[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Extending the number of posts visible in a thread : Suggestions / Feedback • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Extending the number of posts visible in a thread

Post suggestions, ideas and feedback for SCEPCOP and this website. Propose and coordinate projects, plans, articles, site improvements, etc. Requests for new boards can be made here too.

Extending the number of posts visible in a thread

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Feb 2011, 21:33

SCEPCOP- We have a request to increase the number of posts per screen from 10 to 50.
NinjaPuppy

Re: Extending the number of posts visible in a thread

Postby Scepcop » 02 Mar 2011, 21:47

50 posts per page? Ick. Do you think that's a good idea? That would increase the load time of each page, which might slow down the computers of some users here.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? Right now, it is set to show 10 posts per page. I guess we could increase it to 15. But 50? Wow that's a lot.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 02 Mar 2011, 22:39

Arouet

Postby Scepcop » 02 Mar 2011, 23:48

Ok I looked in the Admin Panel and found no feature that allows you to decide how many posts you view per page. All I found was a selection field to input how many posts should be displayed per page. So for now, I've raised the posts per page from 10 to 20. As they say, change should be gradual, right? lol

So is 20 ok for now? How many people want this? Just you?

I also raised the topics displayed in the board categories from 30 to 50.

Sound good?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 02 Mar 2011, 23:55

Btw Arouet,
Keep in mind that some threads have images and YouTube videos in them, so having a lot of posts per page might slow down loading times for those with slower computers.

Also, you asked me before to try to turn off the board feature that says something like "Another post was made while you were composing your post. Do you wish to continue?" because sometimes you don't notice that notice and then assume that your post was submitted when it wasn't. Well I went into the Admin Panel, but could not find anything that would turn such a thing off.

If you want, I can make Ninjapuppy an Admin so that she can go into the Admin Panel and try to find such a feature, in case it exists but I couldn't find it.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 03 Mar 2011, 00:06

Arouet

Postby Scepcop » 03 Mar 2011, 00:18

Ok then. If Ninjapuppy agrees, I'll change her to Admin and she can go look. In the meantime, I think 20 posts per page is kind of a lot to scroll through, and looks overly large on my screen. So I'll change it to 15 instead.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 03 Mar 2011, 03:12

I would be glad to help with the Admin stuff.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 05 Mar 2011, 16:24

Ok I just upgraded Ninjapuppy to "Standard Admin" level. But her user name is still green. I don't know why it didn't turn red. I went into the Permissions Panel and applied Admin permissions. I'm not sure I did it right though.

Ninjapuppy, do you see a clickable link at the bottom or top that says "Adminstration Control Panel"? If so, try clicking on it and see if you can access the Admin Panel.

Btw, phpBB3's Admin Panel is known to be messy and tedious, but I know you're smart, so... :)

Anyhow, if you are able to access the Admin Panel, see if you can find a way to enable what Arouet requested above. He also wanted to see if we could turn off the feature that says "Another member has submitted a post. Would you like to review it before submitting your post?" which I agree is pointless and unnecessary.

Thanks.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 05 Mar 2011, 18:57

Thanks Scepcop.

I just stopped by the php website, and it looks like they have a bunch of mods to do this stuff. A quick scan revealed this:

Custom User Posts- and Topics-Per-Page MOD

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/c ... rpage_mod/

Not sure if there are others, but this seems to be the way to do it.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2011, 20:02

Hmmm, I was wondering if I was going to go 'red'. :lol:

I'll check it out.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2011, 20:05

Yup, it's there. I need to "re-authenticate" myself first. Give me a minute or two and I'll slip into something more 'authentic'. :D
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2011, 20:15

Done!

It will take me some time to get aquainted with the panel but I don't see a need to make any changes at this time. I love the new extended posts per page, thank you SCEPCOP and Arouet for suggesting it. So far, it has not slowed down the loading of my pages one bit and it makes it easier to follow each thread if I have to scroll back to catch up or re-read the early details.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2011, 20:17

I'm going to log out and log back in now to see if anything changes.

Nope. I'm still green, which is perfectly fine by me. SCEPCOP can be the 'Supreme Ultimate Ruler' around here. I do a much better 'second chair' anyway. :D
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 05 Mar 2011, 21:50

You are still green Ninjapuppy. Why haven't you turned red yet, like the black kitty did in this clip from "The Three Worlds of Gulliver"? lol

Anyway, were you able to get into the Admin Panel at least?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Next

Return to Suggestions / Feedback