Sponsors: Expat Living Forum

View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version          Join Mailing List

Is soy healthy or bad for you?

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.
Site Admin

Is soy healthy or bad for you?

Postby Scepcop » July 24th, 2011, 11:05 am

Share |

Some of my forum members on my other forum think that soy is bad for you and kills brain cells.

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... c&start=90

How much truth is there in that? What is that based on? Are there any credible sites or studies that say that soy is bad for you?

Also, if that was true, then how come the majority of Asia that eats soy, haven't had their brain cells reduced? The anti-soy people are not answering that question.

What do you all know about this?

Personally, I've eaten A LOT of soy nearly everyday for many years, and have not had any bad effects from it. So how come people in the alternative health community are treating it like something terrible and dangerous? Are they nutcases?

Thanks,
Winston
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Re: Is soy healthy or bad for you?

Postby ProfWag » July 25th, 2011, 11:19 am

Scepcop wrote:Some of my forum members on my other forum think that soy is bad for you and kills brain cells.

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... c&start=90

How much truth is there in that? What is that based on? Are there any credible sites or studies that say that soy is bad for you?

Also, if that was true, then how come the majority of Asia that eats soy, haven't had their brain cells reduced? The anti-soy people are not answering that question.

What do you all know about this?

Personally, I've eaten A LOT of soy nearly everyday for many years, and have not had any bad effects from it. So how come people in the alternative health community are treating it like something terrible and dangerous? Are they nutcases?

Thanks,
Winston

May I recommend going to a source that you trust and doing some research to see if you conclude there is anything to worry about. Personally, I trust webmd.com and even they pretty much conclude that more studies are needed as to the benefits or problems of soy, especially among breast cancer patients, but some soy, especially in moderation, appears to be healthy. But it does appear that you've asked a good question on this one Winston. I've always thought it healthy, and it probably is, but there are questions from very reputable studies so thank you for this one.

Postby Craig Browning » July 25th, 2011, 11:25 am

but some soy, especially in moderation, appears to be healthy.

and there's the rub, isn't it? MODERATION, something few in our modern world seem to comprehend; it's all or nothing which, ironically, is a "Sin" or, as a rabbi friend of mine points out, something the lord frowns upon frequently in the scriptures and yet, you rarely seen lynch-mobs out protesting obsessive-compulsive behavior in born again Christians. . . :lol:

Postby ProfWag » July 25th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Craig Browning wrote:

and there's the rub, isn't it? MODERATION, something few in our modern world seem to comprehend; it's all or nothing which, ironically, is a "Sin" or, as a rabbi friend of mine points out, something the lord frowns upon frequently in the scriptures and yet, you rarely seen lynch-mobs out protesting obsessive-compulsive behavior in born again Christians. . . :lol:

Of course, beer, wine, caffeine, you name it seems to be okay in moderation...

Postby Craig Browning » July 26th, 2011, 7:14 am

ProfWag wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:

Of course, beer, wine, caffeine, you name it seems to be okay in moderation...

I so want to be crass about this, but I'll be a good boy :twisted:

Postby NinjaPuppy » July 26th, 2011, 12:44 pm

OK, now listen up all you people who don't have to read every label in a grocery store just so you can make something to eat without an allergic reaction that will make you feel miserable or worse, put you in the hospital for a 24 hour observation jail sentence. I will now share what I know about food allergies and I will try to find a link to a somewhat credible source in the process as the questions or commentary comes up:

So how come people in the alternative health community are treating it like something terrible and dangerous? Are they nutcases?

They are usually part of the alternative health community due to the fact that they require or simply desire alternative health information. As in any 'community' you've got your informed level headed people, your nutcases and everything inbetween.

What my body reacts badly to, may be very different from what your body reacts badly to. I only know my own truth or better put, I only know what reacts badly when I eat it. How "credible" this link may be is up to the person reading it: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders ... lergy.aspx

May I recommend going to a source that you trust and doing some research to see if you conclude there is anything to worry about. Personally, I trust webmd.com and even they pretty much conclude that more studies are needed as to the benefits or problems of soy, especially among breast cancer patients, but some soy, especially in moderation, appears to be healthy. But it does appear that you've asked a good question on this one Winston. I've always thought it healthy, and it probably is, but there are questions from very reputable studies so thank you for this one.

Here's pretty much the same thing according to WebMD but there is some slight differences: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/soy-allergy

Rather than make y'all click on another link, here's the text:

Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff

Soy, a product of soybeans, is a common food that can cause allergies. In many cases, soy allergy starts with a reaction to a soy-based infant formula. Although most children eventually outgrow a soy allergy, soy allergy may persist into adulthood.
Often, signs and symptoms of soy allergy are mild, such as hives or itching in the mouth. In rare cases, soy allergy can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis).
If you or your child has a reaction to soy, let your doctor know. Tests can help confirm a soy allergy. If you have a soy allergy, you'll need to avoid products that contain soy. This can be difficult, however, as
soy is common in many foods, such as meat products, bakery goods, chocolate and breakfast cereals
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/soy-allergy/DS00970

Postby NinjaPuppy » July 26th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Just so that Craig Browing doesn't think it's just him, the entire second half of this post decided to poof. I will try it again.

For those of you without any known food allergies, it may be hard to understand that the word "moderation" is not an option. I will use prunes as an example because everyone can relate as to why moderation is stressed when consuming this food. :lol: Plums are not known as a common food allergy food, nor are their dried form, prunes. In the commercial processing of plums to prunes, they sometimes add sulfites. Now sulfites are one of those more common allergy additives that can result in death, so eating one prune with sulfites can result in death depending on the level of reaction to the amount of consumed sulfites.

Here's your sulfite allergy link: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/su ... ensitivity. The list of foods on this article contains the words: dried fruit. Hence my decision to use a prune as an example.

Now take a commercially produced product that contains multiple proven allergic items such as a jar of cheap Chinese duck sauce. You might have prunes used instead of fresh plums, soy and a countless number of preservatives or additives with allergic properties. Instant death in a jar for some. Delicious condiment for others.

Postby NinjaPuppy » July 26th, 2011, 1:05 pm

To get back on point with soy, since it's found in so many different commercially produced products, I doubt that anyone is eating it in moderation. Add a hefty serving of tofu to your regular diet and the word moderation gets blown out of the water. How you are going to feel after consuming whatever amount you personally consume depends on how tolerant you are to soy and it's byproducts.

Soy became popular in the US sometime in the 1700s. It's fast growing (four crops a year in Georgia), can be used for humans (the beans) and for cattle (the left over green leaves and stems either fresh or dried), is not picky about soil or weather and here's the kicker..... WEEVILS WON'T TOUCH IT unlike other legumes or proteins while in storage. IMO, if bugs don't want it, neither do I. Heck a weevil will eat through an oak cask to get at grain or beer but they won't eat soy??? :shock:

Postby Craig Browning » July 29th, 2011, 11:37 am

Okie dookie. . .

Well, I too have lived with a few food allergies as well as those pesky seasonal things that seem to plague everyone. Try having a love affair with Spanish & Italian food while have a Tomato allergy and as of the past few months, a developed glutton sensitivity. We can add in a handful of Legumes and green leafy plants with special "Danger" emphasis on both, Green & Lima Beans as well as Cabbage, Spinach and a handful of others. Long story short, I more than understand what life can be like having such allergies, but I likewise understand that far too many people take such things to an extreme (psychologically) and become paranoid about everything they touch -- take a look at how much the media alone encourages us to FEAR being exposed to this and that germ or bacteria or the sun, water, wine, sex. . . Where do we draw the line and start questioning things? When do we start giving ourselves permission to actually LIVE and EXPERIENCE life?

Caution is a given, fanaticism however needs to be questioned, which is why I lean on the point of Moderation in ALL things. I still have that pizza here and there as well as a slice of Lasagna, life wouldn't be worth living if I couldn't Same goes for that Ice Cream I had yesterday even though I have a worsening case of lactose intolerance. I simply won't allow it to control my life and stifle my ability to enjoying it and what it has to offer. . . health issues have already robbed me of far too many pleasures. . . causing my poor therapist to realize that I actually do have a reason to be depressed and feel as if I keep getting abandoned or "failing" :twisted:

Postby NinjaPuppy » July 30th, 2011, 10:29 am

Craig Browning wrote:Caution is a given, fanaticism however needs to be questioned, which is why I lean on the point of Moderation in ALL things. I still have that pizza here and there as well as a slice of Lasagna, life wouldn't be worth living if I couldn't Same goes for that Ice Cream I had yesterday even though I have a worsening case of lactose intolerance. I simply won't allow it to control my life and stifle my ability to enjoying it and what it has to offer. . . health issues have already robbed me of far too many pleasures. . . causing my poor therapist to realize that I actually do have a reason to be depressed and feel as if I keep getting abandoned or "failing" :twisted:

Having a food allergy simply sucks for most people. The symptoms can be mild or severe, depending on your personal tolerance to that particular food. Like you Craig, I have a number of assorted food allergies. So far none of mine have been "life threatening" but I have required a few trips to the doctors (during office hours) or the ER (doc not available) because of the level of "discomfort" during a particular instance. I can deal with what I would classify as discomfort, inconvenience and plenty of pain if I throw caution to the wind and choose to eat something that I know is going to do a number on me. The one symptom that I don't ignore is when my tongue begins to swell. I don't wait to find out if it's going to affect my breathing and cut off my airways before I seek professional help.

The OP is "Is soy healthy or bad for you?" For me and others with a soy allergy, it is bad. For those without a soy allergy, it's a healthy alternative to other foods that are considered bad due to other factors such as cholesterol. My point was that soy is needlessly added to thousands of commercially produced products that may or may not be clearly put on the label information. While looking for a good example of this for this forum, I came across a plethora of things that are not only unnecessary additives, I personally couldn't understand why certain chemicals are added to everyday foods.

Postby Craig Browning » July 31st, 2011, 9:09 am

I agree with you on how soy has become a convenient filler of sorts, it's amazing where you can things like this, peanut shell as well as nuts & oils, fish components and so forth. I know people that can't use certain commercial laundry detergents because peanut shells are used as part of the filler and their nut allergies are so high.

I've had a few close-calls over the years but it would seem that I've become skilled at balancing things and knowing when I can cheat a bit and risk some limited exposure to certain food stuffs. The Beans however seem something I simply can't side-step, since I was a toddler the instant they hit my mouth I go into convulsions. . . it's not a pretty thing. I then break out in hives something terrible, then again the hives thing is common with other vegies including the ones I will cheat on like Celery (can't make a good stew without).

I've had a couple of docs try to get me to give up my fury friends because I have a mild allergy to them + how they affect my asthma but that ain't going to happen! If it's fury, has a cold nose and gives kisses, I'm a sucker for it :lol:

Postby ProfWag » July 31st, 2011, 9:28 am

May I just point out, as we've discussed in other threads, that Winston once again posts something for us to discuss and then abandons the topic...

Postby NinjaPuppy » July 31st, 2011, 11:11 am

ProfWag wrote:May I just point out, as we've discussed in other threads, that Winston once again posts something for us to discuss and then abandons the topic...

Why yes young man, you may. Were you asking permission or stating a fact? Either way, your post is just fine and dandy.

Postby ProfWag » August 1st, 2011, 5:48 am

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:May I just point out, as we've discussed in other threads, that Winston once again posts something for us to discuss and then abandons the topic...

Why yes young man, you may. Were you asking permission or stating a fact? Either way, your post is just fine and dandy.

Oh Ninja, today's my birthday so I'm not feeling very young today.

Postby Craig Browning » August 1st, 2011, 8:40 am

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:

Oh Ninja, today's my birthday so I'm not feeling very young today.

Look upon the occasion as the celebration of a milestone event, for example, my next birth day will merely be the 2nd anniversary of my 26th birthday. . . which means I'm still young, silly and allowed to enjoy life :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine