[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure : Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine - Page 4 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

Re: Homeopathy just doesn't work - It's a failure

Postby ProfWag » 24 Sep 2011, 07:51

ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 24 Sep 2011, 08:07

ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 24 Sep 2011, 09:02

PW: I misread you, I think you missed Radin's gist. He wasn't saying that he thought psi was weak and uncertain. He was chidding the skeptics for not yet latching onto the big ideas of psi and predicting that in a few years (one psi was mainstream and established) that they'd be touting that they believed in it all the time because it was so obvious.

He's said the same thing more recently I believe. I think I recall hearing him say this in an interview not too long ago. Either him or one of his peers/
Arouet

Postby craig weiler » 24 Sep 2011, 09:06

I have just demonstrated the total disconnect between skepticism and the science. If that is not in the least convincing to you then you are truly stuck.
A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.
craig weiler

Postby ProfWag » 24 Sep 2011, 20:01

ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 24 Sep 2011, 20:05

ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 24 Sep 2011, 21:00

Believe me: he wasn't. Not Dean Radin. He was talking about mainstream acceptance of psi. He's written a couple books on psi - he thinks the evidence is strong.
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 25 Sep 2011, 05:01

Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 25 Sep 2011, 05:32

Again Craig: if I'm going to do this I would like a way to reliably analyse it: do you have one or do you just go on feeling?
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 25 Sep 2011, 20:38

ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 25 Sep 2011, 20:46

ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 26 Sep 2011, 00:49

No, I've not side stepped anything. I believe my statement was far more cover-all and referring to skeptics as a whole and how they react towards believers and "imply" for lack of a better term, that we are missing more than a few marbles. Said implication stems from the previously noted sense of arrogance and the "I'm smarter than you because. . ." attitudes and in some instances, out and out claims made by individuals like Shermer, Hyman and the like; Penn Jillette and several noted "entertainers" from that world will boldly tell audience members that they are "STUPID" for buying into such "Crap". . . then again, said dynamic duo have no qualms about insulting anyone or anything they don't like (and admittedly, I've had to laugh at some of it).

:oops: Maybe I've inadvertently tossed you guys into the same basket, but as they say, if it walks like a duck. . .

Because of my interaction with certain notables in the skeptic world (non-confrontations, let's go to dinner type bits and friendly phone chats) I know that this view does not exist with all members of that community and too, I know most don't realize they project such venom and animosity -- ego. But there is a reason why I keep tying skeptics in with fundamentalist Christians and how they are just as dogmatic when it comes to believing that their "truth" is the "only" truth and all that believe the contrary are damned and fools. Even Randi has joked about how close some of today's skeptics are exactly like the religionists.

As to the book, I still dare any of our skeptical members to do as I suggested previously and set aside that year or two, forget all the critical assumptions and do your best to not dissect the material; JUST DO IT! and keep a personal record in regards to your experiences. You can come back later with that fine-toothed critics comb and analyze things, but for the time of this experiment, sit that side of your nature off to the side and just let things unfold as they will -- accept the little things and seek to understand them on a more "emotional" level -- seek to connect with that less dominant side of your nature so you can learn to see things in a more rounded and fair sense.

Another set of books that may help those that choose to take up this challenge would be;
Real Magic by P. I. Bonewits
A Kabbalah for Modern Times by Migene Gonzalez-Wipler
The Psychology of Religious Ritual by M. P. Hall (Hall has tons of great stuff you may actually enjoy)
Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig

The Novels
The Celestine Prophecy (only the first book and related workbook) by James Redfield -- while controversial, the first book with the workbook that followed it (less well known) are widely viewed as "genuine" when it comes to metaphysical living and the more elementary side of learning to appreciate all things and all people in a more universal sense that has strong spiritual and even emotional ties. The workbook is an excellent step by step process of self-investigation and learning to know who the real person is behind the facade.

Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach is one of the best, simple demonstrations on Reincarnation and how the soul and consciousness evolves with each life time. You may not want to buy into the idea of Reincarnation but this tale can help clarify a great deal when it comes to the concept. Ironically that isn't what made Richard write the book; it was a series of dreams he had about a WWII flight team that used a Seagull as part of their logo.

ILLUSIONS also by Bach, will help you see the idea of metaphysical life from both, the neophyte and adept perspectives via which a good dose of humor has been injected alongside a must interesting revelation at the close of the text, that will certainly appeal to every skeptic's heart (but don't jump to the end of the book, enjoy the journey so you get the punch-line).

This "challenge" does not have the goal of converting anyone or creating any sort of drastic change in an individual's life, such things are personal and part of their own process. On the other hand, this challenge about cultivating understanding based on the experiential -- a first hand investigation and "experimentation" around the things you happen to condemn/deny. It's really the only way anyone can HONESTLY present a personal point of view on any subject; to jump into the pool and take a long swim prior to forming an opinion.
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 26 Sep 2011, 20:34

ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 27 Sep 2011, 22:03

Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 28 Sep 2011, 02:52

ProfWag

PreviousNext

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine