View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Skeptical Thinking- Let's Play, Woo or Not Woo!

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

Skeptical Thinking- Let's Play, Woo or Not Woo!

Postby NinjaPuppy » 01 Jan 2013, 00:09

Spawned from the JREF topic, "An Article Rebuttal by Randi", I feel that this example of skeptical/believer interpretations of the linked article may shed some light to both parties. Unfortunately, the only way that I see to keep things in order is to post word for word and add commentary as I go. That's gonna create a bit of a problem down the line with the quote post limits or some mad HTML Skillz.

really? wrote:P.S. I promised to show what a woo looks like; here's just one example. This is the types of person on the skeptics radar.
http://corefreedom.com/threads/what-is- ... -belt.505/

What Is 2012 About? A Different Outlook... (Photon Belt)
A few weeks ago I wrote about 2012 being the year of the Dragon and historically speaking those years have always brought much natural calamity. You can read the entire post here. This has also been called the year of the reptilians, rightfully so. Most reptilians hold government or church positions (yes, you heard right). As the year progresses you will see what I mean...

2012, the year of the Dragon. Not too woo. Just a Chinese New Year reference that you'll find on any paper place mat in your local Chinese take out place. Unfortunately, I can't read the related post because I have to sign up to read it. If anyone cares to do so and report back, I may have to change my opinion of woo or not woo on this.

As for the "year of the reptilian".... in the immortal words of Bill Engvall...."There's your sign". Other than that, I read nothing I would consider 'woo' in that article.
NinjaPuppy

Re: Skeptical Thinking- Let's Play, Woo or Not Woo!

Postby Arouet » 01 Jan 2013, 00:40

link didn't work for me.
Arouet

Postby Arouet » 01 Jan 2013, 00:51

Link in the original thread worked: http://corefreedom.com/threads/what-is- ... -belt.505/

Ninja: I skimmed through it. While I don't tend to use the term woo, if I did I'm pretty sure this article would fit it nicely.

Not sure if its worth going through in detail, but it seems to contain nuggets of scientifiic fact, with the rest being non-scientific - sorry if this seems rude - nonsense (we're going to have three days without the sun? do I need to say more?)

I'm not trying to be mean, but that article has little basis in fact or theory. I don't know where she got her information, but it wasn't from scientists.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 01 Jan 2013, 01:07

Arouet wrote:Link in the original thread worked: http://corefreedom.com/threads/what-is- ... -belt.505/

Not that thread, the one about the reptile/lizard people.

Arouet wrote:Ninja: I skimmed through it. While I don't tend to use the term woo, if I did I'm pretty sure this article would fit it nicely.

Not sure if its worth going through in detail, but it seems to contain nuggets of scientifiic fact, with the rest being non-scientific - sorry if this seems rude - nonsense (we're going to have three days without the sun? do I need to say more?)

I'm not trying to be mean, but that article has little basis in fact or theory. I don't know where she got her information, but it wasn't from scientists.

I didn't skim, I read it with 'gusto' as her topics weren't anything that hasn't already been discussed somewhere on this forum. She is merely writing about them.

I love this part:
Open your Mind:
I'm not saying for you to believe everything you hear or read. Including this article or anything I say. Instead, go within and ask there for the truth. You will always be shown the way as long as you ask. What's important is that if you are one of the people who must have proof in order to believe something, I ask that you give your ego a well deserved break and go within to "know" the answer. You also don't have proof that there is life after death, but at minimum you have HOPE that there will be more (and there, is a whole lot more). ;)

At minimum imagine yourself being more in tune, more telepathic, more gifted in spiritual matters, more intuitive, etc. If you can just open a little bit, then the integration may sustain you.

What are the alternatives? The alternative is to continue walking the old, hard way and to be rigid and stubborn. It's the fastest way your system will short circuit as it will not be able to hold the vibration of the changes to come (use your own imagination of what I mean by a "system short circuiting"). As a side note, we will see many people's body temples short circuit. Do not despair or lose hope. We have plenty of chances to do it again and again.

This quote is a perfect lead in to what 23 was trying to do with his 'little experiment'. Of course it's tailored (worded) to the skeptic and not the believer but it's reverse would be for a believer to investigate the actual facts from verified sources.
NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 01 Jan 2013, 01:13

really? wrote:P.S. I promised to show what a woo looks like; here's just one example. This is the types of person on the skeptics radar.
http://corefreedom.com/threads/what-is- ... -belt.505/

What Is 2012 About? A Different Outlook... (Photon Belt)
A few weeks ago I wrote about 2012 being the year of the Dragon and historically speaking those years have always brought much natural calamity. You can read the entire post here. This has also been called the year of the reptilians, rightfully so. Most reptilians hold government or church positions (yes, you heard right). As the year progresses you will see what I mean...

NinjaPuppy wrote:2012, the year of the Dragon. Not too woo. Just a Chinese New Year reference that you'll find on any paper place mat in your local Chinese take out place. Unfortunately, I can't read the related post because I have to sign up to read it. If anyone cares to do so and report back, I may have to change my opinion of woo or not woo on this.

NinjaPuppy wrote:As for the "year of the reptilian".... in the immortal words of Bill Engvall...."There's your sign". Other than that, I read nothing I would consider 'woo' in that article.

The underlined quote is woo.
More woo
It's called the Photon belt. You see, scientists discovered this Photon belt already in 1961 as it was circling the Plaiades. The sun orbits Plaiades once every 25,860 years (+/-) and midpoint is reached about every 12,500 years. It takes about 2,000 to travel through; and before the Photon belt travels through our solar system again it takes another 10,500 years. Here is a picture so you can visualize what I'm talking about (courtesy of NASA). If you want to imagine how 'wide' (i.e tall) these gamma rays are, according to NASA they extend 25,000 light-years north and south of the galactic center.

The Sun does not orbit the Pleiades. That's a fact. She confuses one recent discovery by NASA this year with another claimed discovery made back in 1961. She is professing pseudoscience and she either does not know she is or is ignoring the facts to hold a belief. Look up Photon Belt to see the difference http://www.salemctr.com/photon/center5d.html This is a graphic displayed on her site showing the Fermi Bubbles Image The same graphic I saw on Physics.org likely emanating from the blackhole at the center of our galaxy. These bubbles have nothing in common with the Photon Belt she's talking about.
It's her overall message and worldview and pseudofacts that makes her a woo.

If you google photon belt a bunch of sites come up all promoting it. All of them pseudoscience.
really?

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies