View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Paranormal Abilities - Out of the so called closet?

Discussions about Psychics and Psychic Phenomena, Extra Sensory Perception, Telepathy, Psi, Clairvoyancy, 6th Sense, Psychokinesis, etc.

Paranormal Abilities - Out of the so called closet?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 12 Jan 2010, 23:13

This quote was bought over from another topic for discussion here. Sorry for the Subject Title not being more direct but I was at a loss as to how to word it with limited space.
ProfWag wrote:I am a believer in the truth. If someone can read minds, fortell the future, or speak with the dead (to name a few), then we should know about it.
NinjaPuppy

Re: Paranormal Abilities - Out of the so called closet?

Postby ProfWag » 13 Jan 2010, 01:10

NinjaPuppy wrote:This quote was bought over from another topic for discussion here. Sorry for the Subject Title not being more direct but I was at a loss as to how to word it with limited space.
ProfWag wrote:I am a believer in the truth. If someone can read minds, fortell the future, or speak with the dead (to name a few), then we should know about it.

Okay, I have to admit that I'm a bit beffuddled. What is it about my quote that you find interesting enough to start a new thread about? Do you agree with it? Disagree with it? Find it amusing? Just what?
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Jan 2010, 01:55

ProfWag wrote:Okay, I have to admit that I'm a bit beffuddled. What is it about my quote that you find interesting enough to start a new thread about? Do you agree with it? Disagree with it? Find it amusing? Just what?

All of the above, as well as intrigued by the possibilities of what others think about it. I think what I found most interesting is that you state that "we should know about it". I'm curious as to how you mean that. 'Should'- as in have the right to know or 'should'- as it would be hard to hide this sort of thing?

I suppose that your comment made me think a bit beyond my norm. What can I say? It was just an excellent comment that I felt should be explored. I've been working on a draft since I made this topic and I must say, it's been quite a brain tease for me. Since joining this forum I've been given so much information from both sides of the fence and I have found that some of my personal thoughts about the paranormal have shifted or have been enhanced by the input. May I say it's been very existential. :D

Here's some of my thoughts that are loosly related your your comment-

No doubt, I am also a believer in the truth. I am also a believer in many other things such as folklore, myths, mysteries, ghosts and most other paranormal subjects including the three named above. The truth is that those things are exactly what they are said to be and nothing more. The truth is, that there are no scientific facts to prove that this small sample of items actually exist beyond their accepted definitions.

I'd like to stick with the original 3 subjects in this topic as quoted by ProfWag, since he has kept to one particular area. Anyone wishing to discuss other areas of related paranormal subjects can feel free to start a new subject devoted to their particular area of interest.

If someone can read minds, fortell the future, or speak with the dead, I personally doubt that they have abilities as set forth by Hollywood or fiction based descriptions. The portrayal of these things are nothing more than one person's interpretation of what they personally believe it might be.

I personally want to believe that there are some who are capable of momentary and fleeting episodes of these abilities. The truth is that I do believe that some if not almost all have this ability. Just not as portrayed in movies or books or by those making extraordinary claims for personal gain. More of an unexplained and fleeting momentary happening that is chalked off to a strange coincidence that happens more often for some than others.

Those who come forward and publicly claim any ability in this area might even have learned how to recognize it better when it happens. Recognizing it and improving it or perfecting it are completely different things. Explaining it in scientific terms seems impossible.

As far as 'knowing about it'... we do. Just not in any approved scientific manner or preconceived notion of what any of this 'should be'.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 13 Jan 2010, 03:16

Oh, okay then. Well, my first comment about being a believer in the truth came from the comment from HF2 where he asked if I was a believer in naturalism (at first I thought he meant naturists which I was ready to give a hearty "hell yea!," but then I realized what he meant.) So, what I meant by that statement was that I am a believer than people should be truthful and that if if there is a claim of anything, then I believe in knowing the truth and although they can be fun, I'm not a big fan in myths, legends, or half-truths. In other words, I support and enjoy the TV show "Mythbusters."
As for my choice of the word "should," I was kind of meaning it in the context of the right to know. For example, if there was a major cover-up concerning that the US Government knew we were going to be attacked by planes on that specific day, then we (regardless of country of origin) should know about it. If someone has a camera on me while I'm in the dressing room at Macy's, then I should know about it. Similarly, if someone is reading my mind, then I should know about it. If someone knows who is going to win the Super Bowl and by what score, then I should know about it so I can save myself 4 hours out of my life. And, if someone can talk to my Mom and Dad, then I should know who that person is because I really want to ask them a few things that have come up since they died. To my knowledge, if someone can tell you what I'm thinking, I'm unaware of that person. If someone knows the final score of the Super Bowl or tomorrow nights PowerBall numbers, I'm unaware of that person. And, if someone can talk to my Dad and find out why he left us with his burial bill after telling us when he was alive it was all taken care of, I'm unaware of that person.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Jan 2010, 06:23

ProfWag wrote:Oh, okay then. Well, my first comment about being a believer in the truth came from the comment from HF2 where he asked if I was a believer in naturalism (at first I thought he meant naturists which I was ready to give a hearty "hell yea!," but then I realized what he meant.)

You made me spew coffee on my monitor with this little ditty. :lol:

ProfWag wrote:So, what I meant by that statement was that I am a believer than people should be truthful and that if if there is a claim of anything, then I believe in knowing the truth and although they can be fun, I'm not a big fan in myths, legends, or half-truths. In other words, I support and enjoy the TV show "Mythbusters."

I enjoy that sort of thing too as it adds some logic to the myths and legends, etc.

ProfWag wrote:As for my choice of the word "should," I was kind of meaning it in the context of the right to know.

I had assumed that this was they way you meant it and while I agree with you on the planes and cameras things, I seem to think otherwise on the mind reading, sports scores stuff. Probably because it's something that I don't have much faith in such detailed ability. At least from a detailed perspective where someone knew beyond a shadow of a doubt your every single detailed thought. Something of that nature would be pretty intense for the person able to do it. Talk about a head trip.

ProfWag wrote:And, if someone can talk to my Dad and find out why he left us with his burial bill after telling us when he was alive it was all taken care of, I'm unaware of that person.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who claim that they can. Of course it's proving an individuals abilities that once again gets in the way.

This reminded me of a comedy skit where the comedian suggests that schizophrenics aren't hearing voices or talking to themselves at all but they are actually conversing with other schizophrenics miles away.

To add to that... They used to call it schizophrenia, now we call it bluetooth. :D
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 13 Jan 2010, 20:22

NinjaPuppy wrote:
To add to that... They used to call it schizophrenia, now we call it bluetooth. :D

Now THAT's funny!!! Great one Ninja!
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Jan 2010, 20:27

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:

Now THAT's funny!!! Great one Ninja!

Thanks. :D
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 15 Jan 2010, 16:34

i would also love to know about it...

personally
i have faked pretty much all paranormal abilities
from reading minds to moving stuff to cry blood to stopping my heart and whatever...
i have done a few miracles too.. (looks like it) reviving the dead (death fish) and making wine out of water

paranormal is just on the eyes of spectator
the more you know, the less probable it is you will believe that kind of stuff
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Return to Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy