View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

free remote viewing magazine - issue 3

Discussions about Psychics and Psychic Phenomena, Extra Sensory Perception, Telepathy, Psi, Clairvoyancy, 6th Sense, Psychokinesis, etc.

Re: free remote viewing magazine - issue 3

Postby Nostradamus » 27 Mar 2010, 22:30

The trick here is in the meaning of random. There is a famous math problem in which 3 different definitions for random provide 3 different answers: 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2. No definition of random has been given here but my assumption is that the number is independent of the target properties and is chosen uniformly random from a subset of the integers.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 28 Mar 2010, 04:30

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/6110544/Can-psychics-be-good-for-your-health.html

Professor Richard Wiseman, of the University of Hertfordshire, recruited 7,000 volunteers via the social messaging service to investigate "remote viewing" (RV). A remote viewer is a gifted individual who claims to be able to "see" events in the past, present and future, and identifying distant locations.

The psychology professor, famed for his mass-participation experiments, which explore the curious science of everyday life, travelled to a mystery site in the UK, whereupon he sent a Tweet. Participants were asked to pinpoint his location by selecting it from a line-up of five photographs. As only 15 per cent of people correctly predicted Prof Wiseman's location – despite a 20 per cent probability – he pronounced RV to be a hoax.

Andrew Usher, dean of the British Institute of Homeopathy, and a (non-clinical) partner in an NHS practice in Scotland, is working with a GP to determine if RV can save lives. Usher's Med RV project uses a team of remote viewers around the world who try to detect illnesses that have been missed by conventional scientific and medical procedures.

The scheme has been running for just over a year. Usher, the complementary medicine consultant at Dunbeath Surgery in Caithness, says it is too early for conclusive results. "I've worked on 30 cases but I need at least 100 before I can make statistical correlations. RV is never 100 per cent accurate, so it could only ever be a supplementary form of data acquisition."

Up to six remote viewers at a time are involved in a single case. They are not given any information about the patient – whose consent must be sought – other than a case number.

"One of our most impressive cases was that of a patient with bad migraines," says Usher. "He'd been for a CAT scan, which was clear. However, the data from remote viewers showed a head with a lot of darkness, and something circular at the back of it. When we gave him an MRI scan, it turned out he had a benign brain tumour."

Although we have a "hit", that was for only 1 case in 30. What about the other 29 cases?
Nostradamus

Postby dazsmith » 29 Mar 2010, 17:48

Nostradamus said:
Although we have a "hit", that was for only 1 case in 30. What about the other 29 cases?

LOL can you not read?
Andrew did not say this?
I know as I was a remote viewer in this project and know Andrew very well.

What he said was:
One of our most impressive cases ...

not one hit in 30.

This is the problem with skeptics - you read things and create a whole new interpretation on what you are reading.
Show me where this statement says there was only one hit in 30?
Also its a quote from and for the media/press - do yo have any idea how text is edited into sound bites.

You are seriously just making yourself and the sceptical case look very bad. I'm all for proper, adult and informed discussion and review of remote viewing work - but you have to also be able to read a press article and understand what you are reading first. :o :o :o

daz
dazsmith

Postby Nostradamus » 29 Mar 2010, 19:52

LOL can you not read?
Andrew did not say this?
I know as I was a remote viewer in this project and know Andrew very well.

Are you now saying that the one case posted is not as stated?
They claim 30 rv done. One case is posted. What about the other 29? Where are you having difficulty in understanding that?
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 29 Mar 2010, 19:58

This is the problem with skeptics - you read things and create a whole new interpretation on what you are reading.

Daz you seem to have a reading problem. I did not in any way say that the other cases were good or bad. That is your failed interpretation of what I said. I asked the question what do the other cases show.

You are seriously just making yourself and the sceptical case look very bad. I'm all for proper, adult and informed discussion and review of remote viewing work - but you have to also be able to read a press article and understand what you are reading first.

Maybe you need to rv me to understand the written word. I never drew a conclusion. I asked a question.

Before the next rant please count to 10.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 29 Mar 2010, 20:02

Why don't you comment on the reason why Wiseman stated rv to be a hoax.

Here we have an experiment which uses a protocol I suggested, i.e. the viewer identifies the target from a list. You even agreed that made rv easier to test and demonstrate. Any comments on what happened in that experiment?
Nostradamus

Postby dazsmith » 30 Mar 2010, 06:12

Nostradamus
Are you now saying that the one case posted is not as stated?

They claim 30 rv done. One case is posted. What about the other 29? Where are you having difficulty in understanding that?

Do you not understand the concept of printed and on-line media and that reporters don't want in-depth reviews and reports on all 30 test projects - they aska a question and wnat a short concise answer.

You said:

which just isnt the case. Andrew said we had done 30 tests and that one of the most impressive case... NOT the only case in 30 that we hit.

Why don't you comment on the reason why Wiseman stated rv to be a hoax.

Yes this:
une 7, 2009

In just the past few days, parapsychologist and skeptic Dr. Richard Wiseman has launched an innovative experiment on the Internet-based social networking service Twitter which aims to test the reality of the ESP-based phenomenon known as remote viewing (RV). In the tradition of similar mass experiments such as that conducted by Stephan Schwartz’s Moebius Group via Omni magazine in the 1980s, Dr. Wiseman hopes to enlist the aid of everyday humans in creating a large statistical sampling that will either tell for or against remote viewing.

The International Remote Viewing Association, founded in 1999 by prominent former military and civilian members of the remote viewing community to disseminate information about and responsible investigation into remote viewing, applauds the imaginative way Dr. Richard Wiseman is using Twitter to explore the existence of this interesting phenomenon. We find the premise behind the experiment’s structure to be interesting and generally sound, and wish Dr. Wiseman well in demonstrating a successful outcome once all results are calculated.

We do, however, have some reservations about details of the experiment, and are concerned that they may act to dampen the full success a mass experiment model of this sort might otherwise promise. These concerns are (in no order of importance):

1. That there may be too much similarity among some of the five targets in each of the four sets. To have the clearest chance of success, a remote viewing experiment of this sort requires there to be as much difference between the targets and as little similarity as possible (in technical terms, the targets should be as “orthogonal” as possible). However, in several of the target sets chosen for this experiment there is much overlap in composition, shape, color, and content which will likely make it harder for viewers to discriminate between them during the judging phase, when they must decide which of the targets they perceived during their remote viewing attempts.
2. The photos of the targets may perhaps be too narrowly cropped to minimally capture surrounding detail that might be perceived by would-be viewers. RV is a largely perceptual and minimally cognitive process, so the realities of human perception must be taken into account when selecting the targets to be used in the sets. Further, remote viewing is not a telepathic process. Thus, a viewer ’s attention may not necessarily be drawn to the same things the experimenter chooses to focus on, but rather to some other attention-getting object or scene in the vicinity. Obviously, too wide a focus would include too much, making deciding between targets harder in a different way. There is a happy medium between too wide and too narrow which, though difficult to specify with precise selection rules, can easily be learned through experience or in consultation with someone who has such experience. It goes without saying that to maximize chances of success, each target location should be selected to be as uniform within the respective target area itself as it is different from other target settings.
3. Testing a large body of naive subjects may not demonstrate a strong effect, as initial success will vary dramatically across individuals with no or little prior remote viewing experience. Strong results produced by some individuals may be canceled out by the statistical noise of others who don’t yet “get” how to do remote viewing.
4. In line with point 3, the absence of even rudimentary instructions on how one might do remote viewing leaves it up to naive viewers to try to figure out how to do it themselves. This may have a further dampening effect on results, as many novice viewers may not have a grasp on how to put the process into effect, and will find their efforts frustrated and unsuccessful. One would not, for example, present a bicycle to someone unfamiliar with the principles of bicycle riding and then conclude that bicycle riding was impossible if the person fails to successfully ride the bike. Future remote viewing experiments such as this might recommend, or even borrow from, simple remote viewing procedures such as those outlined on the Association’s website at http://www.irva.org
5. It is unclear in the experimental design what measures have been taken to guarantee that all responses will be authentic (that is, unique and individual). It is technically feasible for groups or persons disenchanted with the purpose of the experiment to “spam” the results with large numbers of randomly chosen responses. This would have the effect of diluting or even completely submerging any real effect that might otherwise emerge. Such a strategy can only work to adversely affect the experiment – it cannot produce artificially inflated results, since that would require a large number of votes for the correct choice, which is not known (other than via ESP) for each trial until after it has been closed and no further responses are possible. In order to avoid this, the website and voting process must be constructive to eliminate the possibility of automated randomized or “spoofed” votes.

One final note related to the experiment but not having directly to do with its conduct: Dr. Wiseman’s statistical assessment (if accurately represented in media articles) that three “hits” of four in the series would yield odds against chance of 1 in 125 may inadvertently overstate the case. After consulting with statistician and IRVA board member Professor Jessica Utts, it seems the actual statistical consequence of three “hits” would yield a more modest (but still significant) odds against chance of 1 in 36. As Dr. Utts observed, "The odds against chance of 1/125 would be appropriate if 3 hits were required in just 3 trials, rather than at least 3 hits in 4 trials."

Nothing said here is meant to criticize Dr. Wiseman for undertaking this commendable effort to demonstrate a remote viewing effect. We are pleased to see such research being conducted and stand ready to contribute advice or assistance when invited. We hope our comments above will be useful to future experiments, even if this one should turn out not to be as successful as we might like.

Paul H. Smith
President, The International Remote Viewing Association
dazsmith

Postby Nostradamus » 30 Mar 2010, 06:24

Do you not understand the concept of printed and on-line media and that reporters don't want in-depth reviews and reports on all 30 test projects - they aska a question and wnat a short concise answer.

Obviously I do which is why I am asking about the other tests. To attempt to paint my comments any other way is a mistake.

Again the rest of your commentary is moot. You are taking the conversation in a direction which is meaningless and pointless. I never said anything about the quality of the other rvs. That is something you are doing, not me.
Nostradamus

Postby dazsmith » 07 Apr 2010, 17:45

Nostradamus.
I tell you what - when you have read even a portion of the available and public material in relation to remote viewing experimentation - even in the lab, then I will be happy to debate the subject with you further. Until then its akin to trying to converse with a caged monkey, ignorant of the accumulated historical data available. You can find a small spattering of some documents on my website, or you can readily purchase the 89,000 CIA/DIA, and military research papers from the 1970's - to 1995. There are also a range of good books detailing the thirty plus years history and experimentation.

Until then its a conversation that is going nowhere.

Daz
dazsmith

Postby Nostradamus » 07 Apr 2010, 20:55

I agree Daz. The conversation is going nowhere. Instead of providing information you have purposely not answered question. You claim to be an expert in the field and yet you seem completely unable to make any clear points other than claiming success without providing evidence. In all of the rv threads here you have only done things like claim that straight lines are spirals, and tornadoes are described by "Relaxing movement - like music - flow". With this sort of evidence who is going to believe you?
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 07 Apr 2010, 20:57

when you have read even a portion of the available and public material in relation to remote viewing experimentation - even in the lab, then I will be happy to debate the subject with you further

This is the claim of a person with a completely failed position. Your claim is that you are the wiser yet you cannot provide any good evidence. Your lack of evidence suggests that nothing in 89,000 pages is worth taking the time to read.
Nostradamus

Postby dazsmith » 10 Apr 2010, 19:28

I have repeatedly stated - you tell me what you want and I'Il supply it - im even happy to if you like to supply the 89,000 pages of CIA documentation to you free of charge on DVD for you to peruse at your leisure.

As to proof of rv well there are well over 200 remoet viewing examples on my remoet viewing website, I have also supplied filmed demos, and can supply lab test projects of remoet viewing using thousands of blind remoet viewing trials, per reviewed.

what more proof do you want?

As to your insanely stupid comments that I didnt hit the target of tornado - are just plain reaching :o :o :o :o - I accurately described a tornado and even part way thru the session named one. :D :D :D :D :D

Still I see you totally ignore the other rv session I posted the sydney harbour one - would that be because this is an example you cant say is a miss?
http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/11.4. ... sydney.pdf

or what about this one: http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/ferri ... ession.pdf

or this: http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/daz_wayland.pdf

or this: http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/daz_9234_jjkk.pdf

or this: http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/brso2_full.pdf

or how about all these 140+ rv examples form the CIA/DIA /Military: http://www.remoteviewed.com/remote_view ... litary.htm

do you mean this ' evidence' that i haven't supplied?

daz
dazsmith

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Apr 2010, 09:01

As to your insanely stupid comments that I didnt hit the target of tornado - are just plain reaching :o :o :o :o - I accurately described a tornado and even part way thru the session named one.

Be careful. People do get banned from this forum. Be warned.

No Daz you did not get a hit on tornado unless you want to use cherry picking. You also said music which you at first claimed you did not say. Well you did. Then you made the laughable claim that this is how you felt. Right. Several people killed and you thought it was relaxing like music a flow or some such nonsense. The rest of your comments do not fit the location or a tornado. Dubai is 10,000 miles away. Milan is 6,000 miles away. Island - no. Hot and dry - no. People with dry throats - no again.

You have been shoehorning some fuzzy, nondescript malarkey into whatever you feel makes your delusion a hit. It's not happening. As I stated early on, the military dropped the program because it was of no use. It didn't work. They politely said that they couldn't see a signal above the noise.It was a low budget, low priority experiment, that after years of effort produced nothing of value.
Nostradamus

Postby dazsmith » 19 Apr 2010, 19:49

Still I see you totally ignore the other rv session I posted the sydney harbour one - would that be because this is an example you cant say is a miss?
http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/11.4. ... sydney.pdf

or what about this one: http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/ferri ... ession.pdf

or this: http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/daz_wayland.pdf

or this: http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/daz_9234_jjkk.pdf

or this: http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/brso2_full.pdf

or how about all these 140+ rv examples form the CIA/DIA /Military: http://www.remoteviewed.com/remote_view ... litary.htm

do you mean this ' evidence' that i haven't supplied?
dazsmith

Postby ciscop » 19 Apr 2010, 20:04

you got caught lying daz
you did said MUSIC

you are done
you arent a remote viewer

YOU ARE A CHERRY PICKER AT MOST
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Previous

Return to Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy