View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Newspaper refuses ads for supernatural services

Discussions about Psychics and Psychic Phenomena, Extra Sensory Perception, Telepathy, Psi, Clairvoyancy, 6th Sense, Psychokinesis, etc.

Newspaper refuses ads for supernatural services

Postby Nostradamus » 18 Apr 2010, 11:54

From http://www.3news.co.nz/Newspaper-refuses-ads-offering-supernatural-services/tabid/421/articleID/151516/Default.aspx?ArticleID=151516
The original article is short and can cause laughter. So Be daring and read it.

An Auckland newspaper says it is adopting guidelines from Indian law in a bid to fend off a flood of ethically questionable advertisements offering supernatural services to the public.

"From astrologers and charmed talisman vendors to jet-setting yogis and gurus, there is an unending stream of the purveyors of esoteric sciences, charms, 'rediscovered' secret knowledge systems and formulas for spiritual uplift," said the Indian Weekender group editor, Dev Nadkarni.

His newspaper will now no longer accept advertisements "that make magical promises and remedies".

"Sure, there are ads for clairvoyants, palm readers and soothsayers even in the mainstream New Zealand media, but it is just that they are far more pronounced in South Asian culture".

At times, the promises made by these people were "plainly ludicrous" and embarrassing, he said.

India's Drugs and Magic Remedies Act provides for two months' jail and a 2000 rupee ($NZ63) fine - critics have said the penalties have never been raised because Indian politicians shelter gurus to give them spiritual credibility, use their followers as vote banks, or to mask sexual or criminal activity.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Re: Newspaper refuses ads for supernatural services

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Apr 2010, 19:14

Laugh? I don't see anything 'funny' in that article.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 19 Apr 2010, 01:39

It's just me NJ. I'm reading what amounts to a very pointed set of statements and then the editor says that he has guidelines to crack down on adverts that have a tacky quality.

It just caught me in a mood in which I was following the pros and cons of advertising and censuring and then it comes down to being tacky. Just me I guess.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Craig Browning » 19 Apr 2010, 02:18

Not that anyone from that part of the world would want to control the press or anything... god forbid we'd have another FOX type network evolve from this mode of thinking :?
Craig Browning

Postby ciscop » 19 Apr 2010, 10:48

THAT IS AWESOMe!!!!
no more nonsense over there

just real news
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Craig Browning » 19 Apr 2010, 14:29

ciscop wrote:THAT IS AWESOMe!!!!

just real news

Let me guess, you believe what you hear from FOX NEWS :roll:
Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Apr 2010, 19:39

Nostradamus wrote:It's just me NJ. I'm reading what amounts to a very pointed set of statements and then the editor says that he has guidelines to crack down on adverts that have a tacky quality.

It just caught me in a mood in which I was following the pros and cons of advertising and censuring and then it comes down to being tacky. Just me I guess.

Ahhhhhh. Thank you. I thought my funny bone was broken.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 20 Apr 2010, 08:25

Craig Browning wrote:

just real news

nah even worst..

i get my news from howard stern
(as bad as it sounds)
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Craig Browning » 20 Apr 2010, 20:29

ciscop wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:

just real news

nah even worst..

i get my news from howard stern
(as bad as it sounds)

Trust me, he's probably a more reliable source when it comes to something closer to "truth" :lol:
Craig Browning

Postby Rimsha42 » 27 Aug 2011, 13:41

Thats great no more boring ads
Rimsha42

Return to Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy