch of ignorant skeptics. But it is refreshing that you are willing to admit that you just are not interested.

P.S. I take it you are not going to criticize without investigating again (;
Purple Scissor

Postby Eteponge » 11 Aug 2009, 14:27

"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby Eteponge » 11 Aug 2009, 14:31

"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby Scepcop » 11 Aug 2009, 15:29

Linzee, I congratulate your honesty too. But I wonder still, if you aren't interested in evidence then why did you ask for it? My theory is that when you asked for evidence, you believed that I could not give you any, so it was a sort of taunt. Then, if I was unable to point to any evidence, as you hoped, you would use that to support your case. That was your plan wasn't it? (or what you subconsciously planned)
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 11 Aug 2009, 15:55

Eteponge,
By the way, I wrote DragonCon and the organizers said that the debate between skeptics and believers this year was cancelled cause no one from the paranormal side wanted to participate. They invited us to register as guests next year to participate in debating people like Michael Shermer or James Randi or whoever shows up on their side. Would you be interested in registering with me to debate them? I think you and I would make a "dream team" :)

Does anyone know where DragonCon is held exactly?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Eteponge » 11 Aug 2009, 20:05

Eteponge

Postby ProfWag » 11 Aug 2009, 20:47

ProfWag

Postby LinzeeBinzee » 11 Aug 2009, 21:46

LinzeeBinzee

Postby ciscop » 12 Aug 2009, 00:02

ciscop

Postby LinzeeBinzee » 12 Aug 2009, 00:44

LinzeeBinzee

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions