[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
JREF Blackmail Tapes : JREF / Randi Challenge - Page 24 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

JREF Blackmail Tapes

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: JREF Blackmail Tapes

Postby NucleicAcid » 28 Mar 2010, 13:23

Perhaps my comparison was a little too polarized. Basically, there are definitely lewd tapes, there is no doubt about that. However, there is not much evidence that the tapes were of an intentional solicitory nature (other than the content of the tapes), nor is there much evidence that they weren't (in terms of corroborating with Randi's statement). Is Randi being unnecessarily and suspiciously creepy? Definitely. I also think the by and large homophobic public, coupled with Randi's many enemies, would have snapped on any tidbit of potential wrongdoing and blown it all over the tabloids and newspapers with every bit of might. I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle, but it is nonetheless a mystery to me.

I still think Randi is a jerk, regardless.
Hey, you there. Yes, you.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby Azrael » 28 Mar 2010, 21:25

I'm always very skeptical of any situation where someone's notability hinges on their connection to another notable person
Azrael

Postby NucleicAcid » 29 Mar 2010, 01:28

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby Azrael » 29 Mar 2010, 19:18

I'm always very skeptical of any situation where someone's notability hinges on their connection to another notable person
Azrael

Postby NucleicAcid » 29 Mar 2010, 22:27

I don't have any specific quotes because I'm too lazy to go quote mining. It doesn't take much insight to see that Randi does not think highly of people with supernatural beliefs.

Also, if you think the odds of psi existing are so low to be nonexistent, how do you explain many prominent skeptics, such as Hyman and Wiseman, agreeing that by any other standard of science, ESP and the like have been shown to exist? Don't answer that here, as this thread is still technically on the infamous tapes, but I invite you to continue the discussion on the "Parapsychology is a Pseudoscience" thread:

NucleicAcid

Postby Azrael » 30 Mar 2010, 01:53

Azrael

Postby NucleicAcid » 30 Mar 2010, 04:46

NucleicAcid

Postby The Professor » 03 Apr 2010, 11:19

THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSED TO TEST FOR A MILLION DOLLARS
The Professor

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Apr 2010, 02:13

:? Anyone here actually see the transcripts? (I have them)

About two years ago one of my nemesis within the magic community (and I have very few of them) thought he'd put me on the spot by having Randi visit a particular forum one week for a Q&A with the kiddies. He and his chums deliberately brought up the whole pedophile thing trying to force a head to head between Randi and I. Randi did a nice tape dance that of course, kept him looking good... I on the other hand, emailed a portion of the Trial Transcripts (the phone calls) to the owner of the forum and two of his moderators... they were so repulsed that they quietly put an end to the antagonism being mounted and similarly, let the whole experience of the old perv's visit ooze into the the crevasses of the soil not to be found or discussed again...

The problem with the whole Trial side of things is that it is but one small chapter when it comes to Randi's various escapades with "the lads"... he got caught up in harboring under-aged boys from Haiti in his basement, whose passports, etc. had run out. The explanation is that they were dancers he was using in a new show and he'd planned on helping them with their immigration, etc. nonetheless, it was three boys between 16 and 18 as I understand... There are the handful of young magicians who were working at Tannen's magic back in the 70's when Randi was at the height of his popularity (within the industry only), who were proposition quite directly at the counter. We also need to look at how often the old guy moved from city to city and ask ourselves why he seemed to move so often and why either before the move or within a few short months afterwords, rumors of his trespass came to the surface?

I'm totally amazed as to how Randi has managed to escape physical retaliation by parents or even a big brother here and there. Then again, we've seen how a ton of priests have been repositioned regularly for the same exact reasons and they never got lynched :x

I've spoken with a couple of the people who were "victimized" by Randi back in the day, none of them wishing to come out about it... one explaining that he can't say anything because of legal arrangements... I believe we all know what that means; especially when his college got paid for by an anonymous benefactor (I guess that's where the "education" part of the JREF name comes into play???)

Pardon my rant, but the one thing I loathe more than a bigot is any person that would prey on the "helpless" be it children or senior citizens. But a person that would steal a young person's youth let alone their sense of innocence?

Sting 'm Up! :evil:
Craig Browning

Postby Azrael » 04 Apr 2010, 07:10

Craig we canjnot believe a word you say,you make many claims -like The Professor--yet back up none of them. Isnt odd how Randi is so sick and predatory etc etc that he has never been convicted of anything. Go back to your dowsing rod or pull up a straitjacket next to Koneig's relatives. :lol:
You are obsessed and have a vivid imagination, repeating ad hoc the same spiel on forums for years.

You cannot prove the paranormal to an old man and it must seriously annoy you.
Azrael

Postby NucleicAcid » 04 Apr 2010, 08:03

Everything else aside, the paranormal can't be proven to Randi in the same way that you can't measure a system without altering what you are measuring. If psi exists, then expectations influence reality. Randi expects nothing to happen. This will sway any deviation in probability back to normality.

Nay, if we are to prove psi to skeptics, we have to "trick" someone or something, in the same way that the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser "tricks" particles into making one choice or another.

If I could design a system in which I make it look like If Psi Exists, then the System Will Do This, and have the skeptic "test" someone using it, of course they would expect it to do nothing at all. However, the system is rigged in such a way that it will only do nothing IF a mental force is acted upon it. Ergo, you use the skeptic's skepticism against them to demonstrate a psi effect.

NucleicAcid

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Apr 2010, 20:51

Craig Browning

Postby Azrael » 04 Apr 2010, 22:12

Azrael

Postby ciscop » 05 Apr 2010, 05:56

nah
they are different
they are just 2 magicians that started to believe their own bullshit and reminiscence about the time where the magi were worshiped... oh yes.. magicians that are into the paranormal have an inner wish for being there when everybody believed that their stupid tricks were real

that goes for craig and dave
both swallowed their own bs
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Azrael » 05 Apr 2010, 07:44

Ah but Craig believes medium John Edward is real!! :o
You see he passed Craig's test...God help us!

I tihnk the test went somehting like this :
Craig "Hi John do you really communicate with the dead?"
John Edward:"Yes of course"
Craig "wow you are genuine." :lol:
Azrael

PreviousNext

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge