View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Why r skeptics NEVER critical of pharmaceutical co's faults?

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

Re: Why r skeptics NEVER critical of pharmaceutical co's faults?

Postby ciscop » 27 Nov 2009, 23:52

But thanks to them, millions of people have a better quality of life now than they would have 20, 30, 40, 100 years ago.

yep.. and thats the bottom line

you just reminded me of Amanda Feilding the woman that did a self trepanation....oouh gosh
i take a dr advice an take a medicine instead of making a hole in my skull.
Science trumps pseudoscience
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Nov 2009, 05:04

ciscop wrote:so you think your doctor was medicating you that in order to get some prize from big pharma?
or was a true human mistake?

I can't say it was either/or. I do know that I have gone to 7 different general practicioners in the last 20 years and none of them were able to prescribe anything that worked very well without major side effects.

Once again, I must remind you that the topic is pharmaceutical company faults, not their successes. I am not arguing their success in their field, merely how big pharma markets the duds and less than adequate meds via incentives to find that small percentage of people who those duds might actually work on. I however wound up with heart failure and kidney failure due to not being put on an older, more proven drug in the name of 'new and improved' and probably a new fax machine for the docs office.

Ciscop wrote:not every dr. is dr. house after all

I do hope that you are not insinuating that I get my medical information from television. I did quite a bit of study on BP meds and interviewed a few different pharmacists as well as the owner of one of those drug test companies and I came up with the name of BP pill that was simple, had very few bad side effects, was not sulfa based and best of all...inexpensive, yet not one doctor would prescribe it as they all told me that this new one (insert any new BP med here) was better and I could take another prescription to counter all the side effects of the new one. That just doesn't sound like good, rational advice.

Not all meds work well for all people. I understand this. I don't go around eating tree bark when I have a headache or drink Granny Clampett's elixir when I have muscle pain either. Due to the BP meds that I am on, I can't even take asprin due to other problems caused by the BP meds. Tylenol and Motrin can become a major problem as well due to my meds. Most of the OTC meds are off limits due to drug interactions or in the case of OTC cold pills, they can raise my BP, so I usually have to tough it out as best I can without much relief.

As I said, one doc found a perfect combination of BP meds but my insurance company insists on giving me only a generic that doesn't work very well. Since I don't respond as well as the general public to most of the more prefered medications, I am pretty much screwed. I don't expect big pharma to come up with anything for the small population of people who don't respond to the more popular meds but I sure would love it if they would go back to 'pushing' the older meds that don't make their profits and company stock soar.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 28 Nov 2009, 05:30

no no!
i wasnt saying that
i am just saying
dr. house is like the superman of drs. he is always right when he is diagnosing
so what i was saying
a lot of drs are just ok drs.. they dont excell
and because they are humans they can missdignose
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Nov 2009, 06:03

ciscop wrote:

no no!
i wasnt saying that
i am just saying
dr. house is like the superman of drs. he is always right when he is diagnosing
so what i was saying
a lot of drs are just ok drs.. they dont excell
and because they are humans they can missdignose

I've seen the show. To me 'House' tends to use people like lab rats. At least that's the way the script is usually written.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 01 Dec 2009, 09:18

you are right
i think thats why the show is funny, i love sarcasm

but i do get why some people rather see a homeopath who has all the time in the world regardless of selling just water
homeopaths are charismatic and talkative which is just part of their placebo treatment.
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 02 Dec 2009, 04:57

ciscop wrote:but i do get why some people rather see a homeopath who has all the time in the world regardless of selling just water
homeopaths are charismatic and talkative which is just part of their placebo treatment.

Since I've never been to one, I wouldn't know. I do know that I've personally done research for myself into less traditional medical 'cures' and found that sometimes the medical cure is pure overkill.

Take the new cholesterol pills for example. Full of icky side effects and not exactly effective in many cases. Changing a poor diet does much more than those pills do.
NinjaPuppy

Previous

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine