View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

The Science of Healthy Aging - Great Lectures by UCSF

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

The Science of Healthy Aging - Great Lectures by UCSF

Postby Scepcop » 29 Sep 2012, 00:17

Check out these great presentations about healthy aging and living by UCSF and Stanford. They are very informative and contain very good information on healthy living and increasing one's lifespan. I didn't know these universities were into holistic health. I thought they were pawns of big pharma.

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: The Science of Healthy Aging - Great Lectures by UCSF

Postby ProfWag » 29 Sep 2012, 04:57

Anybody worth a flip, regardless of the subject, will look at many angles on a subject. Physicians have to learn about holistic medicine as well as conventional and other methods for health.
I really do believe that you only see one side of a story and think that no one else looks at issues from various viewpoints. Most people then come up with their own conclusion after reviewing information from different angles.
I really do think you have a one track mind Winston...
ProfWag

Postby Scepcop » 29 Sep 2012, 17:04

ProfWag wrote:Anybody worth a flip, regardless of the subject, will look at many angles on a subject. Physicians have to learn about holistic medicine as well as conventional and other methods for health.
I really do believe that you only see one side of a story and think that no one else looks at issues from various viewpoints. Most people then come up with their own conclusion after reviewing information from different angles.
I really do think you have a one track mind Winston...

Why would physicians look at holistic medicine? I thought they were drug peddlers? That's what all the alternative sites like NaturalNews.com say.

How would they make money from holistic medicine? If big pharma doesn't profit, why would they recommend it?

Is UCSF representative of most doctors and the medical profession?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 29 Sep 2012, 17:56

Is it possible that your impression of physicians might not be correct? Do you know that physicians get paid just for seeing you?
Arouet

Postby really? » 29 Sep 2012, 20:10

Arouet wrote:Is it possible that your impression of physicians might not be correct? Do you know that physicians get paid just for seeing you?

Perhaps you might consider inviting fls here to give Winston whole lot less skewed view of what a practicing doctor does. I would, but as you know I can't.
really?

Postby Arouet » 29 Sep 2012, 20:20

Winston is a Skeptiko member - he should stop by and ask her!
Arouet

Postby really? » 30 Sep 2012, 09:31

Arouet wrote:Winston is a Skeptiko member - he should stop by and ask her!

I didn't know that. Hopefully he will.
really?

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine