View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Videos of James Randi in debates

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Videos of James Randi in debates

Postby Scepcop » 18 Jun 2010, 22:19

Check out this debate in 1993 on Australian TV between James Randi and Simon Turnbull. In the first part, mention of the Randi sex tapes is brought up which were played in court, which Randi tries to avoid.

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Debate: James Randi vs. Simon Turnbull

Postby Scepcop » 27 Jun 2010, 18:26

Did anyone see the debate? Why is it that Randi, found guilty of libel, claims that it doesn't count since he didn't have to pay any damages? If he's found guilty, then he's guilty. It doesn't matter whether he paid anything or not. Why did he go off into an irrelevant argument to obfuscate the issue?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Videos of James Randi in debates

Postby Scepcop » 04 Jul 2010, 19:32

Here is another debate between James Randi vs. 2 mediums and a psychiatrist:

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Jul 2010, 21:51

What a crock of horse hockey from Mr. Randi. With clips such as this, they really need to show the video of the so called 'lies' claimed by Mr. Randi. It seems that Randi was completely off the mark on everything that he claimed.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Jul 2010, 23:02

NinjaPuppy wrote:What a crock of horse hockey from Mr. Randi. With clips such as this, they really need to show the video of the so called 'lies' claimed by Mr. Randi. It seems that Randi was completely off the mark on everything that he claimed.

Randi tends to be "off the mark" more than not, he's just got a good publicist :lol:

I've known about several different situations in which Randi was placed in the hot seat without his knowing ahead of time that this was going to happen. Sadly (and mysteriously) most of the footage is nearly impossible to track down... it's well buried (maybe proof to Randi's claimed ties to the CIA?)

It just amazes me how many are blind to his game :roll:
Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Jul 2010, 23:56

Craig Browning wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:What a crock of horse hockey from Mr. Randi. With clips such as this, they really need to show the video of the so called 'lies' claimed by Mr. Randi. It seems that Randi was completely off the mark on everything that he claimed.

Randi tends to be "off the mark" more than not, he's just got a good publicist :lol:

I've known about several different situations in which Randi was placed in the hot seat without his knowing ahead of time that this was going to happen. Sadly (and mysteriously) most of the footage is nearly impossible to track down... it's well buried (maybe proof to Randi's claimed ties to the CIA?)

From this particular video, it sure does seem like it there was plenty of unsubstantiated accusations being thrown around. That whole birthday thing seemed to be a blatant lie on Randi's part. I would have liked to have seen the actual footage from the 'reading' that they were talking about to compare it to the interview. I'm sure that Randi had some very excellent points about mixing cold/warm reading with claims of being able to speak to the so called dead. I also wonder if this interview with Charles Grodin was edited in favor of Edwards and 'that other guy'.
NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 05 Jul 2010, 00:17

What's the point ?
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Jul 2010, 00:42

really? wrote:What's the point ?

Sorry, but once again I must answer your question with a question. What's the point of what?

a. Discussing a video put here for discussion?
b. Discussing skeptical debate?
c. Having an opinion on something posted in this forum?
d All of the above.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 05 Jul 2010, 01:28

Craig Browning wrote:

It amazes me how many people give a shista about James Randi. Although, I gotta admit, his recent demonstration in Europe of him taking a whole bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills is pretty funny. And telling.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Jul 2010, 02:00

ProfWag wrote:It amazes me how many people give a shista about James Randi.

As for this particular topic area, it was mostly TP and HF2 that started most of the stuff. Now that they are both gone, it's been pretty quiet in here. Now we need to get back on topic.

ProfWag - What did you think about this latest video?
NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 05 Jul 2010, 04:34

NinjaPuppy wrote:

Sorry, but once again I must answer your question with a question. What's the point of what?

d All of the above.

Attacks against Randi like resemble attacks against Al Gore. If we meaning you all could find some way of discrediting Randi the whole of Skepticism would be revealed for what it is a house of cards that would collapse under its own weight. That's my take on topics like this.
Where are James and Edwards ?
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Jul 2010, 05:11

really? wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:

d All of the above.

Attacks against Randi like resemble attacks against Al Gore. If we meaning you all could find some way of discrediting Randi the whole of Skepticism would be revealed for what it is a house of cards that would collapse under its own weight. That's my take on topics like this.
Where are James and Edwards ?

Who is discrediting Randi? I personally made no negative remarks about him at all. I did point out that the video clip sure seemed to present him poorly. I even posed this question:
I'm sure that Randi had some very excellent points about mixing cold/warm reading with claims of being able to speak to the so called dead. I also wonder if this interview with Charles Grodin was edited in favor of Edwards and 'that other guy'.

As far as your question as to where are James and Edwards? I don't really follow the 'mediums' of the world. Not that I don't think it is impossible but IMO, speaking to the dead for fame just seems so impolite. I find it hard to believe that a bunch of dead relatives are available or even care to float around some TV studio to answer questions their relatives already know.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 05 Jul 2010, 05:29

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:It amazes me how many people give a shista about James Randi.

As for this particular topic area, it was mostly TP and HF2 that started most of the stuff. Now that they are both gone, it's been pretty quiet in here. Now we need to get back on topic.

ProfWag - What did you think about this latest video?

Haven't watched it yet, but I will...as soon as I get though all the videos Scepcop's demanded that I watch first... :-)
ProfWag

Postby really? » 05 Jul 2010, 11:30

NinjaPuppy wrote:Who is discrediting Randi?

Seems to me that might be scepcop's intent. There's a presedence for it though I can't be sure.
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Jul 2010, 18:44

really? wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Who is discrediting Randi?

Seems to me that might be scepcop's intent. There's a presedence for it though I can't be sure.

You need to catch up on some back reading here. This might answer some questions: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=328
NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge