View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Psychic healer may go to jail

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

Psychic healer may go to jail

Postby Nostradamus » 03 Mar 2010, 12:53

From the UK: 'Psychic healer' who claims he can cure cancer by laying his hands on patients is facing jail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254389/Distance-healer-faces-court-internet-claim-hes-miracle-worker-cure-cancer.html?ITO=1490

But he is being taken to court by trading standards officers under the Cancer Act of 1939, which bans advertising offers to treat cancer and carries the threat of a three-month jail sentence.

He says he found 17 years ago he could 'stimulate a healing response' in patients using the laying-on of his hands and has since treated 'tens of thousands' of people and animals, with 13,700 waiting for his services at up to £30 a session.

He also claims he can cure people around the world using 'distance healing'.

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/09/adrian_pengellys_healing_hands.html
This is the BBC Watchdog show in which they run tests to see what people do. In this case, the person whose website makes great claims was asked to determine the problem with a horse.

His website says "for many conditions he has a 100 per cent success rate even in conditions usually considered incurable".

He failed. To Adrian's assistance, it is true that he says
"When I find the problem 99 times out of 100 times I'll be right."

Not only does Adrian Pengelly claim to have magic hands he also says he can talk to the dead.

He was taken to a house with quickly rigged special effects to make noises and open a cupboard. Adrian became convinced there was a ghost and he had to go.
He claimed to have spoken to his spirit guides and declared the "ghost" in our house was an elderly chap who probably had ulcers on his legs and was called John. If John was going to be such a pest about the place - he had to go.

So Adrian agreed to a third test having messed up the previous 2.
Adrian Pengelly claims he can cure sixty five per cent of terminal cancer. It's his real claim to fame.

What shocked the cancer patient that the BBC used to test Adrian's claim was that he:
He soon repeated his claim to be able to cure up to 65 per cent of cancers. But then, shockingly, tried to dissuade Helen from having chemotherapy.

"My success rate is higher with people who don't have chemo, and lower with people who do," he told her. It's something that still makes Helen very angry.

This is a quick synopsis. Go to the links to read more.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Re: Psychic healer may go to jail

Postby NinjaPuppy » 03 Mar 2010, 21:15

I still can't understand why anyone would suggest that modern medical treatment (in this case chemo) would lower the success rate of an alternate method. Aside from the fact that the 'healer' is a nutcase.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 03 Mar 2010, 21:36

There are many people that make false claims to bolster their own claims.

Then there are people that want to claim victory for something they did not do. An interesting example is in cases where alternative therapies are used after conventional therapies. They claim that the conventional failed and that everything was due to the alternative therapy.
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Mar 2010, 00:25

Nostradamus wrote:There are many people that make false claims to bolster their own claims.

Then there are people that want to claim victory for something they did not do. An interesting example is in cases where alternative therapies are used after conventional therapies. They claim that the conventional failed and that everything was due to the alternative therapy.

Point taken. IMO, I could care less what it was as long as something worked. I guess it's the 'taking credit' or ego that plays into the slippery slope of the mix.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Mar 2010, 02:01

NinjaPuppy wrote:I still can't understand why anyone would suggest that modern medical treatment (in this case chemo) would lower the success rate of an alternate method. Aside from the fact that the 'healer' is a nutcase.

I do know of many "healers" that promote this "get off the drugs" attitude. One of my own mentors claims that any "psychic" that uses so much as Aspirin, is impure and therefore incapable of channeling pure, positive energies... he says this while sucking down another cigarette and scotch...

The RESPONSIBLE healers within the New Age world ALWAYS encourage the client to use what they do in conjunction with what their doctor is doing. This is especially true with hand laying methods like Reiki, Hands of Light, etc. but even legitimate Acupuncture experts will insist on such a cooperative course, keeping the primary care physician "in the loop" when it comes to the work being done.

Psychic's that get into the health environment are running some seriously dangerous risks, especially when you tell someone to stop their treatments. They do not have a medical degree or license and that in and of its own, is against the law (though somehow HMOs and Insurance Companies seem to get away with it :roll: )
Craig Browning

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 11:13

That's very interesting Craig.

I guess we all have a different vision about what is a drug. I always get a weird look from my physician when they ask me if I am taking any drugs and I answer beer. Apparently that was in their range of interest.
Nostradamus

Postby Craig Browning » 05 Mar 2010, 01:58

Nostradamus wrote:That's very interesting Craig.

I guess we all have a different vision about what is a drug. I always get a weird look from my physician when they ask me if I am taking any drugs and I answer beer. Apparently that was in their range of interest.

Hmmm... why would I be getting the name Bob or Bill as the result of that comment? Any idea? ;)
Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2010, 04:46

Last name start with W?

Do I win a prize?????? Huh???? Do I?????
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 17 Mar 2010, 10:06

There has been a resolution of the case against the psychic who claims he can cure cancer and has posted that claim on the internet.

From http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2893714/Healer-cops-it-over-net-cancer-cure-ads.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

But he admitted three charges of breaching the Cancer Act, which makes it illegal to advertise treatments for the disease.

Pengelly, of Leominster, Herefordshire, was fined £600 with £2,000 costs.

Pengelly stated this about the case:
He said: "I am in court for helping people. I have treated more than 20,000 people.

"Trading Standards accept there has never been a complaint against me.

"I have become world famous, both for my results and for my approach.

"Honesty, truth and justice are on my side but the law is against me, so I am extremely honoured and proud to be accused of this offence."
Nostradamus

Postby Craig Browning » 17 Mar 2010, 23:12

NinjaPuppy wrote:Last name start with W?

Do I win a prize?????? Huh???? Do I?????

HAHAHA

Maybe so... I've known them for a bit over 25 years now ;)
Craig Browning

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine