[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
I'm a skeptic of any afterlife : Afterlife Research / Ghosts and Spirits - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

I'm a skeptic of any afterlife

Discussions about Afterlife Research, Survival Science, Near Death Experiences, Out of Body Experiences, Spirit Communication, Mediumship, Ghosts, Spirits, etc.

Re: I'm a skeptic of any afterlife

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Jul 2012, 06:57

NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 26 Jul 2012, 07:01

oh, buddhism is generally acknowledged to be a religion - you don't need deities for a religion.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Jul 2012, 07:03

NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 26 Jul 2012, 07:25

Ahh, I get it. haha.
Arouet

Postby truthleaker » 27 Jul 2012, 00:09

truthleaker

Postby Craig Browning » 27 Jul 2012, 01:25

Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Jul 2012, 01:32

NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 27 Jul 2012, 02:53

the Interesting thing about the parrallel or multi-world hypothesis is that they are trying to make it testable. The theory is that if there are these parrallel worlds they will sometimes bump up against our own and that will create "bumps" in the background radiation. They are looking for those bumps. How viable this is I have no idea, but its interesting that they are testing the hypothesis.
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 27 Jul 2012, 03:08

ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 27 Jul 2012, 03:57

I'm going to disagree with you a bit in your approach here, PW - and it may just have been loose wording. It's not pure logic that leads me to not believe in God. The God hypothesis is an empirical claim - not a logical one. I don't think there is any logical impossibility about the concept of a deity. The issue is, I don't think there is reliable evidence of one.

We can logically think of afterlives that have a deity - and ones that don't. For example, it could be that conciousness is fundamental and has always been around and it just found a vehicle when animals and people evolved. It may have had nothing to do with the creaton of the universe.

For something like reincarnation, I do think that while you don't quite need a deity - you do need some sort of administration. There has to be a way for the souls to get matched up with bodies and that implies some kind of decision maker or organiser. Not necessarily a deity but some sort of supernatural organising force.

So i think there are various options and just THINKING about them isn't going to take us very far. The question is is what evidence is there for any particular god or afterlife hypothesis, and how reliable is it? Keep in mind, there is evidence out there for life after death. The question is - how reliable is it?
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 27 Jul 2012, 05:38

ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 27 Jul 2012, 06:15

I agree with you that the evidence is not convincing of a god, or life after death, but that's not because it is logical. There's no logical impossibility. Saying you just can't imagine how there could be life after death is an argument from personal incredulity. In fact, you are being - gasp - illogical when you make that argument!

What is logical is to say that you'll withold belief in a deity until sufficient evidence is presented.
Arouet

Postby Randi McSheldrake » 27 Jul 2012, 06:56

"Doubt A; then doubt B. Then doubt both A and B. Then doubt your ability to doubt enough."
Robert Anton Wilson
Randi McSheldrake

Postby ProfWag » 27 Jul 2012, 20:57

ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 27 Jul 2012, 21:35

Arouet

PreviousNext

Return to Afterlife Research / Ghosts and Spirits