View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Googling "debunking sceptics"

Discussions about Psychics and Psychic Phenomena, Extra Sensory Perception, Telepathy, Psi, Clairvoyancy, 6th Sense, Psychokinesis, etc.

Googling "debunking sceptics"

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 21 Apr 2012, 14:52

After googling "debunking sceptics" to find this website on my new computer, I encountered the blog "Debunking a Skeptic" by John Leonard. Taking my cue from SCECOP, I am posting this link to his account of a psychic, Nancy Meyers, and her work in relation to capturing a serial rapist, and inviting comments.

http://www.examiner.com/article/debunking-a-skeptic
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Re: goggling "debunking sceptics"

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Apr 2012, 01:56

It's a nice, informative piece. I'm sure that :) our resident skeptics would argue some points.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 23 Apr 2012, 05:43

NinjaPuppy wrote:It's a nice, informative piece. I'm sure that :) our resident skeptics would argue some points.

I hope to pull Mr Leonard into this forum. He understands when can argue across premises as long as the premises are kept clear.
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Postby ProfWag » 23 Apr 2012, 21:02

NinjaPuppy wrote:It's a nice, informative piece. I'm sure that :) our resident skeptics would argue some points.

It's just kind of hard to know the ins and outs of a story from 30 years ago. Heck, it's hard using information from 30 days ago. I do know there's evidence that she's "cheated" on some of her cases, but that, of course, doesn't mean she's always a cheat...
ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 23 Apr 2012, 22:55

Please Define "Cheated" in this case . . . or any investigative case in which Psychics become integral to discovery.
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 23 Apr 2012, 23:27

Craig Browning wrote:Please Define "Cheated" in this case . . . or any investigative case in which Psychics become integral to discovery.

It's been a couple years and I don't have the article sitting in front of me, but I just remember the story that she cheated on a case. That explanation should be good enough for you, eh' Craig? ;-)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 24 Apr 2012, 00:33

ProfWag wrote:

It's just kind of hard to know the ins and outs of a story from 30 years ago. Heck, it's hard using information from 30 days ago. I do know there's evidence that she's "cheated" on some of her cases, but that, of course, doesn't mean she's always a cheat...

Awwwww crap man! The bottom line is that a police official says that a psychic helped solve a case.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 24 Apr 2012, 00:51

ProfWag wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:Please Define "Cheated" in this case . . . or any investigative case in which Psychics become integral to discovery.

It's been a couple years and I don't have the article sitting in front of me, but I just remember the story that she cheated on a case. That explanation should be good enough for you, eh' Craig? ;-)

Haha! Craig, I believe you've been - how do the kids say it now - PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 24 Apr 2012, 02:06

NinjaPuppy wrote:Awwwww crap man! The bottom line is that a police official says that a psychic helped solve a case.

Awe Crap what Ninja? Hell even I have helped solve a case Ninja, but it doesn't mean that paranormal psychic abilities actually solved it.
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 24 Apr 2012, 02:15

Arouet wrote:
ProfWag wrote:

Haha! Craig, I believe you've been - how do the kids say it now - PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)
I was wondering if anyone would understand that! (BTW Arouet, I think you meant "owned?")
ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 24 Apr 2012, 03:38

ProfWag wrote:I was wondering if anyone would understand that! (BTW Arouet, I think you meant "owned?")

you are clearly not one of the kids!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwnd
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 24 Apr 2012, 03:46

Arouet wrote:
ProfWag wrote:I was wondering if anyone would understand that! (BTW Arouet, I think you meant "owned?")

Well I'll be damn. Even at my age I still learn something new everyday!
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 24 Apr 2012, 04:46

This statement is from Nancy's own website.

"Nancy has assisted in the investigations of over 767 homicides. 90% of
the time Nancy has given the officers new, accurate information about
the case that helps in the search for a resolution."

Thoughts anyone?
Personally, I find that the statement "over 767" is a bit odd. Why not just say "768?" And then "90% of the time..." Does anyone but myself wonder what data she is using to back up that claim?
ProfWag

Postby cecil1 » 24 Apr 2012, 05:00

Arouet wrote:

Urban dictionary is INCORRECT, the verbage "pwnd" began with the mmorpg called Everquest, pwnd is defined as "player owned".
I know because I was there on zek server and ofc (of course) I know the monk that started the whole typo "teh" instead of "the."

Teh is a typo, pwnd is player owned, you do not pwn a CPU or AI, you pwn a player. semantics.

/bow
cecil1

Postby NinjaPuppy » 24 Apr 2012, 06:39

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Awwwww crap man! The bottom line is that a police official says that a psychic helped solve a case.

Awe Crap what Ninja? Hell even I have helped solve a case Ninja, but it doesn't mean that paranormal psychic abilities actually solved it.

You are correct. It does NOT mean that paranormal psychic abilities solved squat BUT... since she calls herself a psychic, then we can safely claim that a psychic helped solve a case.
NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy