View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

No such thing as a Non Skeptic...JREF says different

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: No such thing as a Non Skeptic...JREF says different

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Mar 2010, 13:11

I sent you '' a copy'' of the letter in your scepcop member inbox the other day. Yet you were confused ????????

HF2 it was weird to send me a PM instead of posting it in this thread. I said that before, yet you are confused ????????

Let me make this clear: anything you send to me as a PM is not considered a part of the thread. Got it?
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Mar 2010, 13:15

So the JREF letters welcomes those that consider themselves skeptics and those that do not consider themselves skeptics. What's wrong with those being inviting everyone? How crass that they let everyone post! I can't believe that they don't discriminate!

So now what's the problem? You want them to keep certain types out is that it?
Nostradamus

Postby highflyertoo » 22 Mar 2010, 16:41

Nostradamus wrote:
I sent you '' a copy'' of the letter in your scepcop member inbox the other day. Yet you were confused ????????

HF2 it was weird to send me a PM instead of posting it in this thread. I said that before, yet you are confused ????????

Let me make this clear: anything you send to me as a PM is not considered a part of the thread. Got it?

You ask questions, and I send you answers. So don't cry for not getting it.
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo

Postby highflyertoo » 22 Mar 2010, 16:47

Nostradamus wrote:So the JREF letters welcomes those that consider themselves skeptics and those that do not consider themselves skeptics. What's wrong with those being inviting everyone? How crass that they let everyone post! I can't believe that they don't discriminate!

NO NO NO....... It's Darat and JREF who call people ''NON-SKEPTICS''....... It's not the members themselves who consider themselves a non-skeptic.

I don't call myself a Non-Skeptic,because it's impossible to be a non-skeptic...... Yet JREF consider and label people as Non-Skeptics...... So what's a Non-Skeptic huh?
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo

Postby really? » 22 Mar 2010, 21:27

highflyertoo wrote:
Nostradamus wrote:So the JREF letters welcomes those that consider themselves skeptics and those that do not consider themselves skeptics. What's wrong with those being inviting everyone? How crass that they let everyone post! I can't believe that they don't discriminate!

NO NO NO....... It's Darat and JREF who call people ''NON-SKEPTICS''....... It's not the members themselves who consider themselves a non-skeptic.

I don't call myself a Non-Skeptic,because it's impossible to be a non-skeptic...... Yet JREF consider and label people as Non-Skeptics...... So what's a Non-Skeptic huh?

You've seemed to have missed this

Tell you what. I'll post this question over at the JREF. What is a non-skeptic ? just so a wide range of definitions can be made available for you. I may post some of the answers here if not then a link.

Ok I'll bite. A definition of a non-skeptic could include but not limited to
a. someone that does not use critical thinking most of the time.
b. someone that tends to believe strange things beyond a reasonable doubt.

As for your misunderstanding of the words kook and delusional. Both can refer to persons that have lost touch with reality. More generally as skeptics would use the terms they refer to persons that are deluding themselves into believing something is real when reasonable doubt would say otherwise. An example of kookiness or being delusional are persons that persist in believing the Earth is flat.
Flat Earth Society http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Some more definitions as I promised.

Someone who is inclined to think that things can be taken at face value.

Someone who is not prepared to consider the possibility that they might be wrong.

It's pretty basic: anyone who doesn't abide by logical or scientific methods of inquiry.
Proper skepticism is a process. If at any point one steps outside of that process (which we all do from time to time) then they are behaving in a non-skeptical manner.

I do hope this has clarified what a non-skeptic is.
really?

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Mar 2010, 22:37

I'm not crying. When you sent me something as a PM it's private and not part of the discussion. Had you wanted it to be part of the discussion you'd have placed it in the thread. Later on you did add the information to the OP and now it is a part of the discussion. Well done.

Frankly, now that this is out in the open I see nothing. I said that before. In fact you were kind enough to quote me. So would you prefer the following wording?

The Forum was opened in August 2001 for people to "Be part of the JREF web community by engaging in intelligent discussions with both skeptics and those that do not consider themselves to be skeptics from around the globe".

If you do, why don't you write to whomever and make the suggestion. I'll bet that the folks over there would be interested in your input and might even make such a change if you ask nicely.
Nostradamus

Postby highflyertoo » 23 Mar 2010, 19:39

Nostradamus wrote:

I'm not crying. When you sent me something as a PM it's private and not part of the discussion. Had you wanted it to be part of the discussion you'd have placed it in the thread. Later on you did add the information to the OP and now it is a part of the discussion. Well done.

Frankly, now that this is out in the open I see nothing. I said that before. In fact you were kind enough to quote me. So would you prefer the following wording?

The Forum was opened in August 2001 for people to "Be part of the JREF web community by engaging in intelligent discussions with both skeptics and those that do not consider themselves to be skeptics from around the globe".

If you do, why don't you write to whomever and make the suggestion. I'll bet that the folks over there would be interested in your input and might even make such a change if you ask nicely.

There is no such thing as a Non-Skeptic,yet you and JREF believe there is. So what is a Non-Skeptic? Are Skeptics homosexuals?Is that what Randi's Robots are trying to say. Are you Nostradamus a Closet Queen to?
highflyertoo

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Mar 2010, 19:56

Highflyertoo - You are completely off base with that last comment. I suggest that you debate the issue at hand and not wander from topic to topic with nasty little comments. Your behavior is unacceptable.
NinjaPuppy

Postby highflyertoo » 23 Mar 2010, 20:12

NinjaPuppy wrote:Highflyertoo - You are completely off base with that last comment. I suggest that you debate the issue at hand and not wander from topic to topic with nasty little comments. Your behavior is unacceptable.

I joined two days before you,so doesn't that mean I'm boss and you're not .lol.

The problem I have encountered with Skeptics is that lots of them are homosexuals which always results in them going off at me because I believe in God. Now God FORBIDS homo's. So this means the Skeptic Homosexuals view me and people who believe in God's Existence as the ''ENEMY''. It's the homo's that have the phobia against normal people and have a phobia against crazy me.
highflyertoo

Postby Nostradamus » 23 Mar 2010, 20:18

There is no such thing as a Non-Skeptic,yet you and JREF believe there is. So what is a Non-Skeptic? Are Skeptics homosexuals?Is that what Randi's Robots are trying to say. Are you Nostradamus a Closet Queen to?

1. Why do you claim that the term non-skeptic applies to no one
2. Why do you include me in the statement? Apparently, somewhere along the way you've made a logical mistake.
3. Your question about non-skeptic implies that your claim 1 is wrong
4. Your 4th question is likely to be yes in some cases since a large part of the world's population is likely to be homosexual
5. Your openly homophobic stance leads you to ask weird questions.
Nostradamus

Postby highflyertoo » 23 Mar 2010, 20:37

Nostradamus wrote:

1. Why do you claim that the term non-skeptic applies to no one
2. Why do you include me in the statement? Apparently, somewhere along the way you've made a logical mistake.
3. Your question about non-skeptic implies that your claim 1 is wrong
4. Your 4th question is likely to be yes in some cases since a large part of the world's population is likely to be homosexual
5. Your openly homophobic stance leads you to ask weird questions.

Homophobic? Nah.

Dislike and hatred of homosexual practices? Yes.
highflyertoo

Postby Nostradamus » 23 Mar 2010, 20:51

Thanks. So you are not afraid you are just openly hostile. Nice. And you justify this with the belief in a baby killer god?
Nostradamus

Postby really? » 23 Mar 2010, 21:29

highflyertoo wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Highflyertoo - You are completely off base with that last comment. I suggest that you debate the issue at hand and not wander from topic to topic with nasty little comments. Your behavior is unacceptable.

I joined two days before you,so doesn't that mean I'm boss and you're not .lol.

The problem I have encountered with Skeptics is that lots of them are homosexuals which always results in them going off at me because I believe in God. Now God FORBIDS homo's. So this means the Skeptic Homosexuals view me and people who believe in God's Existence as the ''ENEMY''. It's the homo's that have the phobia against normal people and have a phobia against crazy me.

Yup, you got that right most of us are homosexual. Well, gotta go back to decorating my home tastefully---Ta-ta.
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Mar 2010, 22:23

HF2 - First of all, all skeptics are not homosexuals. Secondly, all skeptics are not atheists. Thirdly, none of this has anything to do with the original topic matter. Fourthly, you have been warned that if you persist down this slippery slope of bigotry, you're gonna get banned. With your past track record, you are looking at a 30 day ban.
NinjaPuppy

Postby highflyertoo » 24 Mar 2010, 10:27

Nostradamus wrote:Thanks. So you are not afraid you are just openly hostile. Nice. And you justify this with the belief in a baby killer god?

I don't,don't ,don't believe in homosexual bashing......... do you understand this? So if you have thought this about me, then cancell those thoughts. I am ''NO SUPPORTER'' of violence towards homosexuals or Lesbians...
highflyertoo

PreviousNext

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge