[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do Skeptics get Spooked? : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Do Skeptics get Spooked?

Discuss General Topics.

Do Skeptics get Spooked?

Postby diddyp333 » 25 May 2010, 18:33

your all alone in a strange house its dark and theres something in the air that doesnt feel right...i dont know about anyone else but i get spooked and immediatly want to run up the stairs and pull the covers over my head and im a 32 year old male! I just wondered if its the same for someone who is adament there is no such thing as the paranormal or do they secretly get the same feelings? if the answer is yes then why?
diddyp333

Re: Do Skeptics get Spooked?

Postby ProfWag » 25 May 2010, 20:48

In your example, no, I wouldn't be spooked. If there footsteps or knife drawers opening, then yes, I'd be spooked in thinking that a burgler is in the house. I can honestly say I've never and don't believe I would run and hide though. I'd have to go investigate the noise.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 25 May 2010, 21:37

From my standpoint, any noise regardless of the source can be frightening. So called ghost noises, not to much.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 26 May 2010, 02:10

For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 26 May 2010, 03:02

ProfWag

Postby really? » 27 May 2010, 11:28

Skeptics are human too believe it or not and are prone as anyone else to getting spooked, it's a natural reaction for self preservation. If you're in a strange house you hear noises and you don't know if there's somebody else there that might do you real bodily harm of course anyone would would be apprehensive. But as for being afraid of ghosts or something else supernatural - no
really?

Postby Nostradamus » 29 May 2010, 08:20

I got spooked a while back. My wife and I were watching 24. It was one of those scenes were everyone has at least 2 guns in their hands and they intend to use it with maximum damage. Suddenly there was a smash, crash, bang, smash downstairs. I nearly jumped out of my skin. Now sure who yelled the loudest. When nothing was broken on t he main floor of the house I went into the basement a little jumpy. I was calling out fairly loud to the wife who was by the phone. "Coming around the corner, coming around the corner." If there was a burglar in the house I wanted to give them ample time to get out before I got there. Nothing was broken in the basement. So I went back up to the main floor.

This was a mystery. Nothing broken yet both of us heard a loud, crashing, smashing noise. Then I realized that the dog had her head hanging down. Our dog sleeps on the stairs. I know what you're thinking. Someone will step on the dog and fall down the steps. This time the sleeping dog rolled over fell down the steps.

No ghost, but it made me jump.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby ciscop » 30 May 2010, 00:05

i hate that
when skeptics always use their logic and knowledge
thats so lame
lets be clear nostradamus doesnt know if it was a ghost or not
it could actually be bigfoot or my aura wandering around USA without a greencard
it is so ignorant the way he just dismisses this possibility
damn skeptics!!!

open your minds!!
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Nostradamus » 30 May 2010, 04:14

I admit that the dog looking sheepish could have been a coincidence. The show 24 about to begin a blazing gun battle might not have been a coincidence. The dog falling down the steps was just my skeptical conclusion based on my effort to seek out simple prosaic solutions. Although nothing was broken, nor out of place, it might have been momentarily between the onset of the sound and my quick search of the premises.

Follow up facts:
1. That idiotic dog of ours still sleeps on the steps
2. There were no crashes like that before or after the incident
3. No one in the family claims to have seen anything unusual int he house before or after
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 30 May 2010, 19:53

If you want to do a comparison of dog causing noises vs. cat causing noises... you let me know.

Cats have a special way of creating their own special chaos that will make you jump out of your skin. Not only do they knock things off of tables, shelves, walls, etc., they seem to have the ability to sweep the broken evidence under furniture by swatting at it like they are playing with a toy.

Dogs will sit there and look at the problem and wonder why? Cats will look at the problem and wonder why you are not thanking them for redecorating.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 31 May 2010, 11:55

My cat spooks me. Sometimes I wake up at night with a disturbing feeling. Then I realize the cat has set all its claws into my foot and is biting my big toe. That cat could star in its own horror flick series, Claws.
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 31 May 2010, 19:29

I believe that many of the unexplained noises heard in the average home are caused by critters of all species. Aside from the domestic pets, you have rodents, squirrels, racoons, birds, owls etc. that can make someone think that there is something possibly paranormal brewing. Some of those critters can make some pretty unusual noises when spooked, so what even might be thought of as 'voices' can be two critters fighting for territory in your walls.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 31 May 2010, 21:36

ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 01 Jun 2010, 01:55

ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 01 Jun 2010, 19:24

NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to General Discussions