View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Charity ghost hunting

Discussions about Afterlife Research, Survival Science, Near Death Experiences, Out of Body Experiences, Spirit Communication, Mediumship, Ghosts, Spirits, etc.

Charity ghost hunting

Postby Nostradamus » 16 Mar 2010, 05:34

From http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20100314/NEWS01/3150326/

Watkins, 33, of Dent, founded the local ghost hunting group Spiritual Historians of Paranormal Evidence (Spiritual H.O.P.E) Society in 2007. It investigates what he calls ghostly phenomenon in historic buildings in Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky and elsewhere. The group has a philanthropic side too, donating half of the proceeds back to the venues, many of which are struggling because of government or agency budget cuts.

"I have a real chance to help save history by doing this," said Watkins, who's booked several ghost hunts this spring. "It's been a heck of a rollercoaster ride."

The organization conducted a private investigation of the building in February 2009 and believes it found enough evidence - including unexplained voices and music - to schedule a public hunt.

Although ghost hunting and astrological science may not seem to fit together, "It's a good way to get people who might not have been here to the Observatory before to come," said Dean Regas, outreach astronomer for the Observatory. He's heard the "urban legends" about ghosts at the Observatory, although he's never experienced any himself during his 10 years working there.

"It's a fun thing and people are really fascinated (with ghost hunting)," said Regas. "They can judge for themselves and if there is a ghost here, I'd want to know about it."

It sounds like a fun adventure.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Re: Charity ghost hunting

Postby Craig Browning » 17 Mar 2010, 00:02

I'm in the process of creating a similar bit here in Western Mass... we're talking about a part of the country that's had Western European inhabitants for over 350 years and a massive Native American population prior to that, so it's very rich in lore tied to the bizarre, macabre and paranormal. My thinking is that Salem, Boston and other communities along the eastern seaboard are making a killing off their ghosts, why aren't we?

So it's been a lot of research on both, the historic side of things as well as the business side. The Ghost Hunting industry doing amazingly well throughout North America and much of Europe. :lol:
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 17 Mar 2010, 09:42

Craig Browning wrote:I'm in the process of creating a similar bit here in Western Mass... we're talking about a part of the country that's had Western European inhabitants for over 350 years and a massive Native American population prior to that, so it's very rich in lore tied to the bizarre, macabre and paranormal. My thinking is that Salem, Boston and other communities along the eastern seaboard are making a killing off their ghosts, why aren't we?

So it's been a lot of research on both, the historic side of things as well as the business side. The Ghost Hunting industry doing amazingly well throughout North America and much of Europe. :lol:

Yes, ghost hunting is booming. Are there standards across the board or do people just go out "cold" and hunt based on TV shows. Do they know what they're doing? Is there any training on how to be a ghost hunter? Do they do it for fun or do they do it for scientific exploration? Both, I guess I'd hope, but not sure about the scientific exploration.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Mar 2010, 10:41

ProfWag wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:So it's been a lot of research on both, the historic side of things as well as the business side. The Ghost Hunting industry doing amazingly well throughout North America and much of Europe. :lol:

Yes, ghost hunting is booming. Are there standards across the board or do people just go out "cold" and hunt based on TV shows. Do they know what they're doing? Is there any training on how to be a ghost hunter? Do they do it for fun or do they do it for scientific exploration? Both, I guess I'd hope, but not sure about the scientific exploration.

All of the above. As for knowing what they are doing... No. I'm sure that there are groups out there that are much more experienced than others but many are causing damage to property, themselves, others, etc. Yes on the 'scientific exploration' as anything is better than nothing.
NinjaPuppy

Return to Afterlife Research / Ghosts and Spirits