View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

UK Pharmacy Sells Homeopaths for Profit Only

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

UK Pharmacy Sells Homeopaths for Profit Only

Postby ProfWag » 03 Feb 2010, 22:55

I found this article rather interesting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -work.html
ProfWag

Re: UK Pharmacy Sells Homeopaths for Profit Only

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Feb 2010, 04:31

Good article. Thanks for posting that.

Here's the last sentence from that article... "...If these products don't work beyond the placebo effect, why do people keep buying them?" This seems to be the real question here.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 04 Feb 2010, 04:45

NinjaPuppy wrote:Good article. Thanks for posting that.

Here's the last sentence from that article... "...If these products don't work beyond the placebo effect, why do people keep buying them?" This seems to be the real question here.

If they didn't keep buying them, we would have no discussion here as to whether or not they worked. Of course, it could be that if they worked, people wouldn't need to keep buying them as they would have worked the first time... ;-)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Feb 2010, 04:49

ProfWag wrote:If they didn't keep buying them, we would have no discussion here as to whether or not they worked. Of course, it could be that if they worked, people wouldn't need to keep buying them as they would have worked the first time... ;-)

Does anyone have info on which of these homeopathic products are the 'hot sellers'?
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 04 Feb 2010, 05:02

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:If they didn't keep buying them, we would have no discussion here as to whether or not they worked. Of course, it could be that if they worked, people wouldn't need to keep buying them as they would have worked the first time... ;-)

Does anyone have info on which of these homeopathic products are the 'hot sellers'?

Would it be "HeadOn, apply directly where it hurts?"
Would it be "HeadON, apply directly where it hurts?"
Would it be "HeadOn, apply directly where it hurts?"
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Feb 2010, 05:09

OMG! :shock:
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Feb 2010, 05:11

I've never tried it, so I can't say if it works or not.

You bet your buns that I'll pick some up and wait for a good headache just to give it a try for myself. As long as it's not super expensive because I get the same pain relief from about $.03 of cheap asprin.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 04 Feb 2010, 05:35

Do you have any Vasoline in your cabinet? If so, that should work even better! At least, it will if you believe it will... ;-)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Feb 2010, 06:37

That whole, "If you believe it will" has plenty of merit.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 04 Feb 2010, 08:00

NinjaPuppy wrote:That whole, "If you believe it will" has plenty of merit.

Yes, yes it does. Unless it's something serious that can lead to more serious things without proper treatment.
ProfWag

Postby tiger » 04 Feb 2010, 14:27

My Dad taught me to take my medicine for a cold so that I would get better in 7 days. If I did not take my medicine then it would take all week. This is proof that taking my medicine works. I guess homeopathic medicine works the same way. So it does work, so people buy it.

In all seriousness it takes a lot of effort to work out if a medicine actually works or not. This is something most people are not capable of doing. You need to do a double blind control study to do so. Otherwise you are blinded by wishful thinking and a desire to do something.
tiger

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Feb 2010, 20:56

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:That whole, "If you believe it will" has plenty of merit.

Yes, yes it does. Unless it's something serious that can lead to more serious things without proper treatment.

Agreed. I won't say that there aren't any medical 'miracles' out there because there are stories that can't be explained. Perhaps the only explanation is that the problem was misdiagnosed from the begining.

What I find strange is that too many people decide to ignore early warning signs of serious problems until it's late in the game. It's like if they ignore it, it will go away. They tell themselves they are over reacting or come up with excuses for their problem rather than go to the doctor, armed with a full written list of their symptoms for a proper diagnosis.

It seems that if you want to improve quality of life, it should be taught in school at a very early age. Remove fear from the problem through education. Many children fear going to the doctor. As they grow up, that fear sticks with them. They don't bother to go if they are well for a yearly physical. They only go when they absolutely need to because they are so sick/hurt that they need medication or proper medical attention. Without a yearly physical, there is no base line to compare a change that might indicate something is brewing. Prevention is the first part of good health.

We need to change our thought process in order to be a more healthy world. How much illness could be prevented if we would all simply wash our hands more often or stay away from large crowds when we know we are sick? It's a simple concept that most can't be bothered to follow.

I've often wondered if we could wipe out many simple diseases if the whole would would just stay home for a few weeks. No mixing and mingling or travel. Let whatever it is that your body is cultivating, run it's course without passing it on to the next guy. It's just a thought.
NinjaPuppy

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine