View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

The Skeptic Damping Effect

Discussions about Psychics and Psychic Phenomena, Extra Sensory Perception, Telepathy, Psi, Clairvoyancy, 6th Sense, Psychokinesis, etc.

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby ciscop » 23 Feb 2010, 12:46

well
how would i feel if i was the CEO that got fired because he hired Uri to find oil in australia?

how would you feel if you spent thousand of dollars in crystals charged with uri psychic energy?

that guy is a charlatan and deserves the fire he gets from the skeptics
if it was for guys like you, anything goes
psychics do exist and unicorns will fart purple rainbows

not in this world :lol:
well.. at least uri isnt..
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04






Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby ciscop » 23 Feb 2010, 13:08

Kevin Kane wrote:
And I don't need to pretend to be psychic.


thats my point
you dont know about the topic as much as i do
yet you want to debate it

you arent prepared

uri cheats because he isnt a psychic
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Kevin Kane » 23 Feb 2010, 13:13

ciscop wrote:
Kevin Kane wrote:
And I don't need to pretend to be psychic.


thats my point
you dont know about the topic as much as i do
yet you want to debate it

you arent prepared

uri cheats because he isnt a psychic


:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Image
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Craig Browning » 23 Feb 2010, 15:23

ProfWag wrote:First, you made a comment about John Edward to appears to show you believe he actually talks to the dead. Interesting.

I have had a personal one time encounter with John that resulted in a very unexpected bit of feedback... I was not a client or anything other. I'd contacted his office on a non-personal matter expecting to speak only with his secretary. No warnings, no means to do any kind of advance research on me, let alone family details (most of which is very hard to get hold of because of how life was in West Virginia in the not so distant past). Yet he was able to convey 5 very hard points that lead me to believe he's a bit more than certain elements are giving him credit to be.

UNDERSTAND, I've been a Reader for over 30 years and have written several books on Cold Reading techniques, etc. I know the cheats better than I know the back of my hand, I know what to look for and when I don't find them I have to be honest, step back and weigh the information.

Second, You asked us to correct you if you were wrong about a President being warned by 2 previous presidents. I'm correcting you. That's not quite the case.

In fact Bill Clinton and his staff briefed Bushy boy during the transition as did George's daddy. Both pointed out the problem with Al Queda specifically, telling him to pay attention. But Jr. & his Dick thought it was more important to go off and start a war where no problem existed, so they could goose the old situation... that's the facts. On top of this Jr. ignored the details given him in his briefings about probable terrorist activities... this is a major fact shared with us by the Media countless times over the past decade.

Third, is there a recording of your radio show or other psychic talk a month prior to 9/11?


BUZZ- AM Radio -- Reno, NV -- :| I can't recall the name of the Morning Host though.. Bill something

Fourth, if you know for a fact about the psychics who thwarted future attacks, this could be the single most important discovery in history. You should either reveal what you know or at least give some hint as to where we can do our own research because if true, the world as we know it will change immediately.


This is where you moan and accuse me of a cop-out in that the "proof" is unavailable due to legal/security issues. It is unfortunate from the psychic side of things, that government agencies do this but in this case I can more than understand. I will point out that one situation involved a government building in the Sacramento area and another that was prevented involved a facility in New Mexico. I can point to these two cases loosely because Homeland Security has been referring to these and other sites in recent months.

PLEASE, let's not go into one of the "Prove it to me" games skeptics seem to thrive on. I don't find them very productive
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby ProfWag » 23 Feb 2010, 21:18

Kevin Kane wrote:Dude, just yesterday I had someone stalk-search me from one place, to email me about something I said awhile back that they wanted to rebutt. They seemed like an intelligent and articulate person, but the act of finding me and and challenging me because of their presumptions about me was a bit much, I must say.

Fair enough. Were they from the JREF?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby ProfWag » 23 Feb 2010, 21:39

Craig Browning wrote:I have had a personal one time encounter with John that resulted in a very unexpected bit of feedback... I was not a client or anything other. I'd contacted his office on a non-personal matter expecting to speak only with his secretary. No warnings, no means to do any kind of advance research on me, let alone family details (most of which is very hard to get hold of because of how life was in West Virginia in the not so distant past). Yet he was able to convey 5 very hard points that lead me to believe he's a bit more than certain elements are giving him credit to be.
As I said, you talk as if John E. is able to talk to the dead and I said "interesting." I have no doubt about your cold reading expertise just as you should have little doubt about my knowledge in the potential for hot and warm reading.
Craig Browning wrote:In fact Bill Clinton and his staff briefed Bushy boy during the transition as did George's daddy. Both pointed out the problem with Al Queda specifically, telling him to pay attention. But Jr. & his Dick thought it was more important to go off and start a war where no problem existed, so they could goose the old situation... that's the facts. On top of this Jr. ignored the details given him in his briefings about probable terrorist activities... this is a major fact shared with us by the Media countless times over the past decade.

Soooo, let's think about that for a second. If George Senior knew about the serious threat, he would have briefed Bill, but it appears Bill didn't take his warnings seriously either then. Did he?
Craig Browning wrote:Third, is there a recording of your radio show or other psychic talk a month prior to 9/11?
BUZZ- AM Radio -- Reno, NV -- :| I can't recall the name of the Morning Host though.. Bill something

Thanks.
Craig Browning wrote:
This is where you moan and accuse me of a cop-out in that the "proof" is unavailable due to legal/security issues. It is unfortunate from the psychic side of things, that government agencies do this but in this case I can more than understand. I will point out that one situation involved a government building in the Sacramento area and another that was prevented involved a facility in New Mexico. I can point to these two cases loosely because Homeland Security has been referring to these and other sites in recent months.

PLEASE, let's not go into one of the "Prove it to me" games skeptics seem to thrive on. I don't find them very productive

I didn't ask you to prove it, I asked for info on where I can do research on my own. I will. BTW, having spent a quarter of a century in the military with almost half of that time in overseas locations including the middle east, I am well aware of security issues and terrorist threats. I also thoroughly understand what those with security clearances and those without can say and reveal. I'm also aware of the profit potential a Psychic could stand to gain if proof of their abiity to thwart a potential terrorist threat were to be revealed.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Craig Browning » 24 Feb 2010, 00:09

:lol: Yes, there is a "hustle" factor when it comes to such interactions and one's price tag. Ironically, most of the psychic types I know that do legal and even some military type work aren't out headline chasing and in fact, choose to keep what they do quiet. In the words of one particular lady that does this kind of thing "I don't need more headaches in my life than I have living as a normal person in society..."

In the cases I was referring to (and like the 9/11 situation) those involved at the "official" level who get the "psychic feedback" as it were, don't listen to just one person but the "hunches" of several, including what more "legit" sources are finding when they reach out to look in the direction the psychic's are pointing to; it's a kind of cooperative course of action in which the psychics are just one very small part of the over-all activity. Though I have had training by a couple of the people that do this sort of consulting at the more consistent level, I'm very much on the outer fringes when it comes to knowing what's what and how it all comes together. I was drawn in for a brief period because of the radio show broadcast and the dots that got connected, nothing more.

As an "Entertainer" I will exploit "Headline Predictions" -- tricks that look prophetic but tricks just the same. This is nowhere close to how things work when it comes to situations like the 9/11 impressions; the latter being part of my private life as someone tied to a shamanic-based/gnostic mode of spirituality and thus, what I discover on that plane stays there... it's typically very private and shared only with other members of "the community". Sadly, I tend to be brutally honest and when I was asked by the Shock Jock hosting the show what parting visions I had for the future, I told him about how like-minded souls in the region were all picking up on the same kind of impressions, visions, etc. The rest, as they say, is history.

PARDON my jumping to conclusions but how you worded your bullet points felt exactly like the common set-up used by the majority of cynics when they are sharpening their teeth to pounce on a "Psychic". It is something I tend to be very gun-shy over, mainly because of the redundancy of it all and the fact that it never brings about any kind of resolution; people will see things and believe things based on what their personal experiences are in life, that's the bottom line. If circumstances allow them to look at those situations differently for whatever reason, then it is possible that a shift in attitude happens... what some refer to as a "Spiritual Awakening" or, to the contrary, a more reinforced course of "denial" -- not "denial" in the sense of personal non-acceptance to something but more in the sense of not wanting to or hosting the conviction that permits belief in things fantastic.

With this in mind, I repeat what I said previously, hoping that we don't turn this into a classic cat & mouse game ;)
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby ciscop » 24 Feb 2010, 02:14

what?
you felt 9/11 ?
you predicted it?

im not sure i understood the story
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby ProfWag » 24 Feb 2010, 03:56

Craig Browning wrote:
With this in mind, I repeat what I said previously, hoping that we don't turn this into a classic cat & mouse game ;)

No need for that. Since you re-explained what you said, I no longer feel the need to shout out to the masses that there's a giant cover up between psychics and the government. Thanks for the explanation.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Craig Browning » 25 Feb 2010, 02:52

ProfWag wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:
With this in mind, I repeat what I said previously, hoping that we don't turn this into a classic cat & mouse game ;)

No need for that. Since you re-explained what you said, I no longer feel the need to shout out to the masses that there's a giant cover up between psychics and the government. Thanks for the explanation.


But there is! :lol:

I say that but in a part-joking basis in that I have that there is a lot more to how the governments of this planet really do work with "Psychics". The part that irritates me is that they all seem to want to do so in a way that allows near instant deniability... much like the whole UFO thing.

I know of but a few situations and as I've stated, a couple of people that are far more involved than I'll ever be in that world, and it all makes me wonder just what really is going on and why it's kept so hush, hush??? :ugeek:
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby ProfWag » 25 Feb 2010, 03:37

Craig Browning wrote:
But there is! :lol:

I say that but in a part-joking basis in that I have that there is a lot more to how the governments of this planet really do work with "Psychics". The part that irritates me is that they all seem to want to do so in a way that allows near instant deniability... much like the whole UFO thing.

I know of but a few situations and as I've stated, a couple of people that are far more involved than I'll ever be in that world, and it all makes me wonder just what really is going on and why it's kept so hush, hush??? :ugeek:

You've uncovered the main reason there are 9/11, JFK, Moon, etc. conspiracy theories. People believe (and for good reason) that the government is one big building full of secrets they don't want anyone to know. History has made it appear that way and there is some basis to it (see my other recent thread on the prohibition killings). No one knows how many secrets are out there. Much of the time, it's just one agency that wants to keep something from another because of some rivalry (i.e. CIA vs FBI), but it leads to a lot of questions unfortunately. I hope we aren't using psychics to predict our next terrorist attack, but if we are, we need to get those CIA agents out of Afghanistan!
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Craig Browning » 26 Feb 2010, 00:27

From what I've seen and been told when it comes to the Psychic situation there is a lot more involved than just buying into someone's "hunch" even though that hunch might prove the starting point. Basically, if one of the trusted "psychics" flash on something that seems to coincide with other data (especially if the psychic is not aware of a given project and that's what the information ties to) they will us said data as a kind of compass, allowing them to look at the situation on a more broad or alternative perspective type basis. But it's never (to my knowledge) 100% "the psychic said this so we need to do that..." sort of thing, it's far more logic centered and certainly just one small part of an over-all (and proven) method.

I am aware of one case in which two or three of the psychic advisers (for lack of a better term) were able to pin point where Bin Laden was but by the time authorities could make their move he was already on the move. These "P.A."s were literally explaining and detailing his movements for several days, their insights confirmed after the fact with glaring accuracy, but it just wasn't enough to justify a quicker, more concise response in that there wasn't enough traditional intelligence available to support what the P.A.s were seeing.

I'm positive such things are very frustrating to everyone involved but especially those PAs that are trying to be of assistance.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Nostradamus » 26 Feb 2010, 23:53

I respect your opinion and your point of view, but ultimately, the skeptic exists to ask questions for the purposes of creating doubt. Not to neutrally judge or seriously investigate, as we've seen time and again, but assuming a position of show me, prove it to me, which is not investigation and not the way science works.


I'm coming a little late into discussion and need to read more, but I find this claim to wrong.

Have you ever been to a scientific meeting? I have been to many and I also have been to many poster sessions at the nearby university. You have to make people think about heir claims. You ask them what they did and did not consider. You ask them how they would rule out other causes.

Creating doubt is good. It leads to questions of how to improve research.

As you state, asking for evidence (I assume that is what you meant by proof) is not investigation. The job of the questioner is not to do the work, but to evaluate the work done. The investigator does the work and present and defends it.

Science works that way. Look at some of the contentious issues that have been in the news:
1. birds evolved from dinosaurs
2. cold fusion
3. large hadron collider

The discussions or arguments can be heated and noisy and even long winded.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Nostradamus » 27 Feb 2010, 00:03

Skeptics exist to fail. Skeptics fail at logic. Skeptics fail at wisdom and knowledge. Skeptics fail at facts and science. Skeptics are presumptive and annoying .. anal-rententive OCD knit-picking looneytune fruitcakes who stalk, confront, criticize for no reason, because skeptics fail at reason. The ancient Greek description of skeptics is accurate. Skeptics contribute nothing but opine. Opinionated blowhards with no substance.


This is a rather sad statement indeed. It is completely wrong. Making such a statement lends support to the notion that someone is frustrated and depressed. Hope you feel better.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

Re: The Skeptic Damping Effect

Postby Nostradamus » 27 Feb 2010, 00:14

Getting back to the original question, I feel that the goat sheep effect is a way out. A while back someone suggested a means of countering the goats. I recommended that they do this and see if it works. They bowed out. The goat-sheep effect is something that is unknown to exist. It is taken for granted that it does exist.

To me it is an excuse, and I paraphrase, "ESP works in mysterious ways." Isn't this the explanation used to explain why evil sometimes outlives good, or evil can prosper while the good are downtrodden?
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

PreviousNext

Return to Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest