View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby Scepcop » 14 Jun 2013, 11:59

Hi all,
Last week, a friend of mine told me that sunscreen and moisturizer are actually unnecessary and do more harm than good. She said that they actually CAUSE skin cancer rather than prevent it, which is why so many Americans have it nowadays, even though they use sunblock or sunscreen. She also said that the chemicals used in most moisturizing creams are bad for your skin.

I always felt this way too, since the Oil of Olay moisturizing cream I put on my face feels so sticky and uncomfortable on my skin, and made my skin feel like it can't breathe. So I found it odd that so many people were recommending it, including skin care professionals. I also have started having frequent pimple outbreaks after using facial moisturizing cream. Once I stopped using facial creams, the acne stopped as well.

Now let's look at some basic logic here:

- Humans have been fine without sunscreen and facial moisturizers for thousands of years, without having any skin cancer problems. So why the hell is it a necessity nowadays when it wasn't for thousands of years? This logic fallacy is huge and not addressed by the skin care industry.

- How is it that humans began having skin cancer when sunblock was invented, but they didn't have it before? That should speak volumes right there.

- Humans have evolved under the sun for millions of years, so why is the sun now a dangerous thing that you have to protect against with sunscreen? The sun is the source of life and provides vitamin D for your skin. The worse it can do to you is give you a sunburn or dehydrate you. A sunburn is like a chemical peel, and not harmful at all. Kids get it all the time. It's not lethal.

- How come the blacks in Africa who don't use sunscreen don't get skin cancer, but black Americans who do use sunscreen get skin cancer? That right there speaks volumes.

Anyway, my facial skin has been a lot better since I stopped putting moisturizing cream on it, and using organic soap without bad chemicals on it. Some would say that I was using the wrong moisturizer and that I should keep trying others until my acne outbreaks stop. But come on, get real. There are thousands of facial moisturizers out there. I can't just buy all of them and try them every week like a wild goose chase.

Besides, I don't have a dry skin problem. In fact, my face is usually oily. So what's the point of using a moisturizer anyway? Why go through all the trouble? It doesn't make sense!

My friend told me that there is a conspiracy between the skin care industry that sells sunscreen and the cancer industry that profits from it. So you'd best avoid them both altogether. My intuition felt that she was right, based on my experience and gut feeling, as well as the basic logic points outlined above.

What do you all think? Have we all been duped regarding sunscreen and facial moisturizers?

Here are some articles I found that suggest that sunscreen can actually cause skin cancer and do more harm than good. One of them is even by NBC.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28796417/ns/h ... damage-it/
http://www.naturalnews.com/001264.html
http://taraariano.com/moisturizer-the-big-lie/
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/sunsc ... cancer.htm
http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/New ... en_01.html
http://inhabitat.com/study-suggests-tha ... in-cancer/
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/24/study ... ng-cancer/

If you Google "moisturizers cause acne" you will get many hits as well.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29






Re: Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby SydneyPSIder » 15 Jun 2013, 21:16

moisturiser will cause pimples for you simply because it's thick and blocking your pores.

nanoparticles have been described by some as suspect as used in sunscreen, that's all I know
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24

Re: Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Jun 2013, 04:20

I don't know anything about sunscreen causing cancer but I use moisturizer on my face with an SPF of 15 daily. So far, so good.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby Arouet » 16 Jun 2013, 04:33

So let's assume for the sake of the argument that the conclusions of that abc report are correct and some sunscreens due to their formulation actually result in an increase of free radicals - does that mean it must be a conspiracy and that the "cancer inducstry" is deliberately causing more cancer, or are ther other options Scepcop?
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby really? » 16 Jun 2013, 10:10

Winston it seems you have a rather unwarranted approach to looking at things. Everything is tinged with conspiracy rather than a well reasoned conservative outlook. From my reading and limited knowledge on the subject it's not these products directly cause skin cancers but how inappropriately an inadequately and with over confidence people have using these products that is the cause for skin cancers.

Winston how do you know people of the past didn't not suffer skin cancer?
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Jun 2013, 00:07

Scepcop wrote:Now let's look at some basic logic here:

Allow me to add some NinjaPuppy logic to your Q&A:

Scepcop wrote:- Humans have been fine without sunscreen and facial moisturizers for thousands of years, without having any skin cancer problems. So why the hell is it a necessity nowadays when it wasn't for thousands of years? This logic fallacy is huge and not addressed by the skin care industry.

I don't know how off base I am with my following statement but from what I remember back in the "good ol' days".... People just died or got sick and died and they did at a much earlier age than today. The cause of death was usually "natural causes". Medical science didn't have the current technology that we have today to pinpoint the cause of death. You kids today have specific names for EVERYTHING. When I was a kid you got "cancer", and it was untreatable, and it was simple.... you died from it.

Not to stray from the actual topic of skin cancer but when I was a kid you could die from a rusty nail or diseases you kids never even heard of, let alone suffered from. Medical science has come a long, long way in 6 or 7 decades and is increasing at lightening speeds nowadays.

Scepcop wrote:- How is it that humans began having skin cancer when sunblock was invented, but they didn't have it before? That should speak volumes right there.

Because before the 60s, men wore a full suit and tie to cut the lawn and women's clothing covered them down to below the knees. You weren't properly dressed without some outlandish, stupid hat with matching shoes. Our bodies were more covered up than they are today. Heat exhaustion was a bigger killer as fabric was not transparent or lightweight. Yes, bathing suits were pretty much the same (a one piece) but you wore it with a full length beach cover up and matching big assed hat, sunglasses (think Jackie O) and you had the family beach umbrella with matching beach blanket.

Scepcop wrote:- Humans have evolved under the sun for millions of years, so why is the sun now a dangerous thing that you have to protect against with sunscreen?

Haven't we sort of screwed up the ozone layer or something like that? Humans have also evolved, working in an indoor office/factory environment rather than outdoors. And back to when I was a kid, you got thrown outside and didin't come back inside until the street lights came on. You got a gradual seasonal build up tan. Nowadays you get 2 weeks to get all the sun you can before you're trapped back inside except for the occasional weekend event where you wind up burned to a crisp if you spend a day outside.

We also relocate more than before. When I was a kid, you pretty much died in the town where you were born. Massive retirement communities were not created to attract people over 55. You were lucky if you made it to 55 without some sort of major medical ailment. Now we make all the old people go to places like Sun City in AZ or the Everglades in Florida because nobody wants to be constantly reminded that they are going to look like that in another 20 or 30 years. We put old people where the sun is downright caustic.

Scepcop wrote:The sun is the source of life and provides vitamin D for your skin. The worse it can do to you is give you a sunburn or dehydrate you. A sunburn is like a chemical peel, and not harmful at all. Kids get it all the time. It's not lethal.

Get burned bad enough and without proper treatment, it can be lethal.

Scepcop wrote:- How come the blacks in Africa who don't use sunscreen don't get skin cancer, but black Americans who do use sunscreen get skin cancer? That right there speaks volumes.

I think that this link will answer this question: http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sk ... n-of-color

Scepcop wrote:My friend told me that there is a conspiracy between the skin care industry that sells sunscreen and the cancer industry that profits from it. So you'd best avoid them both altogether. My intuition felt that she was right, based on my experience and gut feeling, as well as the basic logic points outlined above.

While I don't completely agree that it's a "conspiracy", I do believe that scare tactics are used to market many different products. I also believe that sunscreen is not for me. It makes me feel like crap. It makes me as hot as if I'm wearing a wool sweater and gives me a nasty rash.

Scepcop wrote:What do you all think? Have we all been duped regarding sunscreen and facial moisturizers?

Now facial moisturizers are a horse of a different color. Most have some SPF value and some have high SPF value. I don't do anything over a 15 if I can help it and I don't wear it for the SPF value. I'll spare all of the gentlemen here with my personal feelings about facial moisturizers.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby SydneyPSIder » 18 Jun 2013, 09:28

also, people have evolved with different levels of pigmentation depending upon latitude. the study of the chemistry of pigmentation is pretty fascinating, and the supposed natural selection processes that go with it. anyhow, white folks have pretty well adapted to freezing conditions with little sun, presumably also needing clothes to survive -- i.e. migrating into northern Europe and surviving was probably only achieved by wearing animal furs, in the last 40,000 years, say, with appropriate allowances for Ice Ages. hence north Europeans' skin is incredibly fair to try to capture as much sunlight as possible and manufacture Vitamin D etc. Africans and people generally living on or near the equator however have evolved dark skin to minimise sun damage. the trouble is with migration and colonisation these days is that people who evolved in extremely low sunlight climates now live in sunny ones, and it's easy to travel thousands of miles in a few hours, rather than never, or over hundreds or thousands of years of slow steady movement allowing adaptation. nature can't keep up with our technology!

nothing much to do with sunscreen there however...
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24

Re: Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby really? » 18 Jun 2013, 22:06

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Scepcop wrote:Now let's look at some basic logic here:

Allow me to add some NinjaPuppy logic to your Q&A:

Scepcop wrote:- Humans have been fine without sunscreen and facial moisturizers for thousands of years, without having any skin cancer problems. So why the hell is it a necessity nowadays when it wasn't for thousands of years? This logic fallacy is huge and not addressed by the skin care industry.

I don't know how off base I am with my following statement but from what I remember back in the "good ol' days".... People just died or got sick and died and they did at a much earlier age than today. The cause of death was usually "natural causes". Medical science didn't have the current technology that we have today to pinpoint the cause of death. You kids today have specific names for EVERYTHING. When I was a kid you got "cancer", and it was untreatable, and it was simple.... you died from it.

Not to stray from the actual topic of skin cancer but when I was a kid you could die from a rusty nail or diseases you kids never even heard of, let alone suffered from. Medical science has come a long, long way in 6 or 7 decades and is increasing at lightening speeds nowadays.

Scepcop wrote:- How is it that humans began having skin cancer when sunblock was invented, but they didn't have it before? That should speak volumes right there.

Because before the 60s, men wore a full suit and tie to cut the lawn and women's clothing covered them down to below the knees. You weren't properly dressed without some outlandish, stupid hat with matching shoes. Our bodies were more covered up than they are today. Heat exhaustion was a bigger killer as fabric was not transparent or lightweight. Yes, bathing suits were pretty much the same (a one piece) but you wore it with a full length beach cover up and matching big assed hat, sunglasses (think Jackie O) and you had the family beach umbrella with matching beach blanket.

Scepcop wrote:- Humans have evolved under the sun for millions of years, so why is the sun now a dangerous thing that you have to protect against with sunscreen?

Haven't we sort of screwed up the ozone layer or something like that? Humans have also evolved, working in an indoor office/factory environment rather than outdoors. And back to when I was a kid, you got thrown outside and didin't come back inside until the street lights came on. You got a gradual seasonal build up tan. Nowadays you get 2 weeks to get all the sun you can before you're trapped back inside except for the occasional weekend event where you wind up burned to a crisp if you spend a day outside.

We also relocate more than before. When I was a kid, you pretty much died in the town where you were born. Massive retirement communities were not created to attract people over 55. You were lucky if you made it to 55 without some sort of major medical ailment. Now we make all the old people go to places like Sun City in AZ or the Everglades in Florida because nobody wants to be constantly reminded that they are going to look like that in another 20 or 30 years. We put old people where the sun is downright caustic.

Scepcop wrote:The sun is the source of life and provides vitamin D for your skin. The worse it can do to you is give you a sunburn or dehydrate you. A sunburn is like a chemical peel, and not harmful at all. Kids get it all the time. It's not lethal.

Get burned bad enough and without proper treatment, it can be lethal.

Scepcop wrote:- How come the blacks in Africa who don't use sunscreen don't get skin cancer, but black Americans who do use sunscreen get skin cancer? That right there speaks volumes.

I think that this link will answer this question: http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sk ... n-of-color

Scepcop wrote:My friend told me that there is a conspiracy between the skin care industry that sells sunscreen and the cancer industry that profits from it. So you'd best avoid them both altogether. My intuition felt that she was right, based on my experience and gut feeling, as well as the basic logic points outlined above.

While I don't completely agree that it's a "conspiracy", I do believe that scare tactics are used to market many different products. I also believe that sunscreen is not for me. It makes me feel like crap. It makes me as hot as if I'm wearing a wool sweater and gives me a nasty rash.

Scepcop wrote:What do you all think? Have we all been duped regarding sunscreen and facial moisturizers?

Now facial moisturizers are a horse of a different color. Most have some SPF value and some have high SPF value. I don't do anything over a 15 if I can help it and I don't wear it for the SPF value. I'll spare all of the gentlemen here with my personal feelings about facial moisturizers.


It seems to me Winston has two problems here. One is he gets a questionable idea in his head and finds questionable info to support his idea. The other is, he does not seem to be well informed.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Sunscreens CAUSE Skin Cancer! Warning!

Postby Medweb » 01 Sep 2014, 18:21

Interesting information. Are you sure its confirm? In NBC article which you have provided its mentioned that "A small but impossible-to-ignore study, published in Free Radical Biology & Medicine" can you provide link to that small study?

To be on the safe side its always a better idea to stay away from sunscreen & other artificial stuff. Before sunscreen was developed were people suffering from skin cancer as more and more people are suffering today?
User avatar
Medweb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Sep 2014, 18:10


Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest