[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Another way to refute the "extraordinary evidence" argument : PseudoSkeptic Fallacies • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Another way to refute the "extraordinary evidence" argument

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

Another way to refute the "extraordinary evidence" argument

Postby Scepcop » 05 May 2010, 04:48

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Another way to refute the "extraordinary evidence" argument

Postby ProfWag » 05 May 2010, 05:30

ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 05 May 2010, 06:27

wow

with this kind of argument you wanted to debate shermer?

damn..
are you in for a major intellectual beating..
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby jakesteele » 07 May 2010, 05:19

I love that question. Here's how I address it. First off, who says that only debunkers are allowed to define it? Only they do. Who says something like alien UFOs is an extraordinary claim? They do. Since I wasn't consulted about defining that term, I reject outright their definition. The reason is that if you consider the staggering, incomprehensible potential numbers of possible planets in the universe logic dictates that there is a much greater chance of life than no life.

Here is a vid of Phil Plait answering a question of the possibility of life elsewhere.

http://www.dailygrail.com/Alien-Nation/2008/11/Astronomers-and-UFOs

Go to 1:16 and here Phil Plait's take on life in the universe.

I feel the same way as Phil, but when anybody uses the word/concept of "life" it is never defined precisely. In this context "life" could mean anything from bacteria, to bugs to sentient beings with flying saucers, etc. Think of Star Trek and its five year mission to seek out new civilizations...anything goes.

In this larger context, to hide behind the Unicorn Gambit – (When asked the question, “Do you believe in UFOs?” a debunker will sarcastically say something to this effect: “Sure there might be a chance, about as much chance of Unicorns and Faries.” This is nothing more than a sarcastic way of saying no without have to bear the burden of proof and superficially maintaining the appearance of objectivity.

The Drake Equation shuffle and the Unicorn Gambit are mutually exclusive of each other.

To say there is a chance that their is life in the universe, but there are no such things as UFOs that can't be easily explained away is an extraordinary claim. The numbers just aren't with you.

That is an example of how I address that question...my definition, my way, my game. If a debunker doesn't like it, then he can have a Coke and go f* himself.
Edited byModerator
Debunkers think all UFO photos are fake,
especially the real ones.
jakesteele

Postby ciscop » 07 May 2010, 10:51

wow..

easy on the language
remember you are talking to superior intellectual beings

also i wanna say that unicorns arent extraordinary nor leprechauns
i actually saw a chupacabras on my backyard! hiding behind a big pot of gold at the end of a rainbow
i was high on peyote
but that doesnt mean anything!
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 07 May 2010, 20:49

I might add that 125 years ago, television or airplanes would have been an extraordinary claim, but they have since been proven to be possible and feasible. To me, extraordinary doesn't mean impossible, just that it hasn't been shown to be freasible at this point in time. Hence, if the JREF was around during the civil war and some guy said he could transmit a picture across the air and into someone's house, they may have offered a million bucks to see that. So although UFOs/aliens (for example) may not be extraordinary to you, they are to science.
ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 08 May 2010, 02:16

Craig Browning

Postby really? » 08 May 2010, 03:07

I wish scepcop understood the difference between an ordinary claim and an extraordinary claim. I'll present an example.

Look there's a person walking down the street.
Look there's an elephant walking down the street.

Both are possible and plausible.The first claim wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. The second would cause a look see.
really?

Postby ProfWag » 08 May 2010, 03:16

"And when such claims are extraordinary, that is, revolutionary in their implications for established scientific generalizations already accumulated and verified, we must demand extraordinary proof."
Marcello Truzzi

"A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence"
David Hume
ProfWag

Postby really? » 08 May 2010, 03:20

really?

Postby NucleicAcid » 08 May 2010, 03:52

Hey, you there. Yes, you.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby really? » 08 May 2010, 11:23

really?

Postby NucleicAcid » 08 May 2010, 22:50

Do you have any proof for that position? Cause I can offer a bunch of proof that it isn't generated by the brain.
Hey, you there. Yes, you.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby jakesteele » 08 May 2010, 23:16

Debunkers think all UFO photos are fake,
especially the real ones.
jakesteele

Postby Craig Browning » 09 May 2010, 01:40

Craig Browning

Next

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies