[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Did any of you have psychic powers when you were a child? : Share Your Paranormal and Psychic Experiences • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Did any of you have psychic powers when you were a child?

Share your paranormal and psychic experiences here. Do you have any stories of how you came to realize that there were other dimensions or levels of reality? NO SKEPTICS ALLOWED!

Did any of you have psychic powers when you were a child?

Postby Jackal » 20 Apr 2011, 01:02

I just saw a pretty crappy video about developing psychic powers, but one good point the man made was to think back to your childhood and try to remember if you had any unusual powers then. Children are more likely to remember their previous lives, so it might not be so strange if they were more in contact with their psychic abilities as well.

When I was a child, I once felt that I saw a ghost. I came downstairs in the morning on the weekend before anyone else was awake and I was shocked to see the distinct outline of a ghostly woman sitting on my sofa and I felt a feeling of fear and unease. Her form was translucent white, but the details of her appearance were not clear. I had the feeling that she may have lived in colonial times (I lived in the north east). People might say that it was just some kind of after-image halo, but I hadn't looked at anything bright beforehand.

Now that I think of it, I always felt uneasy in that apartment and often had feelings of unreasonable fear there. Additionally, I lived next door to a mentally-ill (probably schizophrenic) woman who would talk loudly for hours about some girl who seems to have died tragically. This crazy woman had the most horrible, gravelly, grating voice. There were also many large spiders and spiderwebs in that apartment. It was like something out of a horror movie.

Did any of you have any psychic experiences when you were a child?
Last edited by Jackal on 22 Apr 2011, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal

Re: Did any of you have psychic powers when you were a child

Postby Craig Browning » 20 Apr 2011, 02:17

If you were to look at things anthropologically you would find that most village shaman/healers, etc. were set aside when quite young based on a series of "markers' that would be noted; gender association typically topped the list in that sexual identity tends to first reveal itself sometime between 3 and 6 years of age, something that human behaviorists have been confirming more and more since the 1970s. The other things they look at are situations such as the child having conversations with the unseen. While modern researchers chalk this up to "Imaginary Friends" they are only partly correct in that assumption; where much of it short-termed imagination there is a secondary relevance in which this friend becomes a near constant companion for years at a time.

Then we come to Past-Life scenarios; when a toddler insists that his/her name is ___ and not what their birth certificate indicates. Not only that, but they can give you some strange item-specific details about that entity, where & when they lived, what was happening during that time and if they were confronted with items from that past or actually being in the place they associate with, the memories will intensify with details and recollection such as you find with the Buddhist traditions around the great teachers such as His Holiness the Dahlia Lama. On the other side of this coin, you will have such children "recognizing" people from these past life-times and being able to convey "facts" about these total strangers then and now.

The "Invisible" elements are a biggie in one other way; when family, family friends as well as community elders would see ancestors tied to such children, given them care and protection. In other words, a grandparent or even sibling that has passed over and yet they remain with this progeny as a kind of spiritual support team. Such things are almost always reported alongside seeing these children "glow" -- a unique radiance around the child especially when it is exceptionally happy, espousing certain information in a serious manner or, in the instance of natural healers, when in the process of healing something, which frequently includes gardening and helping plants (they always talk with plants).

I've got long memories of such things myself which is one reason why I started long ago, trying to understand why I was "different". The sad truth being that our Judeo-Christian culture simply adopted blinders and looked at these things in a negative light (proof the child was possessed) rather than nurturing such children and helping them grow to be the type of person they were born to be. In my case the acts of oppression ranged from beatings to lots of "laying on of hands" and having this and that preacher to group paying over me. . . after a bit over a year of it (I think it was) I simply learned to suppress things and not talk about them which was fine until puberty kicked in and said "things" started bombarding me again, this time in a very intense manner. They were accompanied by a reunion of sorts, with my childhood chum -- that imaginary friend I had from the time I was roughly 3 1/2 well into my 6th and 7th year.

Everyone will have one or two of these things happen around them in that everyone is born with some level of "sensitivity" and when it comes to spiritual factors, we all have ancestors that will nurture & protect us when we are young, this is something that most all world cultures share when it comes to general belief.

When it comes to "Psychic Development" I simply believe that 90% of what's being put out there is pure tripe; an amalgamation of western & (mostly) eastern occultism that's been commercialized over the past few centuries, most notably since the latter 1800s with two huge spikes in the late 1960s/early 70s followed by the 1980's resurgence (when those that were young during the hippie era, wanted to recapture what they thought things were previously. . . just without all the narcotics this time around; the focus was more on health, alternative healing and looking pretty. . . becoming "wealthy") . While having someone to guide you when you are ready to remember your psychic side is almost necessary, finding a guru that expects obedience and servitude is not. Any genuine teacher GIVES and does so freely; they are compelled to serve the Universe and no their own pocket-books, egos and dreams. That is not saying that some form of exchange doesn't happen, it must! You can't get something from nothing, but when it comes to this kind of thing the exchange is rarely a thing of currency or barter. But as I've intimated, such teacher-student connections are rare and frequently mean that the student will end up meeting many teachers over many years, learning what they can from each for the time they are together. In my experience the "teachers" I've known have rarely been some ego sitting on a pink pillow and telling me to chant; most were crusty old salts that simply understood life, nature and people; they spoke in unflattering ways (according to the pretty ones) about the beauty and wonder within life and how "man" loves to ruin it all.

I acknowledge only a handful of formal "commercial" personalities as mentors in my life; Louise Hay and to a far lesser degree Marianne Williamson are two of the better known followed by Bro. Anthony Penera () and Joseph B. Wilson (T.O.T.E.G.) my real teachers however, came about as I needed to "hear" their voice -- when the student is ready, the teacher will come -- not all such teachers are physical or even human, it's amazing how much you can learn form a dog or cat when it comes to unconditional love that really is "unconditional" -- how you can gain a better comprehension on Reincarnation by reading about a Seagull named Jonathan or true metaphysical thinking by flying about the country in bi-plans as was done when reading the book ILLUSIONS by the same author.

It's no easy journey in our current age but the Piscean influence is in the wane as Aquarius shifts into power. . . unfortunately, it's going to be at least another century before we really see the effects of such things and too, there's going to be a bit of hell to pass through prior to finding "heaven" -- a restoration of mankind actually finding "the divine" in ALL facets of in life -- in ALL things. Funny, how nearly loosing it all tends to be the only thing that wakes us up, isn't it? :?

Anywho... my thought train has derailed somehow so I'll leave things here for the moment. :oops:
Craig Browning

Postby Jackal » 20 Apr 2011, 03:34

Jackal

Postby Craig Browning » 21 Apr 2011, 00:00

:lol: Kind of... the book title is actually "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" most people can read it in a few hours, a day at most. I was introduced to it when I was about 15 and read it about every other year since then, it's one of my favorite adventures.

While I respect your views and where you are at in traversing you path at present, I'm one of those people that have found more than sufficient reason to avoid the majority of religious "cults"/organizations run and managed by man; even your benevolent Buddhist have a blood-drenched history in which they were the oppressors. Fortunately, they woke-up and realized their transgressions, I fear the world won't survive intact when it comes to the two younger traditions (Christianity & Islam) to come to a similar realization and stop fighting for dominion over all of the earth and it's inhabitants; both desire the manifestation of Judgment Day based on their scriptural idea, not realizing what it will actually be (and I'm certain you know what I'm implying here).

As I've stated, I believe that we all need guides/teachers that can help us when it comes to understanding and direction, but I do not believe that we require one single individual upon whom to lean and depend upon. To my mind such things are limiting and lead toward dogma rather than balance. Too, all such teachers are human and as such, will reflect favoritism as well as prejudice and even ego. . . even Buddha warns of this as did Jesus. Probably why I tend to embrace a more Gnostic ideology that has been reflected in A Course in Miracles -- We are All Teachers, Healers & Students. . .

Personally I believe the whole point made in the creation tale echoed in the Book of Genesis, the idea that man was created in his (god's) image does not mean the physical shell we inhabit but the fact that we all host a spark of divinity within. When we consider that, coupling it with the "Golden Rule" we find that we cannot loathe any other being in that it is an aspect of the Divine and thus, the things that distinguish it as "different" are aspects of the divine we must learn to understand, learn from and embrace rather than fear, subdue, demonize and avoid... and so that our skeptical friends aren't left out of this conversation I will point out that their points of view are included in this challenge, in that what they offer does carry a rather large spark of "truth" to it. Unfortunately their gospel, like the beliefs of others, has become exaggerated and driven forward by egos that seek conquest and domination rather than extending the very honor and respect they want from those they persecute -- it is a two-way street which is why I've always stated that a mid-point exists at which agreement can (and eventually will) be found.

There are common "golden threads" of wisdom shared by most of the world's great religions which, to my mind at least, is where "Truth" lays. Until we all learn to sit our ego's to the side and embrace these common thoughts, applying them as the cornerstones of society & culture, humankind will never be able to actually move forward on the mental & spiritual plains and thus, catch-up with the carnal progress we've seen over the past few centuries, let alone the last decade. We need to toss all the commentary -- man's act of putting words into the mouth of the divine -- and consolidate; establishing a mind-set that's closest to Taoism (for lack of a better inference), the only major philosophy known in recorded history, in which no aggression was ever enacted toward or against others. It really was a way of life the encouraged prosperity, harmony and mutual appreciation in ways that were free of greed and seemingly the other half-dozen deadly sins as well. Certain facets of the gnostic traditions mirrored this way of being but the empire building antics of the Orthodoxy prevented it from taking root. . . but hey, those Roman's couldn't help but cave in when it came to their blood lust and need to control others :twisted:
Craig Browning

Postby Jackal » 21 Apr 2011, 05:55

Jackal

Postby Jackal » 21 Apr 2011, 06:07

I will talk about another experience I had when I was a teenager.

One night, I awoke from the most horribly evil dreams, but I didn't awake normally. It was almost like I was still half asleep and filled with the most chilling visions of hell-like places and horribly cruel ideas. I partially delighted at the excess of evil ideas and it was almost like I was in communication with some demon. I initially felt compelled to write these things down as a book, but then I regained some control and thought, "No, it would be immoral to bring such an evil book into the world. I will not write anything down," and then went back to bed.

The next day, I awoke and I was mostly normal. In some ways, I wish I had written my evil thoughts down that night because then if I had looked at them the next morning and seen that they were only silly, ramblings then I could have easily dismissed the whole experience. But the fact that I didn't keeps me wondering about my nocturnal encounter with the most pure evil.
Jackal

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Apr 2011, 18:45

This is a very interesting convo.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Craig Browning » 21 Apr 2011, 23:20

You'll never convince me to that there is a reason to embrace one single teacher; if they breathe they have karma issues, which includes creating new karma, even Buddha said this. The process you speak of is much akin to the followers of Jesus that test the waters with this and that church or clergyman until they find the right fit... a Goldilocks scenario, you might say.

My personal views aren't western or eastern, they are a culmination of both; I've had decades of exposure to eastern (particularly Asian) perspective via the Martial Arts and schooling I've taken in certain facets of healing science (herbology, acupressure & Reiki) as well as my personal studies in philosophy. I've actually sat with 30 feet of His Holiness during a visit he made to the L.A. area about 25 years ago but likewise, I've been sat relatively close to the Pope and I'm nowhere close to being Catholic (absolutely no connections to said group, family wide). I could add a short list of other individuals that have been classified as being "special" or "holy" not as a boast but to sustain fact that it's all the same -- all of it! All paths contain an aspect of the same truth but no one path is the complete truth and most importantly, no one path is right for each person; we are individuals, we are born into the world as such and will leave it as such -- alone! (at least, on the physical level). This is what each person... all things... must deal with first, before it is ready to understand its interconnection with the Universe.

We are "All Things" simply because we have been "all things". . . so to speak. The theory of reincarnation suggesting an evolution of the soul-self or consciousness through which we start off as the monad and unfold. We must experience several life-times in each form before we can thoroughly comprehend the lessons that stage has to offer. If we are of the fortunate few, we can move on within roughly 5 cycles in that state; that's roughly 1,000 years per stage of human form existence, which translates into hundreds of incarnations before we are prepared to move to the next level of spiritual evolution. . . and that's if we are getting every lesson "right" with each phase we enter, something few of us will do. . . even Buddha points that great fact out.

I'm not wishing to change or challenge your thinking even though I am obliged to given you those perspectives "spirit" (for lack of a better term) shows me or guides me to express -- insights and points of view you seem to need to hear presently. . . not my opinion, but simply the way things work in the world; when the student is ready, a teacher will be revealed -- when we come to a point in our life in which a particular type of lesson is required, it will come to us in one form, via one path, or another; there's simply no getting around it.
. . . and before it's said, this has nothing to do with "destiny" theory or the idea that all things are set in stone. It has to do with education and when someone is "ready" to progress and so, new lessons are presented. The student can accept the lesson and advance through it or they can deny the opportunity, stagnating for a time, until another opportunity arises to take the lesson again. Then too, they may take the lesson, believing they are ready and fail to fully understand things and thus, (as with most of us) have to come back and try again in a new incarnation.

We all have our freedom of choice but we likewise have an obligation to learn, to grow and evolve. Even in Greek lore and as far back as Babylon, the god's seemed to only admire those mortals who did not depend upon them as much, who had the audacity to shake their fists are the gods and challenge their word. You even see it in the Old Testament, as Abraham, David, Moses and other prophets grew frustrated with the duplicity of god's action. My belief, given these examples, is that "man" is to become more independent; acknowledge the divine but don't lean on it -- don't make it your only source of strength or "blame" it for the good and bad that happens in life. ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY in and of yourself and one another!

Jesus and other noted "prophets" likewise spoke out against professional clergy, the priesthood and even the idea of having buildings that were ornately decorated for the sake of honoring the divine, pointing out that "God" is everywhere -- wherever you are, so you will find the divine. Jesus went so far as to laugh at the fools that testified in town squares and he would condemn those that boasted of their good works and huge tithes made to the temple; those that used the idea of temple patronage as a social-political statement. . . including the all so popular "My God Can Beat Your God Up" routine.

Jesus, along with Krishna, Buddha, and a long list of other "divine teachers" all taught us to go within and find the divine WITHIN, not outside of ourselves, not in the essence of any one teacher, but from the altar of the soul -- our own gut, if you would. Our gut, when we are honest, is the only guru we actually require; it is where the conscious and subconscious minds communicate and help us wake-up. My experience proving that 90% or more of this "awakening" comes from direct education -- Gnosis/Knowledge! "Wisdom" does not come from gullibility but by asking questions and then listening with both, your gut as well as your intellect; it is only when these two aspects of the mind come together that any semblance of "truth" becomes evident, albeit, a truth understood by the individual at that point in time, which is a malleable factor that shifts. As we learn more/experience more in life, our points of view will slowly evolve and move in new, more refined modes of understanding when it comes to certain things/issues, this is physical as well as metaphysical law in action, nothing is static! At the same time, these paradigm shifts must retain balance; a harmonizing between logic and imagination -- yin & yang, etc.

I'll not ramble any further in that I would hope what's been said allows at least some glimpse of clarity here. . . at lest, when it comes to how I've come to understand things and why. You will note that this explanation likewise shows why I give stronger support towards pragmatism and the rational mode of things over the fantastic, even though I believe there is both, room and reason for the phenomenal -- it's important and not as mythical or even elusive as the rational-delusion leads us to believe at times. But that's another issue all together.
Craig Browning

Postby Jackal » 22 Apr 2011, 01:18

Jackal

Postby Craig Browning » 22 Apr 2011, 06:35

Ok... enough.

I did this "your reality vs. my reality" thing with new agers 30 years ago; reality is reality and most religious thinking leads us away from it.

If you feel that you need the chanting, the incense, a guru and all that stuff that's perfectly fine, it's where you need to be. But how you are presenting things offers an arrogance to it (for lack of a better term); especially when you consider that none of what Lord Buddha actual said, exists. Even according to Buddhist historians and chroniclers, most of the teachings are ATTRIBUTED to Buddha but probably came about as a collection of analogies taken from a number of different "Wise Men" from his era into the first and second century c.e. (and yes, I know the same is true with Jesus and even Mohamed. . . not that humankind is in a habit of creating God in man's likeness or anything :roll: )

If you check my posting history here, I don't do back & forth things well especially when hairsplitting comes into play; I have health issues that limit my recollection and likewise, my desire to cite specifics is null in most instances. Then there is the biggie in this case; polite people don't get into deep religious "discussion" and so I much step out on that point.

Blessed Be! ;)
Craig Browning

Postby Jackal » 22 Apr 2011, 07:19

Jackal

Postby Scepcop » 21 May 2011, 02:47

I saw an orb of light float into my bedroom from the window when I was 5 or 6. It pulsated with electronic sounds and seemed to paralyze me. I've never seen it again since, but it was very vivid. Uri Geller said he saw an orb as a child too. I wonder if it's some sort of sign.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 21 May 2011, 03:31

Yes! You are destined to pretend to have real powers and con millions!
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 22 May 2011, 00:16

Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 22 May 2011, 05:22

I was making a crack about Geller.
Arouet

Next

Return to Share Your Paranormal and Psychic Experiences