View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

New! Overgeneralizations and Distortions by Pseudo-Skeptics

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

New! Overgeneralizations and Distortions by Pseudo-Skeptics

Postby Scepcop » 03 Jun 2009, 19:04

New entry I added to the home page:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/distortion.php

Overgeneralizations and Distortions

SCEPCOP member and Afterlife researcher Dr. Victor Zammit hit it right on the head in this entry on his Survival Science website:

http://www.victorzammit.com/skeptics/fundingskeptics.html

"Skeptics can be seen to overgeneralize saying for instance that because some mediums are fraudulent therefore all mediums are fraudulent.

Further, skeptics distort information saying that because it may be possible to reproduce certain phenomena by fraud - even at odds of one billion to one - that they have proven that fraud took place. In this sense, the skeptics find it impossible to transcend their 'metaprogram' (their overriding world view of reality) of materialistic beliefs."

Anyone with experience with pseudo-skeptics have seen such tactics time and time again. They are quick and eager to find any little thing to prove their argument, and will use any little thing to invalidate something they refuse to accept. Of course, nothing and no one can be perfect, so pseudo-skeptics attempt to capitalize on that, using whatever minor imperfection they can find to try to explain away and dismiss any claim they don't like that threatens their dogma, even the most improbable thing. And if it's not there, then they will make it up or hallucinate it.

Common sense and psychology will tell you that overgeneralizing and distorting facts is an obvious tell-tale sign of bias and/or fanatical beliefs, and not the behavior of an open objective mind.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: New! Overgeneralizations and Distortions by Pseudo-Skeptics

Postby Franc28 » 16 Jun 2009, 15:46

That's an interesting way of putting it. Is this board made with the general goal of opposing materialistic worldviews, or just to counter skeptics? I have a materialistic worldview, but I am against skeptics (and modern science, for that matter).
Banned by the JREF Board for calling them on their "bullshit"...
Franc28

Postby Scepcop » 18 Jun 2009, 00:44

Franc28 wrote:That's an interesting way of putting it. Is this board made with the general goal of opposing materialistic worldviews, or just to counter skeptics? I have a materialistic worldview, but I am against skeptics (and modern science, for that matter).

Well both. But the main point of this board is as a forum of truth seekers and the objective weighing of evidence. Obvious fallacies should be exposed of course. Michael Shermer for instance, commits a ton of them, so I don't get why he's considered an intellectual and qualified expert by the media.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Franc28 » 18 Jun 2009, 04:25

Actually, I mostly came here to debate with skeptics.

Shermer has been getting a lot closer to me ideologically than he used to, but I haven't really been following him closely. I don't read skeptic stuff.
Franc28

Postby Scepcop » 18 Jun 2009, 09:38

Well at this point, there are no skeptics and debunkers on this forum. They talked about coming in at the JREF, but they didn't.

You don't have to read Shermer. He has paranormal debunking shows on YouTube. You can see how he treats things even when he gets hits or debunks himself.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Franc28 » 18 Jun 2009, 09:51

Funny, JREF people are always eager to jump into any fray, since they regard their opponents as sources of entertainment. I guess they've burned out on you.
Franc28

Postby jakesteele » 26 Jul 2009, 15:11

Scepcop wrote:New entry I added to the home page:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/distortion.php

Overgeneralizations and Distortions

SCEPCOP member and Afterlife researcher Dr. Victor Zammit hit it right on the head in this entry on his Survival Science website:

http://www.victorzammit.com/skeptics/fundingskeptics.html

"Skeptics can be seen to overgeneralize saying for instance that because some mediums are fraudulent therefore all mediums are fraudulent.

Rules of Pseudo - Law of Diminishing Investment – If, in a Pseudo’s mine, they think they have proved a particular incident wrong, then by extension, anything of a similar nature is also wrong by de facto, therefore, less and less investment of investigative resources need be expended.
_
Further, skeptics distort information saying that because it may be possible to reproduce certain phenomena by fraud - even at odds of one billion to one - that they have proven that fraud took place. In this sense, the skeptics find it impossible to transcend their 'metaprogram' (their overriding world view of reality) of materialistic beliefs."

Anyone with experience with pseudo-skeptics have seen such tactics time and time again. They are quick and eager to find any little thing to prove their argument, and will use any little thing to invalidate something they refuse to accept. Of course, nothing and no one can be perfect, so pseudo-skeptics attempt to capitalize on that, using whatever minor imperfection they can find to try to explain away and dismiss any claim they don't like that threatens their dogma, even the most improbable thing. And if it's not there, then they will make it up or hallucinate it.

Common sense and psychology will tell you that overgeneralizing and distorting facts is an obvious tell-tale sign of bias and/or fanatical beliefs, and not the behavior of an open objective mind.
Debunkers think all UFO photos are fake,
especially the real ones.
jakesteele

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies