[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Psychiatrists expose the fraud of Psychiatry : Philosophy / Psychology - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Psychiatrists expose the fraud of Psychiatry

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

Re: Psychiatrists expose the fraud of Psychiatry

Postby Scepcop » 06 Nov 2011, 09:37

Psychologists Know Nothing About Themselves - Osho

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby craig weiler » 06 Nov 2011, 10:24

My uncle is a paranoid schizophrenic. You don't need to be a psychiatrist to come to this conclusion; he really is delusional in exactly that way. He thinks that his mind and body are controlled by the US Army which is using alien mind control technology on him.

Any sane person who hangs around him long enough realizes that the machine conveniently lets him do things that he wants to do while preventing him from doing things that he doesn't want to do. The machine will change its mind if events force him into a situation that he doesn't like, but has to accept.

In other words, he's mentally sick in a very specific way that psychiatry has recognized and labelled. As long as he takes a specific type of medication in the correct dosage he is OK.

I'm not saying that psychiatry is perfect or that people aren't being over-prescribed for mental conditions that might not warrant any chemical intervention, but psychiatry also has quite a few wins under its belt as well. At worst, it's a mixed bag.
A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.
craig weiler

Postby Scepcop » 08 Nov 2011, 04:22

Can anyone explain why psychologists have such a high suicide rate?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Nov 2011, 06:45

NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 08 Nov 2011, 21:48

ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 08 Nov 2011, 23:58

Here's an interesting article from Psychology Today on physicians being the highest group.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... icide-rate

The reason they give is interesting: that it's not necessarily the profession itself, but access. Physicians have a higher number of suicides by overdose. Basically they have easier access than most people.
Arouet

Postby DrOscarGhelberMd » 19 Apr 2012, 10:45

We provide Psychiatric evaluation and treatment for adults, children and adolescents, and the women’s emotional health center and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.
DrOscarGhelberMd

Postby Arouet » 19 Apr 2012, 11:38

Arouet

Postby kalinda » 16 Jul 2012, 23:14

People make money off of turning real things into conspiracies. I mean, like, I HAD paranoid delusions at one point in the past and have recovered through therapy/meds.

There is proof that these problems occur in families and can be passed on. My mother has bipolar schizophrenia and I have a milder form of it, she's untreated and can still drive and seems to be gettin better but she goes in cycles, one minute she's happy as a clam the next she's angry about absolutely nothing and complaining her legs were surgically removed and re-implanted.

She has very scarry delusions but is not threatening and there-fore, no help is offered. It's kind of ironic how the whole thing creates so much stress for people, whether you are recovering or can't recover. I hadn't even experienced them that bad. It's scary, and it's really hard because it's like an alien invader has taken over the person you love and know....because schizophrenia may not be a personality disorder per se, but it alters the perceptions enough to affect the personality too it seems or something like that.

For me, after i took medication on most occasions it was like a fog had been lifted. But at first I was really non-compliant and thought I was fine...but I was very manic. I think I've gone through all the types of schizophrenic problems but like a small dose, and not significantly. The thing is I did adapt to it and I want to. I really hate this illness with a passion, but it IS real to some degree, no matter the cause the effects are obvious. I still want to know the real root cause. I still go on med vacations because over time I wonder if it's going to worsen or impair me...so I'm really really worried about that.

You all should look up Elyn Saks on TED talks. She's another survivor of schizophrenia. I know that psychiatry really has the "extreme illness model" in its pockets...meaning it kinda depends on there being a NEED for it...but I think psychiatry is also becoming outdated and so are their treatment perspectives. I want a healthier lifestyle and I still beleive I can cure most of it, because really....you can't depend on their model, all it says is we are preventing a possible relapse, but it doesn't offer anything else to combat it. Aka there's still no cure yet.

Then again you're all probably wondering why I sound so clear headed. And this is probably also DUE the stigma surrounding the disorder. The brain disease model though imperfect does help some people...The movie "A Beautiful Mind" was actually a more accurate portrayal of schizophrenia that I can think of. You can't tell what's what...it feels kinda like a quantum leap in time. Relativity changes everything.

I have no problem talking about my own health issues, if people can talk about their problems why cant I? Oh, because some crazy drug addict who also had psychosis is giving everyone else with a brain illness a picture of some kinda criminal or wackjob...the media disorts the truth against everyone, esp immigrants and minorities. Please keep that in mind. People with schizophrenia are a kinda minority group just because of the complexity of the disorder...

Brain or Mental Illness does not mean automatic instability.
kalinda

Postby ATraveller » 15 Aug 2012, 23:41

Just a quick note: CCHR was openly associated with Scientology some years back, and is funded by them according to Wikipedia. I'd take anything from there with a large grain of salt.

That being said, it can't be denied that the biological model is in trouble. But I believe that the problem lies in psychiatric diagnosis being very vague - they tend to lump a lot of symptoms together, such as loosing or gaining weight, and sleeping more or less. Secondly, lets face it: When do emotions become pathological? I guess we can all agree that you are probably off the scale if the Angels start speaking to you, but what if you think that your phone is tapped? How can any of us be certain that is not true? Especially in this paranoid day and age?

However, I can personally testify that antidepressants do work. And while I cannot conclusively rule out that it was a placebo effect, then I find it unlikely, all other things being equal (I didn't like my shrink, I hated taking the pills, and I had no expectations that they'd work).

The answer seems to be 42 - now we just have to work out the question :mrgreen:
ATraveller

Postby SydneyPSIder » 30 Sep 2012, 20:53

SydneyPSIder

Postby jasonsmith » 23 Sep 2016, 12:14

I have read about this branch of psychiatry! follow and see how your name can influence your career!
jasonsmith

Previous

Return to Philosophy / Psychology