View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Upcoming Experience with a Medium

Discussions about Psychics and Psychic Phenomena, Extra Sensory Perception, Telepathy, Psi, Clairvoyancy, 6th Sense, Psychokinesis, etc.

Re: Upcoming Experience with a Medium

Postby SydneyPSIder » 28 May 2013, 11:49

ProfWag wrote:The shows you watch on television the appear to demonstrate psychics solving crimes are made for entertainment purposes and are highly speculative.

they may be 'highly speculative' and dramatic, but what happens when they legitimately find an effect that cannot be explained by natural or normal means amongst the speculation? I'm only interested in the parts of those shows when something happens which is clearly outside the bounds of the natural. There are often interviews with police etc also discussing quite dispassionately earlier successes with psychics. the PDs never like openly admitting they gained a benefit from these methods, for one because they won't stand up in a court case for obvious reasons. however, if leads from a psychic lead to a description of a crime scene or a perp and their subsequent arrest and charging, and they confess to the crime or other crimes without knowing how it was they were rumbled, well, that is material assistance to the investigation, isn't it?
SydneyPSIder

Postby TruthJunkie » 28 May 2013, 12:15

ProfWag wrote:
TruthJukie wrote:Could you describe in detail a conversation with yourself? Who are the players of the interaction? Do you find yourself listening to some portion of the conversation? If so do you find yourself responding to the stimuli? Do you find yourself continuing the conversation by speaking? The mechanics of the experience is important here. Assuming that intention is aligned with generating content in the mind; that is, producing a thought. Do you produce all thoughts in your head or do some thoughts arise on their own without your intention and of a random nature?

No, I don't believe I could describe a conversation with myself. If I'm searching for a solution to something, I try to think of all angles and think of those that my decision would affect, but I wouldn't describe it as a conversation with myself. While thinking to myself and finding the solution, I might speak out-loud something like "eureka!," but I wouldn't call that speaking. As for the thoughts in my head, I would say some thoughts arise on their own without intention, however, they usually arise based on a previous experience or trigger.

Some people have dialog in their head. Lots of dialog. You are creating thought processes through intention. There are reflections that result from thinking. There are reflections that arise as the result of an event or stimuli. There are also reflections that randomly arise and are not necessarily oriented or aligned with ones intention. It is through these paths that awakening can occur. Particularly when the communication contains insight or enlightenment. There are even deeper signs within that lead one to particular conclusions regarding spiritual phenomenon.
Last edited by TruthJunkie on 28 May 2013, 12:51, edited 3 times in total.
TruthJunkie

Postby SydneyPSIder » 28 May 2013, 12:17

http://www.tv.com/shows/psychic-detectives/

http://www.noreenrenier.com/

Are these people and testimonials real? 1 minute of my precious time devoted to googling instead of living in laladenial land:

"Remarkably, the lost man's body was found EXACTLY where Renier said it would be! People scoffed at us for seeking out a psychic's help, but Noreen's input was quite incredible...even a bit spooky."
— Detective Sgt. John Buchholz of the Oxford, Ohio, police department.

"...the Bureau has used Renier strictly in an academic setting, to expand the thinking of police officers. We have, however, given her name to law enforcement people who want to try a psychic. And some of them have said she's solved cases."
— FBI Special Agent Robert Ressler, New York Post, June 4, 1988

"Noreen's incredible insight helped close our case by providing the macabre details of our victim's murder which, when presented to our suspect, caused him to negotiate a confession. She also identified two other accomplices to the crime."

— Joe Uribe (Montana DCI Agent - Retired)

"You definitely opened many eyes to the potential investigative tool of the psychic. Obviously, many a doubting Thomas had to revise his ideas concerning this somewhat esoteric area."
— Daniel Grinnan. Jr. Bureau of Forensic Science Commonwealth of Virginia

"I asked Noreen if she would come and address the Illinois Coroner's and Medical Examiner's Association at their Spring meeting. We had worked with Noreen on a homicide case in our county and she was a great help to us. I felt it was important to let members of the Association know what a valuable tool a Psychic may be in working those troubling cases. She was both informative and entertaining."

— Marlene A. Lantz, Coroner McHenry County. 2007

"Noreen never could have known this stuff beforehand and she was so accurate it was chilling."
— Retired Lt. Commander. R. Krolak, The Times Union, February 11, 1992

"I was skeptical until Noreen said on the phone from almost 1OOO miles away that there was something wrong with my friend's leg. He had been hobbling around on crutches for a week, and there was no way for her to know that."
— David Rogers, National Council of Churches Interreligion Task Force for Criminal Justice

"It was kind of scary when we did find it, and it was almost exactly as she described it. I wouldn't say I'm a total believer, but I don't throw out anything they say."
— Lt. Robert Miller, Port St. Lucie Tribune, May 19, 1991

"In a lot of the cases new information comes forth as a result of Noreen's consultation. She has established a formidable track record for honesty and professionalism..."
— Rod Englert Forensic Consultants April, 1990

On Jun 12, 2012, at 12:45 PM, Lacher, Ron wrote:

"I just wanted to thank you again for all of your help regarding the disappearance of Brandy Hanna. Although it’s been seven years since Brandy went missing, I truly believe we will find her. The case has been cold for so long and now, with your help, I finally have some answers. Without your help I would never have been able to find her shoe. It’s hard to imagine that after seven years the shoe was found in the exact area in which you described. Thank you again for all of your help. You have truly been wonderful and have done myself and Brandy’s family a great service. I look forward to working with you again. Take care and stay safe."

Detective Lacher
North Charleston Police Department

"Without Noreen Renier we would not have located Norman Lewis. I'm extremely impressed with her abilities. She told us things that she would have to have been an eyewitness to have known."
— Olin Slaughter, Chief of Police, Williston Police Department Williston Pioneer, June 27, 1996.
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 28 May 2013, 12:24

http://www.victorzammit.com/articles/ps ... tives.html

There's 58 + cases listed there solved with the help of a psychic. The FBI appears to have made favourable comments about them also, unlike the assertion made above. Seems there's a few pseudoskeps in the ranks of the FBI who claim to speak for them all.

Or I suppose all 58 + cases are manufactured or wrong. Go to it, prof.
SydneyPSIder

Postby ProfWag » 28 May 2013, 18:57

SydneyPSIder wrote:

There are almost always two sides to every coin. Here's the other side to Ms. Renier:

http://www.commentarybysherlock.com/com ... kapril.asp
ProfWag

Postby SydneyPSIder » 28 May 2013, 19:54

ProfWag wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:

There are almost always two sides to every coin. Here's the other side to Ms. Renier:

http://www.commentarybysherlock.com/com ... kapril.asp

Sure, I was expecting a few bogus ones in there. How about the various other people listed amongst the 58 cases? I hope they're not all delusional!
SydneyPSIder

Postby TruthJunkie » 29 May 2013, 01:53

SydneyPSIder wrote:http://www.victorzammit.com/articles/psychicdetectives.html

There's 58 + cases listed there solved with the help of a psychic. The FBI appears to have made favourable comments about them also, unlike the assertion made above. Seems there's a few pseudoskeps in the ranks of the FBI who claim to speak for them all.

What is not in this list is the countless intuitive hits law enforcement professionals may encounter while working the job. How many cases were closed because a detective followed a hunch. These hunches may be fostered by productive thought or come in dreams or conscious intuitive hits. This of course rattles the notion that someone must be a psychic in order to experience psychic phenomenon which is hardly the case. What is true is that the capacity to be psychic is wired into animate form though not always clearly developed.
TruthJunkie

Postby ProfWag » 29 May 2013, 08:47

SydneyPSIder wrote:http://www.victorzammit.com/articles/psychicdetectives.html

If you can't do your own research, my doing it for you certainly won't help you learn. But, I'll tell you what Syd. Pick out 2 of them. Any 2. (well except for Allison Dubois--she's too easy to debunk.)
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 29 May 2013, 09:40

SydneyPSIder wrote:Sure, I was expecting a few bogus ones in there. How about the various other people listed amongst the 58 cases? I hope they're not all delusional!

Syd, Syd, Syd. I started looking at your "58 cases" and in what appears to be at least half of them, they were reported in Court TV's Psychic Detectives. You do know, don't you, that that show is for entertainment purposes only, is based on the story as told by the medium, and in no way can be considered accurate? Police have been quoted in this show by actors, yet when the original police are contacted, they all seem to tell a different story.
If you are going to find a case that a psychic solved a crime, you're going to have to do better than using Victor Dammit and entertainment based television.
ProfWag

Postby SydneyPSIder » 29 May 2013, 13:23

ProfWag wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:Sure, I was expecting a few bogus ones in there. How about the various other people listed amongst the 58 cases? I hope they're not all delusional!

Syd, Syd, Syd. I started looking at your "58 cases" and in what appears to be at least half of them, they were reported in Court TV's Psychic Detectives. You do know, don't you, that that show is for entertainment purposes only, is based on the story as told by the medium, and in no way can be considered accurate? Police have been quoted in this show by actors, yet when the original police are contacted, they all seem to tell a different story.
If you are going to find a case that a psychic solved a crime, you're going to have to do better than using Victor Dammit and entertainment based television.

yeah, let's go for it. there seems to be at least one scammer in there, being noreen renier. however, there are other independently verified reports of successes? Some of them are lifted from 'Psychic Detectives' absolutely, and Noreen Renier was featured on one of their episodes. However, Psychic Detectives could be a mixture of genuines and frauds, and they don't do a lot of work to sift between them. Phil Jordan seems to get a good rap, what do we have on him?

there's a challenge in dealing with self-promoting fakes with lavish testimonials which are also fake vs the possibility of having some genuine psychics in the mix. then, as the police point out, they get numerous people approaching them with 'psychic tipoffs' with a lot of major crimes, most of whom are loopy and lead them on wild goose chases and upset the families of victims. so out of the 58 can we find even one operator who has independently verified successes? I saw the episode set in New Zealand and the operator suggested the background correctly, or so we're lead to believe, that's listed on Zammit's compilation.

The ones that chase money and fame, and have a whole host of highly unlikely other attributes, such as Noreen Renier, seem far more likely to be fakes than ones who do it for free out of concern for the victims.
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 29 May 2013, 15:05

How about Nancy Weber, on Skeptiko? (Cases 7, 12 on the Zammit page)

http://www.skeptiko.com/blog/?p=56

Seems legit. google doesn't return any hard core debunking info.

And, say, Nancy Myer (Cases 3, 51, 53 on the Zammit page) -- although I've seen one adverse report on her already.

Allternatively, why don't we start with the first one and check 'em out, and continue with the next if they are debunked. The ones that don't have a website and are unassuming and unglammed up in their photos to me are more likely to be legit!

How can I put forward any 2 at random for checking out if I know as much as you do on reading Zammit's page? More silliness from wag. Almost like magical thinking. So I suggest we work through from the beginning and start googling '<Person X> debunked skeptic' or something similar and see how we fare, google for the named police officer/s name/s etc. Obviously you would try contacting the named police officers directly to try to verify the story, which involves some real investigation and phone calls.
SydneyPSIder

Postby ProfWag » 29 May 2013, 19:05

SydneyPSIder wrote:How about Nancy Weber, on Skeptiko? (Cases 7, 12 on the Zammit page)

Here's a transcript that appears to question Nancy's story:
http://benjaminradford.com/investigatio ... nterviews/
ProfWag

Postby SydneyPSIder » 29 May 2013, 20:16

ProfWag wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:How about Nancy Weber, on Skeptiko? (Cases 7, 12 on the Zammit page)

Here's a transcript that appears to question Nancy's story:
http://benjaminradford.com/investigatio ... nterviews/

interesting. psychics I have dealt with seem to struggle with specifics like names, spellings, etc, but generally read emotions, networks, people, and can describe colleagues, relatives and so on. hence I'm not surprised there is some ambiguity and lack of useful detail, assuming the helpful police psychics have any ability at all.

The lack of notes and dates taken by the officers in the sceptical enquiry does not help the enquiry much, though, it is based on very hazy recall and lack of notes. It's not clear there is a 'confirmation bias' in this one particular investigated case when their recollection is so hazy.

I would be interested therefore to also study some of the accounts where specific location of bodies and routes etc are claimed to have been described by psychics in the list, e.g. Case 3 with Nancy Myer and the 'map', Case 6 with Valerie Morrison (the Shilie King case was a real and famous case), Case 8 - Deb Webber - she has been queried along the lines of Noreen Renier however, Case 9, Case 11, and so on. And the other Myer and Weber cases need to be examined.

There are still a lot of cases to examine. If only 1 or 2 are valid, or only 1 or 2 claimed psychics get consistent results, then you clearly have something of note, regardless of any frauds or career fake psychics.

Laurie McQuary seems to have been debunked - seems this is big business in the US.

It would be better to shortlist all the names and strike out the ones who have been shown to have produced fake results! Usually correlates with the ones who charge for readings. Some of them have fantastical stories about other aspects of their lives also it seems. No wonder PSICOP are kept busy.
Last edited by SydneyPSIder on 30 May 2013, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 May 2013, 22:27

TruthJunkie wrote:What is not in this list is the countless intuitive hits law enforcement professionals may encounter while working the job. How many cases were closed because a detective followed a hunch. These hunches may be fostered by productive thought or come in dreams or conscious intuitive hits. This of course rattles the notion that someone must be a psychic in order to experience psychic phenomenon which is hardly the case. What is true is that the capacity to be psychic is wired into animate form though not always clearly developed.

An excellent point.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 May 2013, 22:41

SydneyPSIder wrote:what am i, chopped liver? never mind, don't answer that...

Syd - In an attempt to try to make sense of how this topic has "evolved", I just noticed your comment. No, you are certainly NOT chopped liver. I thought that your preferred area of interest was ETs/UFOs/CTs, etc. I have noticed that you are well versed in many other areas as well but not with the same passion. I do hope that came out the way that I meant it.
NinjaPuppy

PreviousNext

Return to Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy