View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

$1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

$1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby really? » 10 Mar 2011, 08:05

Note Banachek now oversees the Challenge

Written by Sadie Crabtree
Wednesday, 09 March 2011 15:29

Rules changed to encourage new applications and ensure anyone with actual paranormal abilities could win the million-dollar prize

Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.—The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) announced on Wednesday that the organization’s famed Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge would be opened to more new applicants, with a lower bar for entry. The JREF holds $1 million in an investment account at a New York financial firm1, ready to be awarded to anyone who can demonstrate a paranormal ability under fair conditions that prevent fraud or error. The prize has grown from just $1,000 since it was established more than 40 years ago by magician and skeptic James Randi, and it has yet to be claimed.

Before today, applicants for the prize were required to submit press clippings and a letter from an academic to demonstrate the seriousness of their application. Now, applicants will only have to submit one or the other—demonstrating that somewhere, at some point in time, some independent person has taken their claim seriously. Applicants who cannot provide this evidence have a new, third option: submitting a public video that demonstrates their ability. The JREF will choose some of these video applications for further testing. This option gives potential applicants without media or academic documentation a way to be considered for testing, and allows the JREF to use online video and social media to reach an even wider audience with the Challenge.

[Read the new rules] http://www.randi.org/site/1m-challenge/ ... pplication

“We have a longstanding commitment to investigate paranormal claims in a fair and scientific way,” JREF President D.J. Grothe said. “The Million Dollar Challenge is a tool that people everywhere can use to evaluate paranormal and pseudoscientific claims, by asking, ‘if this claim were true, why hasn’t someone proven it and won the million?’ We hope the changes announced today will make it even more effective.”

Although those offering the prize are skeptical of all claims of psychic powers, and every applicant tested so far has failed, the tests are designed to be easy for any genuine psychic to pass. Professional statisticians and scientists work with applicants to develop tests that minimize the possibility of charlatans winning by mere chance, while also minimizing the possibility of any actual psychic losing by “bad luck.”

“Some applicants have agreed on what we all considered to be fair rules for the test, failed, and then said the tests were too hard,” said Banachek, director of the JREF’s Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge and one of the world’s leading mentalists. “But our tests are always winnable if you’re a psychic who can really do what you claim. Even if your third eye isn’t 20/20, or you’re an astrologer whose stars aren’t the brightest in the sky, we will work with you to develop a protocol that you can pass if your claimed ability is real.”

Notes:

1. Statement, Evercore Wealth Management
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58






Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby derrida » 11 Mar 2011, 04:39

Perfect!!
cant wait

i hope to see a parade of whackos..
but it will be awesome if at least one.. can actually prove he has some ability outside of the conventional
derrida
 
Posts: 308
Joined: 08 Oct 2010, 04:29

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby VAWT » 05 Aug 2011, 10:16

Is the challenge still to be tested without the presence of scientists as I interpretate what is meant in the challenge rules? Then why is James at TED conferences which are lectured by scientists?

What is the real purpose of the James Randi challenge other than what appears to by a niche for debunkers to make money as guest speakers at science conventions?
User avatar
VAWT
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 01 Dec 2010, 23:50

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby Arouet » 05 Aug 2011, 11:01

Huh? It's not only scientists who lecture at TED. what on earth are you talking about? What a weird bump.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby Craig Browning » 05 Aug 2011, 20:17

VAWT wrote:Is the challenge still to be tested without the presence of scientists as I interpretate what is meant in the challenge rules? Then why is James at TED conferences which are lectured by scientists?

What is the real purpose of the James Randi challenge other than what appears to by a niche for debunkers to make money as guest speakers at science conventions?


Yea... I do believe you need to check the guest speaker's list my friend, you're off base on that one. However, Randi is guilty of hyping the challenge when his agents aren't getting gigs. . . it's been hell since Larry King retired and 60 Minutes wants nothing of him any longer (he's too controversial, it would seem).

The biggest complaint that has existed with the so-called challenge has been that Randi has the last word no matter what comes about; this has been the fail-safe valve for decades but then they decided to force subject through so many tests within a set period of time, never taking anything the subject said into allowance. . . . it's just disgusting; not just the treatment of the subjects but that people are still so arrogant as to participate in it. There's always a loop hole and that will never change.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby Arouet » 05 Aug 2011, 20:28

Craig: do you think someone should have won but didn't because Randi stepped in and pretended they didn't pass when in fact they did? If so, put the example forward and let's discuss it.

(and please, no tl/dr post filled with generalizations: put something specific on the table!)
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby really? » 06 Aug 2011, 20:47

Craig Browning wrote:
VAWT wrote:Is the challenge still to be tested without the presence of scientists as I interpretate what is meant in the challenge rules? Then why is James at TED conferences which are lectured by scientists?

What is the real purpose of the James Randi challenge other than what appears to by a niche for debunkers to make money as guest speakers at science conventions?


Yea... I do believe you need to check the guest speaker's list my friend, you're off base on that one. However, Randi is guilty of hyping the challenge when his agents aren't getting gigs. . . it's been hell since Larry King retired and 60 Minutes wants nothing of him any longer (he's too controversial, it would seem).

The biggest complaint that has existed with the so-called challenge has been that Randi has the last word no matter what comes about; this has been the fail-safe valve for decades but then they decided to force subject through so many tests within a set period of time, never taking anything the subject said into allowance. . . . it's just disgusting; not just the treatment of the subjects but that people are still so arrogant as to participate in it. There's always a loop hole and that will never change.


I'm certain you can back up this oft used excuse with specifics statements from specific personages. If you can't, then keep quiet.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby Craig Browning » 06 Aug 2011, 20:57

Arouet wrote:Craig: do you think someone should have won but didn't because Randi stepped in and pretended they didn't pass when in fact they did? If so, put the example forward and let's discuss it.

(and please, no tl/dr post filled with generalizations: put something specific on the table!)


I don't play fetch but the there is a long list of folks, we both know this. I'd mention the fact that he still alludes settling a couple of court cases where he's lost liable cases involving psychics. . . but then, that's a character flaw not some scientific statistic that proves anything.

My biggest gripe over the "Randi has final word" issue is that he is NOT a scientist and for that matter, not one of the better educated individuals when it comes to the essence of metaphysics/the occult arts & sciences. His supposition is "If I can fake it/replicate it, it must be fake" which is such a fair scientific assessment I'm amazed he wasn't given a Nobel Prize. . . but then he does have a problem with certain types of Nobel Prize winners, doesn't he? :roll:
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby Arouet » 06 Aug 2011, 21:12

Craig: it's not playing fetch to ask someone to back-up their claim.

"it's a long list of folks, we both know this" is not evidence. Put forward an example, and let's see how Randi measures up. You've suggested that people should have won the challenge but Randi pretended then didn't meet the test: let's see an example.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby NinjaPuppy » 07 Aug 2011, 00:37

Arouet wrote:Craig: it's not playing fetch to ask someone to back-up their claim.

"it's a long list of folks, we both know this" is not evidence. Put forward an example, and let's see how Randi measures up. You've suggested that people should have won the challenge but Randi pretended then didn't meet the test: let's see an example.

I agree with Arouet on this one. I would love to see a specific example put "on trial" here.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby ProfWag » 07 Aug 2011, 04:45

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Arouet wrote:Craig: it's not playing fetch to ask someone to back-up their claim.

"it's a long list of folks, we both know this" is not evidence. Put forward an example, and let's see how Randi measures up. You've suggested that people should have won the challenge but Randi pretended then didn't meet the test: let's see an example.

I agree with Arouet on this one. I would love to see a specific example put "on trial" here.

Yes, I too would like an example of one that should have won. Just one so that we can discuss it specifically.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby really? » 07 Aug 2011, 06:45

Arouet wrote:Craig: it's not playing fetch to ask someone to back-up their claim.

"it's a long list of folks, we both know this" is not evidence. Put forward an example, and let's see how Randi measures up. You've suggested that people should have won the challenge but Randi pretended then didn't meet the test: let's see an example.


Craig, you love to assert, but you never like to back up your claims. If you don't talk specifics then we know you are just blowing smoke from a hidden region of your body.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby Craig Browning » 07 Aug 2011, 23:49

No, you assume such.

I know of these things but do not know the exact place to put my hands on the details, I simply don't keep such material on hand or more accurately, I don't keep it as organized and ready to access as I probably should (given that what I do have has been saved for book research). On top of this, my mind simply don't work well enough these days to keep abreast of such. . . I have far more important things to focus on right now and can't juggle such distractions.

Eventually I hope to fill in all these blanks, but it won't be anytime soon. Sorry.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby Arouet » 08 Aug 2011, 00:18

Fine, then why make the accusation? Or at least provide the disclaimer that you can't back it up.

However, I'm a little suspicious that you can't remember any details about a supposed testing for the MDC where the person passed the agreed upon test and then Randi arbitrarily declared that they hadn't. And I've never heard any of Randi's other critics bring up such a case.

What we have heard of are cases that never got to the testing stage because an agreement on protocol could not be reached. Perhaps that's what you meant.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge Now Easier Than Ever

Postby ProfWag » 08 Aug 2011, 00:28

Craig Browning wrote:No, you assume such.

I know of these things but do not know the exact place to put my hands on the details, I simply don't keep such material on hand or more accurately, I don't keep it as organized and ready to access as I probably should (given that what I do have has been saved for book research). On top of this, my mind simply don't work well enough these days to keep abreast of such. . . I have far more important things to focus on right now and can't juggle such distractions.

Eventually I hope to fill in all these blanks, but it won't be anytime soon. Sorry.

Just a few posts back, you said this: "I don't play fetch but the there is a long list of folks, we both know this"
Now, you're saying you can't remember just one? If there's a long list and this is obviously a subject you are quite familiar with, then surely...SURELY...you can come up with just one. Unless, of course, there isn't one...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Next

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest