Sponsors: Expat Living Forum


View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version          Join Mailing List


Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Discussion about UFO's, Aliens, ET's, Alien Abductions, Ancient Astronaut theories, etc.
User avatar
Posts: 3782
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby ProfWag » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:56 am


Share |

"Hong Kong physicists say they have proved that a single photon obeys Einstein's theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light -- demonstrating that outside science fiction, time travel is impossible."
http://news.yahoo.com/hong-kong-scienti ... 26913.html

Now, if time travel is impossible, would that not pretty much put an end to the discussion of how UFOs could possibly get here since that's usually the leading explanation?






User avatar
Posts: 2544
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby Arouet » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:19 pm



I hate the word impossible. Why not stick to highly improbable?

User avatar
Posts: 3782
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby ProfWag » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:28 pm



Arouet wrote:I hate the word impossible. Why not stick to highly improbable?

Well, although scientifically speaking nothing is impossible, the point they are trying to make is that time travel was previously thought to be highly improbably, but now they figure it's just as close to impossible as possible... (Hell, I don't know, I didn't write the darn paper...) :-)

User avatar
Posts: 3913
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 am

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby NinjaPuppy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:44 pm



ProfWag wrote:
Arouet wrote:I hate the word impossible. Why not stick to highly improbable?

Well, although scientifically speaking nothing is impossible, the point they are trying to make is that time travel was previously thought to be highly improbably, but now they figure it's just as close to impossible as possible... (Hell, I don't know, I didn't write the darn paper...) :-)

Is this on a more reliable scientific source like YouTube yet?

User avatar
Posts: 3782
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby ProfWag » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 am



NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
Arouet wrote:I hate the word impossible. Why not stick to highly improbable?

Well, although scientifically speaking nothing is impossible, the point they are trying to make is that time travel was previously thought to be highly improbably, but now they figure it's just as close to impossible as possible... (Hell, I don't know, I didn't write the darn paper...) :-)

Is this on a more reliable scientific source like YouTube yet?

Couldn't tell ya' as I don't know how to spell youtube... :-)

User avatar
Posts: 2544
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby Arouet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:24 am



The best we can ever do is go with: As far as we know, and "highly improbable". We don't know what we don't know. We don't know what may be possible. There's just no point in going to "impossible".

User avatar
Posts: 1528
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:20 pm
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby Craig Browning » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:02 am



Arouet wrote:I hate the word impossible. Why not stick to highly improbable?


I think that's a perspective I could live with. . . seen far too much over the years that prove the fact that the impossible doesn't exist.

User avatar
Posts: 3782
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby ProfWag » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:30 pm



Here's a question: I'll say it's impossible for me to take a flying leap and land in Australia. Now, is that impossible or highly improbable? Technically, it would be highly improbable, but at what point, statistically speaking, does an action become so highly improbable that it should be considered impossible for all intents and purposes?

User avatar
Posts: 2544
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby Arouet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:02 pm



ProfWag wrote:Here's a question: I'll say it's impossible for me to take a flying leap and land in Australia. Now, is that impossible or highly improbable? Technically, it would be highly improbable, but at what point, statistically speaking, does an action become so highly improbable that it should be considered impossible for all intents and purposes?


It is possible that next time I go to open a door that my hand will pass through it. But it is highly improbable. Extremely highly improbable. So why call it impossible?

Now, I could go with the qualifier "as far as we know", I guess. So its impossible, as far as we know, for anything to travel faster than the speed of light. Or: "we know of no way for an object - even a phton - to travel faster than the speed of light. But why go to impossible? It just sounds dogmatic and frankly doesn't add any understanding.

We have no idea what may be discovered in the future. Perhaps there is technology that allows one to bend space time and travel through unscathed. Or travel through a worm hole. Or pass through universes, or any number of imagined or unimagined things. Perhaps if humanity survives for a million more years much of what we think is impossible will have become possible.

Again: we don't need to go there, and you will simply get negative reactions and accusations of dogmatism.

User avatar
Posts: 3913
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 am

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby NinjaPuppy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:38 am



Impossible? I'm with Arouet, "impossible" is a mighty strong word.

Think of all of the things that were considered impossible 2,000 years ago, 300 years ago or even 100 years ago when I was born.

User avatar
Posts: 3782
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby ProfWag » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:37 am



NinjaPuppy wrote:Impossible? I'm with Arouet, "impossible" is a mighty strong word.

Think of all of the things that were considered impossible 2,000 years ago, 300 years ago or even 100 years ago when I was born.

I'm not a mathmetician, but I seem to remember that certain aspects of math can actually be impossible. For example, 2 x 2 cannot equal 5. It's impossible. Any math experts know for sure?

User avatar
Posts: 2544
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby Arouet » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 am



ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Impossible? I'm with Arouet, "impossible" is a mighty strong word.

Think of all of the things that were considered impossible 2,000 years ago, 300 years ago or even 100 years ago when I was born.

I'm not a mathmetician, but I seem to remember that certain aspects of math can actually be impossible. For example, 2 x 2 cannot equal 5. It's impossible. Any math experts know for sure?


Sure, there are logical impossibilities, and defiitional ones.

User avatar
Posts: 1528
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:20 pm
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby Craig Browning » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:37 am



ProfWag wrote:Here's a question: I'll say it's impossible for me to take a flying leap and land in Australia. Now, is that impossible or highly improbable? Technically, it would be highly improbable, but at what point, statistically speaking, does an action become so highly improbable that it should be considered impossible for all intents and purposes?


Now you're just being evil :twisted:

User avatar
Posts: 2544
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby Arouet » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:15 pm



The big problem with saying that its impossible is that we don't know what we might learn in the future that would change our assessment of the situation. I agree that based on what we currently know, it may be impossible. You've heard me argue the distance problem is one of the biggest reasons to doubt aliens have visied this planet. But we don't know what physics may be discovered in the future that changes the whole picture. Maybe a hypedrive is possible. Or bending space time. Or something else. We just don't know.

We're just plain better off staying away from impossible: what is the benefit in using that term?

User avatar
Posts: 3913
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 am

Re: Evidence that UFO's Cannot be from Other Planets?

Postby NinjaPuppy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 pm



Arouet wrote:We're just plain better off staying away from impossible: what is the benefit in using that term?

But it's impossible to stay away from that word on this forum! Just like it's impossible to stay away from a classic YouTube video as solid proof:



It's impossible to tell the sun to leave the sky,
It's just impossible.
It's impossible to ask a baby not to cry,
It's just impossible.
Can I hold you closer to me
And not feel you going through me,
But the second that I never think of you?
Oh, how impossible.

Next

Return to UFO's / Aliens / ET's

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest