View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

The Skeptic Damping Effect

Discussions about Psychics and Psychic Phenomena, Extra Sensory Perception, Telepathy, Psi, Clairvoyancy, 6th Sense, Psychokinesis, etc.

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Kevin Kane » 04 Mar 2010, 06:58

Nostradamus wrote:The job of the questioner is not to do the work, but to evaluate the work done. The investigator does the work and present and defends it.

Science works that way.

Peer Review works that way.

Nostradamus wrote:Kevin I don't need to refute your claims. You need to substantiate your unfounded notions.

You are posting unsubstantiated nonsense. I have been to a dozen SFN, several Cell Bio, and an ACT meeting as well as a number of smaller meetings. Have you ever been to any meetings? I doubt it.

Please substantiate your whimsical claims.

You claim you're doing science. You're not. You appear to be doing what every one else is doing and calling it science. Bandwagon argument. The correct term is: peer review.
Kevin Kane

Postby Kevin Kane » 04 Mar 2010, 08:45

ProfWag wrote:
By the way, understanding the source of information is most certainly important in determining the validity of a statement. ND claims that you have not been to scientific meetings (and I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment, though I have no solid proof) and that he has been involved in science. As such, the casual reader who does not know either of you should now readily understand that your points come from an untrained source whereas other posters HAVE had some training in science. Again, most certainly a rebuttal AND a valid argument (and an important one at that).

Back before the internet, I used to write long hand letters to scientists .. physicists, astronomers, psychologists and others. And most of them took the time to write back. Not a single one of them ever questioned the validity of my arguments and questions. Instead they'd write long letters and correspondences, well known, even famous scientists, discussing ideas, theories and science stuff. I have their letters.

So your amateuristic assumptions about me are wrong.
Kevin Kane

Postby ciscop » 04 Mar 2010, 10:15

Kevin Kane wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
By the way, understanding the source of information is most certainly important in determining the validity of a statement. ND claims that you have not been to scientific meetings (and I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment, though I have no solid proof) and that he has been involved in science. As such, the casual reader who does not know either of you should now readily understand that your points come from an untrained source whereas other posters HAVE had some training in science. Again, most certainly a rebuttal AND a valid argument (and an important one at that).

Back before the internet, I used to write long hand letters to scientists .. physicists, astronomers, psychologists and others. And most of them took the time to write back. Not a single one of them ever questioned the validity of my arguments and questions. Instead they'd write long letters and correspondences, well known, even famous scientists, discussing ideas, theories and science stuff. I have their letters.

So your amateuristic assumptions about me are wrong.

Long before the internet??
Kevin how old areyou?
i thought you were a kid in dad´s basement
angry against intellectuals

how old are you that you were writing scientists long before the internet?
lets see.. the explosion of the internet was when?.. 1992?..
to wrote to scientists you were what? 20s?
so you are in your 50s now?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Kevin Kane » 04 Mar 2010, 10:23

You'd be surprised. Back in the 70's and 80's, you could write or phone an academic, a scientist, author, musicians, craftsmen and have long discussions .. considering you were interested in their work or wanted their advise. Sometimes, talking on the phone for 3 or 4 hours .. to a total stranger, discussing their work or listening and advising.

People who make lots of assumptions usually don't make good scientists or thinkers.
Kevin Kane

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 10:33

You claim you're doing science. You're not. You appear to be doing what every one else is doing and calling it science. Bandwagon argument. The correct term is: peer review.

Another claim with foundation. You are wrong. Peer review is only a portion of the work scientists get involved in.

And you have no idea what I do. Your claim that you have any idea what I do makes you look rather foolish.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 10:37

If you think talking to a scientist constitutes going to a scientific meeting then you are really lost. If you think talking to many people doing research constitutes being involved in a scientific meeting then you are really lost.
Nostradamus

Postby Kevin Kane » 04 Mar 2010, 13:05

If you think team meetings, collective review or group thinking is doing science, Nostradamus is lost.
Kevin Kane

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 13:24

I wasn't involved in any of that. Basically Kevin you haven't a leg to stand on.

You post nonsense about me that has no foundation. Your claim to fame is writing some letters and chatting to people doing science.

Next you post some unrelated nonsense characterizing science in general.

Good night. Hope you can go over to the homeopathy thread and take the time to post some evidence. I was told your forte was justifying dispensing distilled water as medicine. So why don't you go over there and tell us all what properly done scientific studies validate homeopathy. I'm hoping that chatting and letter writing has rubbed off real science and the knowledge of a proper study on you.

And I did notice how you dropped your nonsense claims that science is all about rubber stamping. A quaint claim from a rube at best.
Nostradamus

Postby Kevin Kane » 04 Mar 2010, 17:20

Dude, you made the claim that science works by hierarchical or peer evaluation of claims. Maybe you meant teaching students or inspecting watermelon. Are you a watermelon inspector by any chance?
Kevin Kane

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 20:29

Dude, you made the claim that science works by hierarchical or peer evaluation of claims.

Please show me where you came up this asinine conclusion. I'm unable to follow your inability to read and comprehend.
Nostradamus

Postby Kevin Kane » 04 Mar 2010, 21:03

I don't see the point in quoting you for the third time. If you don't understand the words you yourself said, I can't help you.
Kevin Kane

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 21:12

I don't see the point in quoting you for the third time. If you don't understand the words you yourself said, I can't help you.

Obviously you can't support the statements you made because you lied. Why do you lie?
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Mar 2010, 23:24

Kevin Kane wrote:Dude, you made the claim that science works by hierarchical or peer evaluation of claims. Maybe you meant teaching students or inspecting watermelon. Are you a watermelon inspector by any chance?

Kevin....Anyone.....Bueller.... can someone please explain this 'inspecting watermelon' thing?
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 23:43

Can't help you NJ. It was nonsensical babbling as far as I was concerned.
Nostradamus

Previous

Return to Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy