View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby Kevin Kane » 26 Jan 2010, 10:43

ciscop wrote:skeptics
are just asking for evidence
no need in debunking anything


The evidence exists if you look for it. But if you expect it to look like something (bias), it may be something else. But let me ask you this: Are you conscious? Do you have a mind? I'm ... skeptical. Can you scientifically prove it? Can you prove that you're human and not some robot that responds to language?

All we're asking for is evidence.
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18






Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby ciscop » 26 Jan 2010, 11:39

wow
you just wanna argue...

this is just boring

present a valid argument
or i will keep mentioning how much you are not on the same intellectual level
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby Kevin Kane » 26 Jan 2010, 12:29

If skeptics and scientists are going to ask those with paranormal experiences and/or abilities to pass a complex Reverse Turing Test (essentially) to prove advanced mental capabilities, I think skeptics and scientists should at least be able to pass a simple R- Turing Test to prove they have minds and are human. I think that's fair. If you can't pass a simple test, don't ask others to pass an even more complex version of the same test.
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby ciscop » 26 Jan 2010, 12:36

Kevin Kane wrote:If skeptics and scientists are going to ask those with paranormal experiences and/or abilities to pass a complex Reverse Turing Test (essentially) to prove advanced mental capabilities, I think skeptics and scientists should at least be able to pass a simple R- Turing Test to prove they have minds and are human. I think that's fair. If you can't pass a simple test, don't ask others to pass an even more complex version of the same test.


you know
in the original IQ test scores sheets
IDIOT was a valid word to qualify the IQ of a person?

IQ Range
Classification

140 and over Genius or near genius
120-140 Very superior intelligence
110-120 Superior intelligence
90-110 Normal or average intelligence
80-90 Dullness
70-80 Borderline deficiency
50-69 Moron
20-49 Imbecile
below 20 Idiot

hahaha
i even wonder if you can even get your name right in an IQ test
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby Kevin Kane » 26 Jan 2010, 12:49

I take that as a no .. ciscop can't prove It has a mind or is human.
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby ciscop » 26 Jan 2010, 22:14

Kevin Kane wrote:I take that as a no .. ciscop can't prove It has a mind or is human.


i am actually a figment of your imagination
and this thing you call universe
is nothing but the dream of an angry drunken midget
prove me wrong!
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby Kevin Kane » 27 Jan 2010, 01:42

Skeptics are reinventing the test for witches. It a psychic sinks and drowns, they weren't paranormal. But if a psychic floats, genuine psychic .. burn them.

And that's why skeptics are drawn to the paranormal. Skeptics are just modern day witch hunters, plain and simple. Just like their ancestors, it's in their genes. Driven by fear and looking to scapegoat the weak, skeptics are the shameful ass clowns of the universe.

Prove me wrong, ciscop.
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby ciscop » 27 Jan 2010, 02:01

Kevin Kane wrote:Skeptics are reinventing the test for witches. It a psychic sinks and drowns, they weren't paranormal. But if a psychic floats, genuine psychic .. burn them.

And that's why skeptics are drawn to the paranormal. Skeptics are just modern day witch hunters, plain and simple. Just like their ancestors, it's in their genes. Driven by fear and looking to scapegoat the weak, skeptics are the shameful ass clowns of the universe.

Prove me wrong, ciscop.


no,
skeptics dont believe in witches nor supernatural you wacko, skepticism is not a matter of believe, is a matter of FACTS.
we are not the witchhunters
that will be you and your people on the other side of the fence
that believe in witches, fairies and bigfoots

skeptics are busy being helping the world thru science and truth
:lol:

you are busy withchunting the skeptics
blaming us for bursting your bubble
that THERE PROBABLY THERE IS NO GOD
you wacko
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby Kevin Kane » 27 Jan 2010, 02:38

The early witch hunters did what they did because they had the power and authority to do so, and the belief that they were right and true. Similar to skeptics.
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby Kevin Kane » 27 Jan 2010, 03:08

Let me explain something to you, ciscop. If you don't control yourself and behave in a civil manner, I am requesting that the board owners/operators do something to enforce the rules of this board so that civil discourse can occur.

Quote:

"This board is open for debates with the Skeptic Camps but please be civilized. No insults or personal attacks please."
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby ProfWag » 27 Jan 2010, 03:39

Kevin Kane wrote:The early witch hunters did what they did because they had the power and authority to do so, and the belief that they were right and true. Similar to skeptics.

Actually, let's think about this for a minute. The witches were found guilty because the courts believed that they were "real," possessed witches, rather than epileptics and/or unkowingly LSD users and such that they really were. If there were skeptics around at that time, they could have exposed the witches for what they really were which were sick (not possessed) people (not witches), then the 20 or so "witches" that were hung (speaking only of the Salem trials), might have actually lived had skeptics been around at that time. They may also have lived if they had conventional medicine rather than overdosing on LSD (just thought I'd throw that out there for fun, but quite possibly true). If one really, really looks at it from outside the box, skeptcs save lives.
My perception, Kevin, is that you are speaking with emotions rather than logic on this particular statement anyway.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby ciscop » 27 Jan 2010, 03:55

Kevin Kane wrote:Let me explain something to you, ciscop. If you don't control yourself and behave in a civil manner, I am requesting that the board owners/operators do something to enforce the rules of this board so that civil discourse can occur.

Quote:

"This board is open for debates with the Skeptic Camps but please be civilized. No insults or personal attacks please."


and i am telling my Mom on you !!!


:lol:
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby Kevin Kane » 27 Jan 2010, 04:53

ProfWag wrote:Actually, let's think about this for a minute. The witches were found guilty because the courts believed that they were "real," possessed witches, rather than epileptics and/or unkowingly LSD users and such that they really were. If there were skeptics around at that time, they could have exposed the witches for what they really were which were sick (not possessed) people (not witches), then the 20 or so "witches" that were hung (speaking only of the Salem trials), might have actually lived had skeptics been around at that time. They may also have lived if they had conventional medicine rather than overdosing on LSD (just thought I'd throw that out there for fun, but quite possibly true). If one really, really looks at it from outside the box, skeptcs save lives.
My perception, Kevin, is that you are speaking with emotions rather than logic on this particular statement anyway.


Witch hunting goes back further than the americas. It goes as far back as the founding of the christian church in europe. The state-sponsored drive against all heresies, against those acussed of heresy and witchcraft.

Hypatia of Alexandria was acussed of being a witch, of magical practice. With that, she was officially condemned by the church (and state).
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby ProfWag » 27 Jan 2010, 05:26

Kevin Kane wrote:
Hypatia of Alexandria was acussed of being a witch, of magical practice. With that, she was officially condemned by the church (and state).

Too bad there wasn't a skeptic around to stop that condemnation.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: what exactly drives the skeptical ??

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Jan 2010, 06:00

ProfWag wrote:
Kevin Kane wrote:The early witch hunters did what they did because they had the power and authority to do so, and the belief that they were right and true. Similar to skeptics.

Actually, let's think about this for a minute. The witches were found guilty because the courts believed that they were "real," possessed witches, rather than epileptics and/or unkowingly LSD users and such that they really were. If there were skeptics around at that time, they could have exposed the witches for what they really were which were sick (not possessed) people (not witches), then the 20 or so "witches" that were hung (speaking only of the Salem trials), might have actually lived had skeptics been around at that time. They may also have lived if they had conventional medicine rather than overdosing on LSD (just thought I'd throw that out there for fun, but quite possibly true). If one really, really looks at it from outside the box, skeptcs save lives.
My perception, Kevin, is that you are speaking with emotions rather than logic on this particular statement anyway.

Kevin's statement is rather accurate up to the "Similar to skeptics" part. Basically if we are talking the Salem Witch Trial period, that whole debacal was mostly due to a society gone mad sort of thing. It was suddenly the latest craze to take over a neighbor's land or oust someone of authority that you didn't like. Naturally society began taking out the weak first. Once they realized that they could eliminate anyone they disliked by throwing them in jail until this whole witch thing was sorted out, they went hog wild with the concept.

An accused witch didn't have to get to trial to be eliminated. Many of the accused died of disease or poor treatment in jail awaiting trial. A simple, "she's a witch!" was enough for them to take the accused away and be thrown in jail. Meanwhile, you as the accuser was able to take advantage of their incarceration.

I have never heard a thing about LSD use or mentally ill people being the sole target of these witch claims. It was religion that got the ball rolling and politics that ended the situation.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

PreviousNext

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron