View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

$1,000,OOO CASH ONLY PRIZE

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

$1,000,OOO CASH ONLY PRIZE

Postby VAWT » 12 Dec 2010, 08:37

How about a non skeptic site having a $1,000,000 CASH ONLY PRIZE for someone proving paranormal events under controlled conditions.
James Randi was very cunning to introduce a challenge to disprove the so called unprovablility of paranormal events under scientific testing.

If you want this site to be acknowledged then a ''legitimate'' stage show is required to counter the JREF site that laughs in people's faces.

If there would be sponsors to accomodate a poteinal gift to be won,then those that have had experiences may very well come over to here to at least claim by mouth the paranormal does exist.

Maybe some Hollywood sponsors would put up an initial wager.

Hey the only reason why the Randi website is so popular is because of the Million Dollar Challenge......... Shouldn't the believers group FUND thier own belief and so takeaway Randi's Ridicule?
User avatar
VAWT
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 01 Dec 2010, 23:50






Re: $1,000,OOO CASH ONLY PRIZE

Postby really? » 12 Dec 2010, 09:48

Let me direct you to this topic on another forum known as Skeptiko.
Randi on the MDC
http://forum.mind-energy.net/skeptiko-p ... i-mdc.html
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: $1,000,OOO CASH ONLY PRIZE

Postby Craig Browning » 13 Dec 2010, 00:35

For starters, I wouldn't require as "stage show" when it comes to such a thing; just about anyone with more than two-years solid study of the stage-magic world and a bit of imagination can suck the typical believer down the rabbit hole, it's simply not that hard to do. But when you put "demonstrations" on stage for review... well, it becomes Show Biz in the minds of just about everyone (just ask Uri about how much difficulty he had with PHENOMENON ... especially here in the U.S. where first & second place were taken by obvious MAGICIANS -- 1st price went to a bloody stage illusionist... no wonder Mentalism is suffering a tortuous death :? )

The second problem with your proposal centers on that "Sponsorship"... while you are likely to find CEO/CFO types that will privately admit to their belief in such things chances are very strong that a majority of both, board members and share holders will refuse to make a public display around said support.

Why?

Like it or not we live in a predominately Christian world here in the U.S. and much of the free world as it is known; this alone will prevent such support in that big business got that way by being socially-politically "correct" (a.k.a kissing the butt of the ruling public opinion... keeping consumers happy)... let's face it, aside from the U.S., Russian & China one of the most powerful political seats on the planet can be found on 109 Acres in the middle of Rome; with a single sermon the Pope can incite mass mayhem the world over.

The Third Problem (and this is very important)... the majority of those that are "legit" when it comes to the whole Psychic thing ARE NOT OUT TO PROVE A POINT. They don't want to be in the limelight, they could care less about monetary & material gain (it's just not part of their spiritual-humanitarian philosophy... look into the philosophies of Lord Buddha or Confucius to get a glimpse on such things.) As a result to this fact alone, the event would only draw in those individuals that are ego/fame/greed driven and that typically means that you will end up with a collection of cheats, horse-thieves, and scoundrels.(trust me, I know more than a few of them :lol: )


When it comes to the point made in the previous paragraph, you will find an interesting "converse' if you would; the fact that most of those involved with the "debunking" and "skeptic" forefront that is "public" by nature, are chasing the very same brass ring... not that I'm insinuating that James Randi & Co. are con-men, double-talkers, and crooks :roll: But as the evangelists of the skeptic & atheist movement, they are always after headlines and as such, exploit this silent truth, deliberately pointing the public to these negative examples rather than recognizing that there is a much larger "silent" element within the Psychic community that is "reclusive" and passive to a fault... their way of living does not support the need to "prove" anything to anyone. It's not cowardice, just the essence of living in accordance to "spiritual focus"... and by the way, there are members of the skeptic's community that actually exhibit this same kind of unique "balance" or "confidence" if you would -- inner-peace -- which, as I understand it all, is what all of humanity is supposed to be striving towards, NOT all the money, material possessions, and popularity. I could be wrong, but that's what I've learned to understand over the years...

VAWT, I'll assume that you are a bit of a believer and if that is the case, I would encourage you to consider what I've taken the past few paragraphs to present, in that it will give you a far more clear a portrait of what is and isn't and why. ;)


Blessed Be & Blessed Solstice to All :mrgreen:
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: $1,000,OOO CASH ONLY PRIZE

Postby ProfWag » 13 Dec 2010, 01:57

Craig Browning wrote:The Third Problem (and this is very important)... the majority of those that are "legit" when it comes to the whole Psychic thing ARE NOT OUT TO PROVE A POINT. They don't want to be in the limelight, they could care less about monetary & material gain (it's just not part of their spiritual-humanitarian philosophy... look into the philosophies of Lord Buddha or Confucius to get a glimpse on such things.) As a result to this fact alone, the event would only draw in those individuals that are ego/fame/greed driven and that typically means that you will end up with a collection of cheats, horse-thieves, and scoundrels.(trust me, I know more than a few of them :lol: )

Uhm, I think I have to disagree, especially about the monetary gain. Could you point me to a "legit" Psychic that will give me a reading for free please? Seriously.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: $1,000,OOO CASH ONLY PRIZE

Postby ProfWag » 13 Dec 2010, 02:00

ProfWag wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:The Third Problem (and this is very important)... the majority of those that are "legit" when it comes to the whole Psychic thing ARE NOT OUT TO PROVE A POINT. They don't want to be in the limelight, they could care less about monetary & material gain (it's just not part of their spiritual-humanitarian philosophy... look into the philosophies of Lord Buddha or Confucius to get a glimpse on such things.) As a result to this fact alone, the event would only draw in those individuals that are ego/fame/greed driven and that typically means that you will end up with a collection of cheats, horse-thieves, and scoundrels.(trust me, I know more than a few of them :lol: )

Uhm, I think I have to disagree, especially about the monetary gain. Could you point me to a "legit" Psychic that will give me a reading for free please? Seriously.
The subject of whether or not they ARE "legit" is different, but you say they could care less about monetary gain. I'm just not sure I can agree with that.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: $1,000,OOO CASH ONLY PRIZE

Postby really? » 13 Dec 2010, 11:50

Craig Browning wrote:


The Third Problem (and this is very important)... the majority of those that are "legit" when it comes to the whole Psychic thing ARE NOT OUT TO PROVE A POINT. They don't want to be in the limelight, they could care less about monetary & material gain (it's just not part of their spiritual-humanitarian philosophy... look into the philosophies of Lord Buddha or Confucius to get a glimpse on such things.) As a result to this fact alone, the event would only draw in those individuals that are ego/fame/greed driven and that typically means that you will end up with a collection of cheats, horse-thieves, and scoundrels.(trust me, I know more than a few of them :lol: )




I doubt they are as altruistic as you say. You offer an over used tired apologetic argument. Win the bucks and give it all to charity. That would be altruistic.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: $1,000,OOO CASH ONLY PRIZE

Postby Craig Browning » 13 Dec 2010, 23:05

ProfWag wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:The Third Problem (and this is very important)... the majority of those that are "legit" when it comes to the whole Psychic thing ARE NOT OUT TO PROVE A POINT. They don't want to be in the limelight, they could care less about monetary & material gain (it's just not part of their spiritual-humanitarian philosophy... look into the philosophies of Lord Buddha or Confucius to get a glimpse on such things.) As a result to this fact alone, the event would only draw in those individuals that are ego/fame/greed driven and that typically means that you will end up with a collection of cheats, horse-thieves, and scoundrels.(trust me, I know more than a few of them :lol: )

Uhm, I think I have to disagree, especially about the monetary gain. Could you point me to a "legit" Psychic that will give me a reading for free please? Seriously.


What part of the country do you live in? I can put word out and see if anyone is available out your way, but the easiest way of finding them is to simply get involved with the New Age/Pagan type element... if anything, to honestly learn about their beliefs & views but, in time there will be "elders" (as they are typically recognized) that will start warming up to you and in that process, you will find the genuine article... it's a vetting process you might say, helping the novice to sift through the chaff in order to find the grain.

The handful of "true" sensitives I've encountered over the past 35 or so years, were subtle and rarely ever claim that they are anything other than (as the Dahlia Lama might say) "a simple monk doing what the universe guides them to say & do..." They do not claim any kind of outrageous "power" though many will identify with some kind of deity or higher consciousness. I think most of this latter bit is a conditioned habit of environment, it's akin to Atheists crying out "Oh God" during sex :lol: Just natural human patterns created through osmosis. :twisted:
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA


Return to JREF / Randi Challenge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest