View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Discussion about UFO's, Aliens, ET's, Alien Abductions, Ancient Astronaut theories, etc.

Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby Scepcop » 10 Jun 2010, 18:01

On Larry King Live, Skeptic Michael Shermer debates some big name UFOlogists, such as Stanton Friedman, George Noory and others.

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3258
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOologists

Postby Scepcop » 10 Jun 2010, 20:12

I just finished watching the debate, and gosh, Michael Shermer sure is closed minded and uses the same outdated arguments.

I posted this in his channel comments section:

To Michael Shermer:

You are very closed minded on this. You say that memories and anecdotes are unreliable. If that's so, then why is the MAJORITY of what I remember accurate and checks out? I remember the name of my 1st grade teacher, and my classmates on Facebook confirm that it's correct. I remember that Karate Kid movie came out in 1984, which movie websites confirmed to be correct. Etc. etc. How do you skeptics explain that? Doesn't that show that memory is reliable, albeit not perfect?

Michael, I invite you to visit my SCEPCOP website and treatise. It debunks all your arguments in full. See the URL in my channel or go to debunkingskeptics dot c o m. I hope you write a response to my treatise and site. My forum would love your response.

Thanks,
Winston
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3258
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby Craig Browning » 10 Jun 2010, 20:25

I personally think there should be testing and authentication when it comes to proving that Shermer, Joe Nichol and the such are actually human beings... I know some hard core skeptics that avoid those two schmucks.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby stevetrueblue » 18 Jun 2010, 19:20

Classic pseudoskeptic Shermer

He believes he must preach the scientific method to everyone there on the show because nobody else went to high school.Only HE knows the scientific method. HE ALONE. Everyone else is "beneath" him. That's his narcissistic delusion.

He talks as if he "represents" science there on the panel. "in science we..." he says. Is he a peer reviewed scientist? or a magician?. Pskeps always like to pose as scientists. That's common.

And his usual pskep desire to be spoon fed with evidence on HIS terms only.
It never occurs to pseudoskeptics that you can't order the universe to present evidence a certain way.

Universe supplies evidence if and when it pleases, so you have to take what evidence you can get. Whichever way it presents.

Hell, it may include that scary thing, uncertainty.
stevetrueblue
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 17 Aug 2009, 10:14

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby Scepcop » 18 Jun 2010, 22:22

stevetrueblue wrote:Classic pseudoskeptic Shermer

He believes he must preach the scientific method to everyone there on the show because nobody else went to high school.Only HE knows the scientific method. HE ALONE. Everyone else is "beneath" him. That's his narcissistic delusion.

He talks as if he "represents" science there on the panel. "in science we..." he says. Is he a peer reviewed scientist? or a magician?. Pskeps always like to pose as scientists. That's common.

And his usual pskep desire to be spoon fed with evidence on HIS terms only.
It never occurs to pseudoskeptics that you can't order the universe to present evidence a certain way.

Universe supplies evidence if and when it pleases, so you have to take what evidence you can get. Whichever way it presents.

Hell, it may include that scary thing, uncertainty.


LOL well the thing is, Shermer is not using the scientific method cause he is REJECTING data that does not fit into HIS hypothesis. That's not science or logical or rational. The people in the debate should have mentioned that.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3258
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby ProfWag » 18 Jun 2010, 23:19

Scepcop wrote:
LOL well the thing is, Shermer is not using the scientific method cause he is REJECTING data that does not fit into HIS hypothesis. That's not science or logical or rational. The people in the debate should have mentioned that.

Hmmmm, that sounds eerily familiar...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby jordan » 26 Mar 2011, 23:44

I was just calling myself a newb, but I think the true newb is Shermer.

Edit: After posting this I realized that I read the thread incorrectly. With no prior knowledge of Shermer coming in to the conversation, my poor reading of this thread led me to indicate my feelings that he was unqualified. Upon realizing that he is a successful scientist, educator, and philosopher of science I retract my statement that he is unqualified or 'new' to the field of science whatsoever. My apologies for bumping the thread, but this forum and its users have been of great resource to me as I maintain my fire science degrees. In all honestly, the great educator Shermer could probably teach me a thing or two.
Last edited by jordan on 02 Apr 2011, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
Honestly, I Don't Believe You
User avatar
jordan
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Mar 2011, 23:20

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby Arouet » 27 Mar 2011, 03:23

jordan wrote:I was just calling myself a newb, but I think the true newb is Shermer...


Seriously? You bumped this thread just to post this? Why don't you elaborate? In what way is Shermer a "newb"?
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Mar 2011, 19:11

Arouet wrote:Seriously? You bumped this thread just to post this?

I was gonna say, a board glitch, but it does fit in with the topic at hand (Shermer).
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby Arouet » 29 Mar 2011, 00:18

Not sure what you mean by board glitch, I assumed he was going through old posts and decided to make a contribution. It is odd to resurrect an old thread to make a contentless post. Well, there was some content: he insulted Shermer. But in a very strange way: I have no idea what its even supposed to mean? Michael Shermer is a newb?
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby NinjaPuppy » 30 Mar 2011, 18:50

Arouet wrote:Not sure what you mean by board glitch, I assumed he was going through old posts and decided to make a contribution.

Board glitch: When written commentary poofs, winds up in the wrong topic, etc. It's usually caused by some sort of human error but can sometimes be unexplained.
Arouet wrote:It is odd to resurrect an old thread to make a contentless post.

As compared to what around here? Creating a new thread to make a contentless post? :lol:
Arouet wrote:Well, there was some content: he insulted Shermer. But in a very strange way: I have no idea what its even supposed to mean? Michael Shermer is a newb?

Insult? Perhaps. But I like it when newbs do some back reading on old topics. It shows some real interest in the topic material. Just because something is old and long dead doesn't mean that it's off limits to new(b) commentary. Of course there are thousands of topics that I would prefer see never be resurrected but it's not my call.

FWIW, I am interested in why Shermer was pegged a 'newb'.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby really? » 30 Mar 2011, 21:17

NinjaPuppy wrote:FWIW, I am interested in why Shermer was pegged a 'newb'.


I imagine it's merely a way to marginalized what Shermer says, thereby strengthening what the others say because they fall inline with what the poster believes to be the real truth.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Larry King Live: Michael Shermer vs UFOlogists

Postby Arouet » 30 Mar 2011, 22:28

NinjaPuppy wrote:Perhaps. But I like it when newbs do some back reading on old topics. It shows some real interest in the topic material. Just because something is old and long dead doesn't mean that it's off limits to new(b) commentary. Of course there are thousands of topics that I would prefer see never be resurrected but it's not my call.

FWIW, I am interested in why Shermer was pegged a 'newb'.


Sure! Nothing wrong with bringing back up an old topic. I just found it odd to bump a very old thread just to throw out a cheap insult. Anyhow, I invited him to elaborate, but I guess he doesn't feel too strongly about his position.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07


Return to UFO's / Aliens / ET's

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest