View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby Arouet » 28 Sep 2011, 03:36

We all have patterns. It's not like proponents all have an individual songbook. When frquenting only communities (or any community) you often see the same arguments going around, no matter what side of an issue you fall on.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07






Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Sep 2011, 04:43

Arouet wrote:We all have patterns. It's not like proponents all have an individual songbook. When frquenting only communities (or any community) you often see the same arguments going around, no matter what side of an issue you fall on.

And as "they" say... birds of a feather, flock together.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby Craig Browning » 29 Sep 2011, 01:45

Which are?....what, that we want to see valid, repeatable evidence for psi? Uhhh, yea, that should actually be a pattern common to 100% of the skeptics.


I can, to a point, understand that point. What I don't understand is the assholiness of most skeptics when it comes to pushing their views and belittling people that refuse to agree with them. It's identical to how fundamentalists of most any religious or political cult act & react. Yet, we have the denial or the apologetic side in which the bully, sometimes in a genuine way, realizes that they may in fact be over bearing, lack understanding, etc.

The "problem" is that most who consider themselves a skeptic in today's world won't study all sides of the issue they judge, condemn & reject. They base their views on limited perspective and the dogmatic fantasy that everything is either black or white when in truth, life is filled with grey. . . lots and lots of grey.

If the "miraculous" were repeatable it would not be miraculous e.g. to prove such things is impossible. This does not mean it doesn't exist, it only means that we are not YET at the analytical level required for understanding and being responsible for such things and such abilities though this "power" might be lent to or manifest through certain individuals, few of which actually learn to work with it "properly" and those that do tend to protect it, which means NOT participating in carnal games a.k.a. experiments and research which is never ending and inhuman -- disconnected from what is actually important in life and in being alive.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby ProfWag » 29 Sep 2011, 03:22

Craig Browning wrote:
Which are?....what, that we want to see valid, repeatable evidence for psi? Uhhh, yea, that should actually be a pattern common to 100% of the skeptics.


I can, to a point, understand that point. What I don't understand is the assholiness of most skeptics when it comes to pushing their views and belittling people that refuse to agree with them. It's identical to how fundamentalists of most any religious or political cult act & react. Yet, we have the denial or the apologetic side in which the bully, sometimes in a genuine way, realizes that they may in fact be over bearing, lack understanding, etc.

The "problem" is that most who consider themselves a skeptic in today's world won't study all sides of the issue they judge, condemn & reject. They base their views on limited perspective and the dogmatic fantasy that everything is either black or white when in truth, life is filled with grey. . . lots and lots of grey.

If the "miraculous" were repeatable it would not be miraculous e.g. to prove such things is impossible. This does not mean it doesn't exist, it only means that we are not YET at the analytical level required for understanding and being responsible for such things and such abilities though this "power" might be lent to or manifest through certain individuals, few of which actually learn to work with it "properly" and those that do tend to protect it, which means NOT participating in carnal games a.k.a. experiments and research which is never ending and inhuman -- disconnected from what is actually important in life and in being alive.

Here's how I see it. Yes, you're right that far too many skeptics are downright assholes. Of course, far too many supporters of psi are downright assholes as well. In fact, there are far too many assholes out there--period--(especially in anonymous forums). But I digress...
The truth is, there are less than 100 people in the world that have the research, education, hands-on experimentation, and experience to expertly comment on psi either way. The rest of us are pretty much talking out of our ass based on what we've read and heard only and then based on what our perception was of what we've read. As of this writing, I'm unaware of any of those 100 people or so going public stating they have the verifiable confidence in anything paranormal. As mentioned in another topic, scientists recently announced they may have gone faster than the speed of light, shattering Einstein's theories. That was headline news and it hasn't even been replicated yet. As such, I feel confident that should one of those 100 people have this verifiable confidence, the world would know it and as of now, I haven't heard that. Have any of you?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 Sep 2011, 07:28

ProfWag wrote:As mentioned in another topic, scientists recently announced they may have gone faster than the speed of light, shattering Einstein's theories. That was headline news and it hasn't even been replicated yet. As such, I feel confident that should one of those 100 people have this verifiable confidence, the world would know it and as of now, I haven't heard that. Have any of you?

All I know is that lately I have only two speeds, 'slow' and 'stop'. The 'speed of light' is not in my vocabulary.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby Craig Browning » 29 Sep 2011, 16:42

NinjaPuppy wrote:All I know is that lately I have only two speeds, 'slow' and 'stop'. The 'speed of light' is not in my vocabulary.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ProfWag, how did you get that number -- 100 valid researchers? Are you including those in the Psych departments of each UCLA Campus, Berkley, OSU not to mention Harvard and other Ivy league icons. That's just in the U.S. the various elements of the former Soviet Union have been involved with research for at least 50-60 years via government funding and I'm rather certain you will find similar in Germany, the Scandinavian nations and the orient. . . I'm pretty certain that's more than 100 and at that, I'd bet more than a few of these people have some serious credentials.

That's before we move into the whole Quantum everything side of science where actual physicists are finding some rather serious plausibility factors that have been shared in Time, News Week and other such publications as well as Nat Geo TV, the Science Channel, etc.

You are correct, the world has a disproportionate number of assholes in it the bigger problem however, are the hemorrhoids. :lol:
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby ProfWag » 29 Sep 2011, 18:45

Craig Browning wrote:ProfWag, how did you get that number -- 100 valid researchers?

I was actually being generous to include assistants and a few others, but here's where I got my number Craig:

"As the director of the Consciousness Research Lab at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, Radin readily concedes that there are easier courses than having to steer between the die-hard skeptics who lump him in with astrologers and alchemists and the Madame Zodiac true believers who think that every bent spoon and levitated table is proof of the mind's agency in the material world. Once, a psychiatrist whom Radin was dating brought him to a party of academics. When she made the introductions, she sounded like a curator with a rare insect specimen: "This is my friend Dean -- he's a parapsychologist!"

There are about 40 of these exotic creatures doing research in the world. Of those, Radin may be the most creative; certainly no one is running harder. He has published 165 papers, 44 in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings, and has 16 more in the mill. He has worked almost everywhere a parapsychologist can collect a paycheck. He spent six years doing industrial research at AT&T Bell Laboratories and four at G.T.E. He had a parapsychology fellowship at the University of Edinburgh and did stints at the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) lab and at S.R.I. International, an institute in Menlo Park, Calif., where he took part in classified military research. He has served twice as president of the Parapsychology Association."

http://www.deanradin.com/nytimes_hires_f.html

There may be more, but my point is that if one is not currently doing research, they are only taking the information provided rather than searching for it themselves.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 Sep 2011, 20:50

With the state of the current economy, we're lucky that any research is happening.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby Craig Browning » 30 Sep 2011, 01:28

NinjaPuppy wrote:With the state of the current economy, we're lucky that any research is happening.


And that's on the actual important things in life :?

Don't get me started on this :x
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby craig weiler » 30 Sep 2011, 06:25

Yes,
Parapsychology is a tiny field with about 50 active researchers at any one time. It varies and most of the funding comes from private sources. I have a feeling that this will change soon with so much pressure being exerted from a variety of sources to take consciousness more seriously. Also, Bem's precog study is making waves because it got into the most prestigious psychology journal.
A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.
User avatar
craig weiler
 
Posts: 386
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:08
Location: San Francisco Peninsula

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby Arouet » 30 Sep 2011, 10:37

Frankly, I don't think the money thing will change until they figure out how to make money from the results of the research!
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby craig weiler » 30 Sep 2011, 12:12

Perhaps, but I don't think so personally. I know that there is work being done on a thought switch.
A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.
User avatar
craig weiler
 
Posts: 386
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:08
Location: San Francisco Peninsula

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby NinjaPuppy » 30 Sep 2011, 20:17

Arouet wrote:Frankly, I don't think the money thing will change until they figure out how to make money from the results of the research!

Arouet - You left out the most important reason.... world domination. :D That's better than money.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby ProfWag » 30 Sep 2011, 20:45

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Arouet wrote:Frankly, I don't think the money thing will change until they figure out how to make money from the results of the research!

Arouet - You left out the most important reason.... world domination. :D That's better than money.

Yes, I'm kinda surprised that Scepcop hasn't found a way to connect psychics and the New World Order, but maybe he has and I breezed right by that post.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby craig weiler » 30 Sep 2011, 21:44

I would personally like to see some power hungry monster put a X-Men style telepathy helmet on and watch that idiot try to deal with the human cacophony of emotional noise and pain that is so typical of everyone. Psychic people are born into this and learn at an early age to deal with it, but others who are less sensitive would likely go half mad.
A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.
User avatar
craig weiler
 
Posts: 386
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:08
Location: San Francisco Peninsula

PreviousNext

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron