[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Oscar - The cat that predicts death : Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine • SCEPCOP Forum
View Active Topics          View Your Posts
Switch to desktop style
Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.
Post a reply

Oscar - The cat that predicts death

04 Feb 2010, 10:43

what do you think about this?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/felines-fat ... -n81a.html

althought i have read about some dogs capable of sniffing cancer (not sure it was prooved tought)
this is the first time that i read about a cat predicting death

:-) what do you think is happening?

Re: Oscar - The cat that predicts death

04 Feb 2010, 21:39

I can give one theory to that article. I worked in a nursing home many years ago. There were nurses and workers who could predict some patients deaths by smell. One day while this person was wheeling a patient around, she mentioned that the woman would die before the weekend was over. The patient seemed to be perfectly fine at the time of prediction so I asked why. She said that the patient had 'the smell of death' coming off the top of her head.

Yes, there was a mild odor that could be detected by my nose but I couldn't place it. The patient died two days later.

So if someone with years of experience and a human nose can smell something that indicates death, I'm sure that an animal can.

04 Feb 2010, 21:50

Ninja's right I think. The theory is that the body emits a different odor just prior to death which is what I think is happening (and I believe the Docs in the Nursing Home think that as well.)

04 Feb 2010, 21:58

Now if that cat could predict that you were going to be hit by a bus from smell, we've got something. :D

04 Feb 2010, 23:14

05 Feb 2010, 15:09

mmmm...
thats an interesting theory

is there any study or any other kind of article of this smell?
or is it just perception on both of your parts?

i know old people smell funny
im not debating that
is just the... a smell prior of dying..
thats does tick me the wrong way.. is that a fact? i guess that could be
just have never heard it,
im honestly asking

05 Feb 2010, 19:34

I don't find it so hard to believe that as our body starts to shut down it could give off gasses that can be detected by our noses. If you cut yourself and it gets infected, the infection gives off an odor. Heck, if you eat a lot of garlic it can come out of your pores for days. I don't find it odd that you might give off gasses once your internal organs begin to shut down.

05 Feb 2010, 20:16

According to the below website, it's been confirmed that skin cancer gives off a specific odor. I'm not trained enough on anything medical to understand the smell of death, but I do think it's reasonable, especially given that domestic pets are said to have noses 300 to 600 times more sensitive than humans.
http://www.sciencentral.com/video/2008/ ... in-cancer/

06 Feb 2010, 00:36

i guess i learned something today
i never knew about this smell of death
thats quite interesting

thanks

06 Feb 2010, 00:51

After I wrote that, I was got to thinking while I was sitting around doing terrible things to my cat with a fork. You know, when we die, our body starts to deteriorate immediately. Fortunately, I haven't had to smell a decomposing corpse very often, but I know it can be horrible. And I was thinking, I remember right before my Mom died that the nurses told us that her organs are shutting down and how it would not be much longer. So, if body organs shut down prior to death, then it seems reasonable that the decomposing organs would emit an odor prior to death as well. Anyway, just something I was thinking about from someone who's not a doctor. I don't believe I want to conduct any experiments on that though.

06 Feb 2010, 02:41

06 Feb 2010, 02:57

14 Mar 2010, 07:58

Post a reply