View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Do microwaves destroy nutrition in food?

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

Do microwaves destroy nutrition in food?

Postby Scepcop » 12 Sep 2010, 02:49

Have any of you noticed that after you microwave food, it tastes different, like less wholesome than before? Doesn't it make sense that if microwave radiation is dangerous to your body, then it's bad for your food too?

Did you hear that plants won't grow if you give it microwaved water? Is that true?

I heard that Russia banned microwaves in 1976. No wonder I never saw microwaves in Russia. I thought it was cause they weren't advanced enough for it. lol. Since they are very good in science and intellect, don't they have a good reason for it?

Check out these videos:

Check out this hands on radiation test with a microwave:

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Do microwaves destroy nutrition in food?

Postby Scepcop » 12 Sep 2010, 04:30

Also check out this article:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/micr ... ngers.html

Excerpt:

The Proven Dangers of Microwave Ovens

In short, microwaves distort the moleclular structure of the foods. They destroy much of the nutrients and cause many other problems with the immune system over a period of time. If you love your family read this and take the extra couple of minutes to heat the food up the right way.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 12 Sep 2010, 18:07

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby really? » 13 Sep 2010, 03:10

I doubt this will make much difference to you so I'll post this for the benefit of the other readers,

11. Microwaves Alter Food in Undesirable, Possibly Unsafe, Ways

It's a fact of life that any type of cooking changes the chemistry of food. It can reduce the levels of some nutrients, just as it can increase the levels of others (e.g. lycopenes), or make them more or less available to the body for use. (Raw food anyone?) The prevailing view is that microwaves do not alter foods in ways that are any more deleterious or harmful than other types of cooking. In fact, some have argued that the faster cooking time may actually preserve more nutrients versus other methods.

11 Surprising Facts and Myths About Microwave Ovens
http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmen ... ens-460709
really?

Postby Arouet » 13 Sep 2010, 08:12

Ok, I've been trying to track down this Lancet article this guy refers to.

The closest article I can see in the table of contents for that issue (Dec. 9, 1989) is:

AMINOACID ISOMERISATION AND MICROWAVE EXPOSURE
G. Lubec, Chr. Wolf, B. Bartosch
Outline | View at ScienceDirect

Note, the author is not Lee as he describes in his artcle, and there is no Lee listed in the table of contents. However, from what I can tell from pubmed, the article does deal with microwaves and baby milk.

Here is one that appears to be similar:

Free amino acid concentrations in milk: Effects of microwaveversus conventional heating

Marie-Paule Vasson, M. -C. Farges, A. Sarret and L. Cynober

Abstract
Microwave effects on free amino acid concentrations in milkversus a water bath heating were investigated in view of their importance for infant growth. Concentrations of few amino acids, such as aspartate, serine or lysine, are unchanged whatever the way and the temperature of heating. In contrast, tryptophan concentrations decreased similarly whatever the way of heating

Here is an article I was able to find: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1518698

Pediatrics. 1992 Sep;90(3):412-5.
Microwave heating of infant formula: a dilemma resolved.

Sigman-Grant M, Bush G, Anantheswaran R.

Department of Food Science, College of Agricultural Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802.
Abstract

Microwave heating of infant formula is a common practice despite concerns of infant scalding. Beyond the issue of physical safety, little is known about the effects on nutrient content of microwave heating of infant formula. Casein-predominant infant formula in 120- and 240-mL glass and plastic nursing bottles of varying colors were heated for 40 seconds and 60 seconds, respectively. Temperature profiling was monitored during the heating cycle. Analysis of riboflavin and vitamin C was made prior to and after heating. Topmost portions reached a mean temperature of 44.7 +/- 1.7 degrees C and 43.0 +/- 2.4 degrees C for all types of 240-mL and 120-mL bottles, respectively. Topmost temperatures were significantly hotter than temperatures reached at other sites. Routine mixing resulted in formula temperatures which could safely be fed to infants (35.4 +/- 0.3 degrees C and 33.9 +/- 0.2 degrees C for 240-mL and 120-mL bottles, respectively). There was no significant loss of either riboflavin or vitamin C. Protocols for microwave heating are given.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Sep 2010, 17:56

I have always had questions about microwaves. I did purchase an EMF meter and tested my microwave. It sure does make that meter go wild. Other than that, I got squat on the subject.
NinjaPuppy

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine