View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby G. ADAM » 09 Jan 2011, 02:13

HERE IS ONE 0F AUSTRALIAN SKEPTICS PARANORMAL PRIZE COMMITTEE THE FORMER PRESIDENT PETER BOW-DITCH.

Image


http://groups.google.com/group/aus.tv/m ... 65fcd51543
"Peter Bowditch" <myfirstn...@ratbags.com> wrote in
I'm not the one making idiotic claims about possession of paranormal powers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.skep ... 58895b6a90
Peter Bowditch wrote
>> (aus.tv deleted as per request from people with no interest in kooks)


>Now the ex president of Australian Skeptics Inc. is calling the paranormal prize applicants "kooks"???

The word fits most of them well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


and many more of Peter calling claimed psychics KOOKS!


Here is Peter BOW-DITCH explaining why all paranormal claims that "GUESS"

are automatically discarded.

He also discards all paranormal claims that refer to the BINOMIAL DISTRIBUTION

to work out how many trials are needed to break 1,000,000:1 ODDS.


THE PARASCIENCE $100,000 PRIZE IS RUN BY ARTS DEGREES MAJORS!



>OK, let's simplify it further shall we?
>You think of a number from 1 to 100, write it down.

>I tell you 2 guesses, say 7 and 51.

>My claim is to 'guess' the number you were thinking of with 2 guesses, 50% of the time.
>Now what's your excuse, it's obviously paranormal and would take only a dozen trials
>to defeat 1,000,000:1 odds.

>VALID PARATEST - YES OR NO?


No.


>-----------------------------
>Do you even know what the binomial distribution is Peter?


I do, but it has nothing to do with being paranormal.



"Peter Bowditch" <myfirstn...@ratbags.com> wrote in
> If you claim to be a guesser then you can do whatever you want
> but it won't be anything paranormal.

G. ADAM
 
Posts: 240
Joined: 06 Jan 2011, 18:22






Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby Arouet » 09 Jan 2011, 03:24

We can do your guess two numbers test. I can get a number from random.com, I'll PM it to a few other members. You guess. The other members will confirm whether you guessed right. You then post your two guesses

If we can trust no one to cheat, we can use a couple believers, and a couple skeptics, should be enough to keep people honest. At least for a preliminary trial. If you pass this we can see about trying to arrange more formal testing.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 03:25

I want in!
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 03:28

Let me change that to, I want to pick the numbers and I'll send them out to you guys. I'll use my brain instead of a random number generator as it should be and I'll know if these ARE the correct numbers.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 03:30

My mind is EASY to read. There's not much in there.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby Arouet » 09 Jan 2011, 03:36

NinjaPuppy wrote:Let me change that to, I want to pick the numbers and I'll send them out to you guys. I'll use my brain instead of a random number generator as it should be and I'll know if these ARE the correct numbers.


Sure, you can pick the numbers. But, you should use a random number generator. Random.com makes it exceptionally easy!
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 03:41

Arouet wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Let me change that to, I want to pick the numbers and I'll send them out to you guys. I'll use my brain instead of a random number generator as it should be and I'll know if these ARE the correct numbers.


Sure, you can pick the numbers. But, you should use a random number generator. Random.com makes it exceptionally easy!

Too late Bucko! I already picked two REALLY GOOD numbers.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 03:42

Now I will go grab a can of frozen orange juice because the can says, "concentrate". :D
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby Arouet » 09 Jan 2011, 03:43

NinjaPuppy wrote:Too late Bucko! I already picked two REALLY GOOD numbers.


Well, I did too. But mine being randomly generated are clearly superior to your two numbers, chosen by your biases.

This is a scientific fact.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 03:47

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :D

How cool would it be if my numbers were the same as your numbers??????? :lol:

I'm heading over to the PM. Meet me there!

I'M WAITING! I bet Arouet needed to go back to the random number generator to get new numbers. :lol:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby derrida » 09 Jan 2011, 05:05

NinjaPuppy wrote:I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :D

How cool would it be if my numbers were the same as your numbers??????? :lol:

I'm heading over to the PM. Meet me there!

I'M WAITING! I bet Arouet needed to go back to the random number generator to get new numbers. :lol:


does your number has anything to be with your witchcraft stuff?
or does it involve a date?
just guessing

scescop is thinking 69 by the way
derrida
 
Posts: 308
Joined: 08 Oct 2010, 04:29

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 05:11

derrida wrote:does your number has anything to be with your witchcraft stuff?
or does it involve a date?
just guessing

scescop is thinking 69 by the way

No, they do not. You have 19 questions left.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 05:13

And NO! One of them is not the number 19. Now stop trying to guess or skew this test. This is a private party.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby derrida » 09 Jan 2011, 05:16

i didnt gave up the number 19.. you did
now he has one less number to guess thanks to you

i am not skewing anything
i really want him to guess it correctly
derrida
 
Posts: 308
Joined: 08 Oct 2010, 04:29

Re: SKEPTIC or PSEUDO-SKEPTIC?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2011, 05:18

Image
Go away kid, you bother me! :lol:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Next

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest