View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

why ??

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

why ??

Postby brett » 13 Aug 2009, 14:51

why is it that PsKeptics - when faced with a differing opinion that they have no real answer to start with personal insults against the poster ?? - this seems to be a feature of many sites - and i have been insulted on one or two :lol:

personally , resorting to personal insult shows me that the level of intelligence is lower than the insulter wishes to credit themselves with AND that they are incapable of debate in a civilised manner - true we ALL have strong opinions on the subject - but do we REALLY need to stoop to insulting one another because we have different opinions ?? - in my opinion -NO !!

SOMEONE ONCE SAID :" I may not agree with what you have to say - but I will defend till the death your right to say it "

may be this should be rehashed to read ?? :( i may not agree with what you have to say - and if i don't i will start with the personal attacks "

i have been accused of being ignorant - but at least ways i am NOT so ignorant as to personally insult anyone here !! - i guess some of us just have higher standards of personal behavior

if these types of insult continue - I for one will be gone from SCEPCOP -( if i WISH to be insulted - i will just log in to SKEPTICS UK - where one can get a better class of insult :lol: :lol: ) - because frankly i have better things to do with my time than trade insults with people - it achieves NOTHING !!

but i suppose suits the PsKeptics as they consider it a small victory if they can "see off " another reasonable poster ??

ho hum ..................... :roll:
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Re: why ??

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Aug 2009, 21:33

why is it that PsKeptics - when faced with a differing opinion that they have no real answer to start with personal insults against the poster ?? - this seems to be a feature of many sites - and i have been insulted on one or two

My $.02 is that your question is answered easily by leaving the word 'PsKeptics' out of the mix and replacing it with 'some people'. It doesn't matter what position a person is defending during a debate, some people just don't have what it takes to debate any topic. Once you apply that to anything Internet based and add trolls to the equation, it becomes a free for all rather than anything close to intelligent. Now open it up even more and add a language barrier, poor reading comprehension, people who don't have time to really read what someone has written and takes it innocently out of context, people who know squat about the subject but who honestly want to know more... it can really create a difficult environment to discuss ANY topic.

I would be in remiss to forget to mention those who add alchohol, drugs, lack of prescribed drugs, people who need prescribed drugs, etc. to the mix. Oh, and don't forget the 9 year old child who claims to be a 40 something year old. The list of possibles people and personalities can go on ad infinitum.

This forum is relatively young and so far has attracted a wide range of members. All things considered, it seems to be attracting some very intelligent people from both sides of the fence here and of course... a small population that fits into one or more of the above stated categories. It's hard to ignore people on a public Internet forum who have nothing more to offer than to toss insults. You have to deal with them in order to enjoy the opinions and views of those who have so much to offer and who can express their views in a proper manner.
NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 13 Aug 2009, 22:03

NinjaPuppy wrote:
why is it that PsKeptics - when faced with a differing opinion that they have no real answer to start with personal insults against the poster ?? - this seems to be a feature of many sites - and i have been insulted on one or two

My $.02 is that your question is answered easily by leaving the word 'PsKeptics' out of the mix and replacing it with 'some people'. It doesn't matter what position a person is defending during a debate, some people just don't have what it takes to debate any topic. Once you apply that to anything Internet based and add trolls to the equation, it becomes a free for all rather than anything close to intelligent. Now open it up even more and add a language barrier, poor reading comprehension, people who don't have time to really read what someone has written and takes it innocently out of context, people who know squat about the subject but who honestly want to know more... it can really create a difficult environment to discuss ANY topic.

I would be in remiss to forget to mention those who add alchohol, drugs, lack of prescribed drugs, people who need prescribed drugs, etc. to the mix. Oh, and don't forget the 9 year old child who claims to be a 40 something year old. The list of possibles people and personalities can go on ad infinitum.

This forum is relatively young and so far has attracted a wide range of members. All things considered, it seems to be attracting some very intelligent people from both sides of the fence here and of course... a small population that fits into one or more of the above stated categories. It's hard to ignore people on a public Internet forum who have nothing more to offer than to toss insults. You have to deal with them in order to enjoy the opinions and views of those who have so much to offer and who can express their views in a proper manner.

yea - good point - it can happen from both sides but from observation seems to be more prevalent from the PsKeptic side - and usually falls into the same sort of pattern as well - which always ends up with insult flinging and name calling - like soooooooooooooo predictable :roll: :roll: - personally ,I have never felt the need to stoop to such tactics , preferring to walk away and leave THEM to their delusions of intelligent argument - what was it Robert burns said " oh what a wondrous gift to gi us - to see ourselves as others see us " ............... ( he was a well known Scots fellow in case anyone is unsure of their history )
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Postby ProfWag » 13 Aug 2009, 22:46

Wholeheartedly agree Brett. I don't mind insults to my opinion, but not towards me as a person. It IS a two-way street and insults really just show the true character. To all skeptics out there, please don't use personal insults. It does nothing to help your side of a debate.
If I personally have (or do in the future) insult or offend anyone, please let me know and I will apologize to you both personally and in a public forum. That's not why I am here.
Of course, I would hope to get the same in return.
ProfWag
ProfWag

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies