View Active Topics          View Your Posts
Switch to desktop style
Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.
Post a reply

How the Food Industry is Deceiving You (w/Peter Jennings)

28 Feb 2010, 02:35

See this revealing report by Peter Jennings. Perhaps high fructose corn syrup is the reason why Americans are so fat.

Part 1 of 5 begins here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXAZ_7JO7EA

Re: How the Food Industry is Deceiving You (w/Peter Jennings)

28 Feb 2010, 10:19

This is an older report - about 7 years ago it seems. It is interesting in that the claim is that there should be a linear relationship between money spent and the food pyramid.

This seems to me to claim that the cost of production should be linear. In fact, that is unlikely to be the case. A dollar spent on growing vegetables does not produce the same amount of food as $1 spent on raising animals.

Subsidies exist for water. There are price supports. There are payments made to NOT grow crops. It's complicated.

I personally think that the use of high fructose syrup is a problem because it takes a lot more of the sugar in corn syrup to taste as sweet as the sugar found in what we call table sugar. The former as I mentioned is fructose and the latter is sucrose. To get the same level of sweetness requires putting more energy, which is calories, into the food. Fructose is substantially cheaper than sucrose and is easier to produce.

28 Feb 2010, 10:22

I have always suspected that high fructose corn syrup is the devil. :|

28 Feb 2010, 11:24

I think the video had some valid points. One of my peeves is that Americans expect to be 'super-sized'. Portions at restaurants can be quite large. When I did an around the world trip I got used to the more modest and filling portions doled out at restaurants.

We eat more. The food is higher energy. We exercise less. That adds up to more in and less out. You end up packing it on.
Post a reply