[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
What is the logic behind celebrating a New Year? : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

What is the logic behind celebrating a New Year?

Discuss General Topics.

What is the logic behind celebrating a New Year?

Postby Scepcop » 01 Jan 2012, 01:06

I don't get something. What is the logic behind celebrating a "New Year"? I think this is one of those things where people celebrate it because "everyone else is doing it". But if you think about it, there's no logic behind it at all. I mean, an additional digit on a calendar year is not any sort of "event" that is happy or unhappy. It is not a positive or negative event. And it is not any sort of accomplishment to be proud of either. So why celebrate it?

It's understandable to celebrate some happy event, accomplishment, or new deal. Those are merits to celebrate. But just because a number moves in a calendar? If you think about it, there's no logic or reason behind it. It's an empty excuse to celebrate and party. Society ought to think of better reasons to celebrate things. Obviously, New Year is way overrated and devoid of any substance. What is so happy about a New Year? One has no idea what a "New Year" will even bring. So how is it a "positive event"? It isn't. It makes no sense.

People are not rational or driven by logic. They are programmed and conformist. This is a classic case of "people doing something only because everyone else is doing it."
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: What is the logic behind celebrating a New Year?

Postby ProfWag » 01 Jan 2012, 02:33

Any ol' excuse for a drink, Scepcop. New Year's, birthdays, and any day that ends in a "Y" is good enough for me for a beer, eh?
ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 01 Jan 2012, 02:42

It's cultural psychology; a specific date in which "change" is to happen as we say good-bye to the past, supposedly letting go of grievances and short-comings, even debts -- a forgive & forget kind of thing and so, being life anew and without such negative baggage in our minds and upon one's "shoulders" as it were.

While we've all forgotten what the Auld Lang Syne song originally suggested we still sing it with a glass raised, after all we will create and embrace any good reason to get drunk and act like fools with our fellows, right?
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 01 Jan 2012, 04:16

What's wrong with a community creating shared events to celebrate? Celebration is a good thing. We used to celebrate various seasons, guess we've reduced it to once a year.
Arouet

Postby Scepcop » 01 Jan 2012, 04:20

Furthermore, most people are slaves to the system. They have nothing to celebrate each year except another year of slavery. Why don't they seek ways to become free instead?

Most plans or New Year resolutions either don't happen or end up being disappointments anyway. It's the same every year. It's nothing to celebrate, just more of the same. Next year, people will then say that the year was disappointing, and hope for a better one next year, and so forth, ad nauseum. It's pointless and fruitless and results in nothing - no changes or improvements.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 01 Jan 2012, 04:34

Happy New Year to you too, SCEPCOP!
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 01 Jan 2012, 20:46

Ya know, it all turns out the way YOU make it turn out. If you choose to have a shit life it's nobody's fault but your own. Hell, by most people's standards I have a crap life but the thing is, I don't let all the stuff that "should" get me down, win. I can't! I enjoy the ride far too much to do so (and besides, my cat needs me).

For a person that feels oppressed, paranoid, and afraid of everything life is going to be hellish; I'm watching my 76 year old father die just such a death in that he's been afraid of everything his whole life and never dealt with any of it. Now he's a lonely bitter old man that don't understand why he's so alone. . . not recognizing that it's been his inability to trust and his audacity to think he's always right even when arguing a point with people that have far more schooling and intellectual savvy than he. . . I personally hope the old bastard finally keels over just so my mother can have some peace in her final days, but that's another issue, entirely.
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 01 Jan 2012, 21:26

ProfWag

Postby Jayhawker30 » 02 Jan 2012, 14:55

What's the logic behind living?
Jayhawker30

Postby Arouet » 03 Jan 2012, 00:13

Arouet

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 28 Apr 2012, 04:08

"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Return to General Discussions