[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Scary unsettling film that was erased from my memory! WTF?! : Off-Topic Board • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Scary unsettling film that was erased from my memory! WTF?!

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

Scary unsettling film that was erased from my memory! WTF?!

Postby Scepcop » 11 Jun 2010, 22:40

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Scary unsettling film that was erased from my memory! WTF?!

Postby Scepcop » 11 Jun 2010, 22:50

Here are some IMDB reviews that do justice to this film!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265349/use ... s?start=10

"Brilliantly unsettling., 19 June 2008

Author: michael h from Atlanta, GA
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

If you're a fan of a good psychological scare, this film will stick with you for a long time. Richard Gere stars as John Klein, a Washington newspaper reporter who encounters a moth-like apparition driving home with his wife late one night. His wife dies mysteriously after the ensuing car accident and Klein becomes convinced this apparition was to blame. When he hears of similar sightings (a tall, thin, humanoid creature with moth-like wings and red glowing eyes) in a rural West Virginia town, he becomes obsessed with finding the truth.

Overall, this movie leaves you unsettled. The scares are like fleeting movement in the corner of a dark room. The viewer's discomfort is related to what's not seen and not understood. The more Klein tries to learn the truth, the more it seems clear he's in a losing battle. He looks like a man caught in a giant hamster wheel, running in circles, never moving any closer to understanding the reality of the Mothman. Over time, he begins to get calls from a "voice" calling itself Indrid Cold. These are some of the creepier phone conversations you'll ever hear. Is this really the Mothman contacting Klein with strange prophecies? Or is Klein just losing his grip on reality?

The film is very loosely inspired by John A. Keel's book describing actual events that happening in West Virginia some 30-40 years ago. Other than the Appalachian setting and the general Mothman mythology, the film doesn't share much in common with the book. The book is far less interesting. Keel was essentially a UFO conspiracy theorist and associated the Mothman appearances with many UFO sightings that occurred during the same period. The movie is much more sophisticated (although highly fictionalized) and keeps the Mothman's origins far more mysterious.

This film is for viewers who aren't afraid to be left with a lot of questions. It's clear early on Klein has become involved with something that's probably beyond human comprehension. The physical manifestation of the Mothman is never clearly seen or understood; it's more like a dark, malevolent shadow hanging over the small town. The atmosphere is relentlessly dark, creepy and unforgettable. You'll definitely be worried about a pair of red, glowing eyes appearing outside your window at night."

"One final note to critics that lambaste this film for all of it's so called short comings. True, this film does not offer an explanation or a true conclusion to what took place. But isn't that just the perfect note for it to end on? According to the prophet-like character, Alexander Leek, you are not supposed to understand this phenom. He tells Klein that you will go mad trying to figure it out. This is the only way to end the film. In a lesser film with an inferior director and writer, this film would have culminated with Klein and Connie finding some ancient manuscript in the basement of the library that tells them how to destroy it. They would have went to hallowed ground and summoned it and gotten rid of it. But this is not the tenth sequel of Friday the 13th and this certainly isn't ( with all due respect to Miner and Cunningham) Steve Miner and Sean Cunningham. This is an astute director teamed with a cunning and observant writer who believe in the pulchritude and darkness of the story and give it the respect that it deserves. This is not only one of the best horror films I have ever seen, it is one of the best films I have experienced in my 30 years. This is the pinnacle of film making from all parties involved.

10 out of 10.....A MASTERPIECE BY A MASTER OF MANIPULATION"

"One of the most intriguing modern legends is shown in a way it deserves., 24 December 2006

Author: from Poland

"Mothman Prophecies" is the only one movie which actually gave me shivers. I cannot get scared on a horror movies and I consider myself a bit handicapped due to it - hey, being scared should be a half of fun! ;) OK, "Mothman Prophecies" also didn't make me feel afraid. It made me feel uneasy. I sat in front of TV, watching beautiful, dark vistas of Point Pleasant almost frame-by-frame; hell, nowadays old factory and sleepy industrial town are better setting for horror then old castle or haunted mansion.

Movie is perfect - I mean that! - when it comes to visuals. Camera work is brilliant... and "red eyes" seem to be ubiquitous. Music is quite intimidating and actors' play... Masterpiece. Gere is wonderful, and the same applies to other main characters.

Maybe you won't understand why I'm talking only in superlatives here, but I assure you - you will if you watch it. One of the most intriguing modern legends is shown in a way it deserves."

"Nerves of ice, 22 December 2006

Author: Benjamin Wolfe from USA

With a story that has events taken from real life, it always has a higher chill factor. Again, I don't get-off, on slasher or horror flicks. The thing that does get to me and always has, is, things that could or did actually happened. The acting, albeit I am not a real, Gear fan per say, but the character that he played was done to the bone. This is the story of John and Mary Klein, newlyweds.

I felt the hair stand up on the back of my neck, in 2002 when I went to see this. It was the perfect time of year for a story of mystery and horror. It was set right in fall, turning into winter. Debra Messing was a young and beautiful wife to Richard Gear's character, they seemed at very least, to be the perfect little young couple. From, the house hunting mission that they were on, to the trip back to their home, when the first symbol appeared, it was very chilling. The type of scare, that is deep settling and the onset of an abrupt frigidness encompasses your body. The man that he John went to meet in regard to the 'phone-call' played by the very talented Will Patton, (Gordon Smallwood) was an eerie outing, that proved deadly for Patton's character. The Priest that met with Klein, to explain some of the occurrences, but not all.

Right on down to the drive that should have taken four or five hours, that seemed only, twenty minutes to the primary character, played by Richard Gear. I can say I have felt that I have been in that situation before. A sort of 'time' mystery traveling. I walked out of the theater, with a thoroughly washed out emotional chill factor inside of me. It was strange. The real stuff always is to me though.

A couple years later, I saw it again in 2004, at home after renting it and with the lights out, at 12 midnight, the chilling effect doesn't grow weaker! This film, whether some are impressed or not, is a solid 'spine-tingler'. I rarely get moved by a film with shocking, or even scary stories, but as this one was told, I have to say, this was brilliant in it's execution.

The players, were convincing, with these people at the helm of the story, it came across feeling cold and real. The hairs on my neck stood up a couple times! For me thats quite an accomplishment. The temp in my home seemed cooler, as the story went on. The fact that there were no phony-phony looking effects of ghoulish, slasher type action, in the story made it hit home even deeper. This was a highly well crafted thrill cast.

I recommend this for anyone looking to be mesmerized by a well-told

story,that will intrigue just about anyone. (***)"
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Scariest thriller film I saw that was erased from my memory!

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Jun 2010, 22:52

Hmmmmm.... now that you mention it, I can't recall a darned this from that movie either other than a snippet from a commercial trailer with that spooky whisper sounding voice. I guess I will have to watch it again.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 11 Jun 2010, 22:58

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 11 Jun 2010, 23:23

Check out these other suspense thrillers!

- Arlington Road
Trailer:

- Frailty
Trailer:

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby caniswalensis » 12 Jun 2010, 00:06

I remmember renting this movie, but like others do not recall many details from it.

I have the general memory that i liked it, and that it was complex & very atmospheric without a lot of action. Also that it was a little slow paced for my taste.

Odd that it seems so forgetable. I would tend to explain that as being due to the aforementioned slow pacing, but that is just me. :)

Regards, Canis
caniswalensis

Postby NinjaPuppy » 12 Jun 2010, 00:12

NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 12 Jun 2010, 01:43

Check out these videos of girls saying "Bloody Mary" in the bathroom mirror, daring the myth that if you do that, she will come out and kill you.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... +mary&aq=f

Now, mentally I know that if you do that, nothing will happen. But still, I would not dare do that because of the uncomfortable effect on my sympathetic nervous system I'd feel if I did it. lol
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 12 Jun 2010, 01:44

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby caniswalensis » 12 Jun 2010, 01:49

caniswalensis

Re: Scary unsettling film that was erased from my memory! WT

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 03 Aug 2010, 01:07

The movies is gone from link I am getting it thru torrents. http://www.torrents.to/search/btjunkie/ ... prophecies

Theory as to why you cna't remember. The movie sounds as if its strength is its flow. In my experience, I remeber stories when they complete one of the archtype plots. If I cannot get a story to cohere, my mind was no way to organize the data because it lacks a paradigm about what it is supposed to see.

It the old reality tunnel bit. My mind does recognize it as a complete myth, so I don't remember it when I look for stories. Can't recall offhand an example, but I know if I miss, or do not understand, the whole, I don't remember it as well.

Course, the phenomenon sounds stronger in the cases you guys went thru. Someday, we will be videotaped 24 hours a day, and we will finally get a clue to what is going on.

That if we get the software to handel the data.

The bad news is, the government is watching you. The good news is, they are watching everybody. With a last starting with R, they should get to my file circa 3250 AD.
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Return to Off-Topic Board