[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics ? : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics ?

Discuss General Topics.

What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics ?

Postby Mazda » 11 Feb 2011, 21:38

I have tried unsuccesfully to find out. despite reading on it online and youtube..
I am beginning to think that no one really understands it either.. ;)

And why is it used so often by pseudoskeptics to try and refute things they dont like.

IMO there are laws that govern everything and to say that there can be such a thing as chaos does not make sense.
If there were the whole universe would fall apart.

And if there were ( chaos which was contained )then that is not really chaos , but a law we dont understand yet !
==========
this is my first post so greetings to everyone.

Just today i heard prof brian cox on radio mention that there couldnt be ghosts because it would go again the 2nd law. he then went on to say that there were no proofs in science , but constant theories which are always being adapted. which is just confusing.

i'm no scientist but im dismayed by their use of language . its like the French who understand English, but wont communicate with you unless you speak French.

hope you get the Gist of what Saying

so what simply if possible is the 2nd law ??

:?
Mazda

Re: What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics ?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Feb 2011, 21:41

Welcome Mazda! Zoom zoom!
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 11 Feb 2011, 22:48

I'm certainly no expert, but you might start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law ... modynamics

I can't fathom how you are able to conclude to that "pseudoskeptics" are wrong to rely on the 2nd law of thermodynamics to refute certain arguments when you admit to not having the foggiest idea of what it means.

Edit: you didn't say exactly that they were wrong to do so, but calling them pseudoskeptics who used it to refute things they don't like sort of implied it. Apologies if that is not what you were saying (though I suspect strongly it was)
Arouet

Postby Mazda » 11 Feb 2011, 23:13

Hello Ninjapup, hello Arouet

yes, it is foggy my understanding of it.
Like Prof Cox said this morning something about 'things tending to disorder'. But everything is order. everything is rhythm and pattern.
everything is cause and effect. there is no chaos. so whatever they think is the 2nd law is must be a mistaken belief.

Cox said ghosts ( i think he meant spirits) dont exist - because of the 2nd law.
But to those who know, spirits do exist ,and we have had plenty individual proof. So therefor Cox must be wrong about the 2nd law (whatever it is).
see..
Mazda

Postby Arouet » 11 Feb 2011, 23:43

Well if spirits are real. And Cox argued that spirits can't be real according to the 2nd Law, Then indeed Cox would be wrong. I'm not sure I'm with you on the spirits though...
Arouet

Postby really? » 12 Feb 2011, 04:16

really?

Postby Mazda » 12 Feb 2011, 21:09

Mazda

Postby really? » 12 Feb 2011, 21:27

really?

Postby Mazda » 12 Feb 2011, 22:52

Well , that's my original question !
Mazda

Postby Mazda » 14 Feb 2011, 04:55

thankfully , i have come across a much better description of 2nd law and entropy etc.

its very readable and easy to follow(so far) by Prof Frank L. Lambert

There is no chaos or disorder it is rather a 'dispersal of energy' ,.

( so How this disproves ghosts As Cox says is beyond me, since Spirits are no more material than mind is( although i expect an argument about that )

quote below:

Problem: entropy as disorder is hard to teach

The term "entropy" has been in use from early in the history of classical thermodynamics, and with the development of statistical thermodynamics and quantum theory, entropy changes have been described in terms of the mixing or "spreading" of the total energy of each constituent of a system over its particular quantized energy levels.

Such descriptions have tended to be used together with commonly used terms such as disorder and chaos which are ambiguous, and whose everyday meaning is the opposite of what they are intended to mean in thermodynamics.

guess ill be studying for a while now
;)
Mazda

Postby Arouet » 14 Feb 2011, 05:00

I'm not particularly crazy about "such and such" means that ghosts are impossible, because that's essentially an argument from ignorance. I would prefer to do it the other way: what evidence is there for ghosts? How reliable is it?
Arouet

Postby really? » 14 Feb 2011, 11:48

really?

Postby really? » 14 Feb 2011, 11:51

really?

Postby Arouet » 14 Feb 2011, 20:12

Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 14 Feb 2011, 20:16

NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to General Discussions