[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Near-Death Experiences Explained? : Afterlife Research / Ghosts and Spirits - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Near-Death Experiences Explained?

Discussions about Afterlife Research, Survival Science, Near Death Experiences, Out of Body Experiences, Spirit Communication, Mediumship, Ghosts, Spirits, etc.

Re: Near-Death Experiences Explained?

Postby Scepcop » 03 Dec 2010, 21:16

To believers of the soul and afterlife:

I have a question for you about consciousness and the brain that I'm wrestling with. Maybe you can shed some light on it.

During anesthesia, most people black out. They don't even dream. They lose all awareness until they wake up later. That happened to me once too. I didn't even dream like in normal sleep.

So my question is, if I lose all awareness of time and thought during anesthesia, is that evidence that consciousness depends on brain? How can that be? I'm sure the skeptics will use that to argue that consciousness does not survive death, right?

How would you explain this?

Also, why does my awareness disappear during normal sleep? How can my soul or consciousness be switched off like a light switch? Can you explain this?

It does seem that when you dream, time doesn't pass in a normal sequence like it does in waking consciousness. I wonder why that is. Do dreams take place in a realm where time doesn't operate as we know it?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby caniswalensis » 03 Dec 2010, 21:29

caniswalensis

Postby Arouet » 03 Dec 2010, 22:36

There is a lot of research being done on this field. The AWARE study should be out next year or 2012. It will be interesting.
Arouet

Postby Paradox » 28 Jan 2011, 18:24

To believers of the soul and afterlife:

"I have a question for you about consciousness and the brain that I'm wrestling with. Maybe you can shed some light on it.

During anesthesia, most people black out. They don't even dream. They lose all awareness until they wake up later. That happened to me once too. I didn't even dream like in normal sleep.

So my question is, if I lose all awareness of time and thought during anesthesia, is that evidence that consciousness depends on brain? How can that be? I'm sure the skeptics will use that to argue that consciousness does not survive death, right?

How would you explain this?

Also, why does my awareness disappear during normal sleep? How can my soul or consciousness be switched off like a light switch? Can you explain this?

It does seem that when you dream, time doesn't pass in a normal sequence like it does in waking consciousness. I wonder why that is. Do dreams take place in a realm where time doesn't operate as we know it?"[quote][/quote]

I've always wondered about this myself. I was knocked out and became completely unconscious for I had no memories or recollection of anything during those times until I became awake again. I don't even remember most of my dreams but when I do dream I get dandies. I also wonder why only 20% of people near death report having any experiences.

One possibility I can think of comes from Ron Pearson's Grid Theory of consciousness. According to this the cosmic consciousness aka supermind of outer space has itself divided into different sections which are seperated from each other via an information filter barrier. Our bodies have a 'brain-mind' in which our consciousness is experienced through. Even in 'death' a replica of our 'brain-mind' is created so we can experience our consciousness from its source (the intelligent ether) in a new brain-mind that is made for the different matter system that awaits most people upon their deaths. I guess this could be comparable to a broken radio, the radio may malfunction but the signal is still there. I'm not sure but it's one theory maybe. Of course we already know what the other theory is. :lol:
Truth is stranger than fiction.
Paradox

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Jan 2011, 20:59

NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 28 Jan 2011, 22:51

really?

Postby Paradox » 30 Jan 2011, 15:16

Truth is stranger than fiction.
Paradox