View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why r Skeptics interested in Paranormal if its bunk to them?

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

Re: Why r Skeptics interested in Paranormal if its bunk to them?

Postby ciscop » 10 Jun 2010, 07:16

scientific stadistics of what?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby DemiRites » 10 Jun 2010, 07:32

Read Prof. Dean Radin's books Entangled Minds or The Conscious Universe. I have quoted the statistics in his books in the past, but I have since returned to book to the library, but if you can get a copy, its all in there. I'm sure there is a list of scientific books and journals somewhere on this site as well...I'm still new here but I am guessing there will be a list, if you are interested in learning about the science.
DemiRites

Postby Craig Browning » 10 Jun 2010, 13:23

So why is Sylvia Browne so successful? Is it cause she is more accurate than other psychics? She seems like an ordinary person.

The Short Answer: She's published and her publisher's PR company sells her. They probably drop an easy six digits into marketing & PR every time a new book goes out. Same with John Edward, VanPraagh, etc. Some of them even work as consultants for Tv and film production companies which places them into the proper social/professional circles for generating word of mouth kudos by "celebrities" and VIP types.

Sylvia is actually seen as a joke by many working psychics not to mention the fact that most view her as vulgar and very disrespectful of her audiences and even in how she seemingly attempts to control the lives (perceptions) of her clients. Interestingly, her rates for a Reading are significantly greater than Edward and other "celebrity psychics" we see on Tv somewhat regularly and yet, her forecasts or even her general overviews of the client's life are said to fall somewhat short. Some comment implying that she's not anywhere near as good as she was before the fame and money started coming in.

DemiRites I can empathize... I've encountered the same exact word/head games when dealing with the "rationalists" and as best I can tell, it is actually taught to them, albeit not in a formal setting but by "osmosis" (monkey see, monkey do). They have two primary goals when they spin things around and get us frustrated; a.) piss us off enough to leave and not play their game; b.) piss us off enough to blow up and make a scene (and hopefully get banned from the forum) But understand the psyche of most skeptics...

1.) They are "godless" in the sense of disbelief that is justified in their mind as logic but if you dig deeper you will find that 90% or more came to this atheistic position as the result of some kind of loss, hurt -- unanswered prayer. There are very few that did not have some sense of faith prior to a particular key turning point in life that left scars.

2.) They are part of the "Geek" element. They tend to be most secure in books and the environs of academia. The problem is, they are brutalized by the campus jocks because most aren't exactly "athletes" nor do they tend to fit-in with the "pretty ones" society favors (those driven by testosterone). Sadly, they have learnt a trait because of this rejection & harassment and as such when they are in an environment in which knowledge and words are the "football" (metaphorically) they become the brutes that bully those who don't seem to posses a "high" IQ or expressed higher levels of education that meets with their snobbish approval. In their world a BA at the community college is nothing... a blink, so to speak. Then those that end up with honorary degrees such as I have been blessed with... hey, that's an open field for targeting, how dare a school give such an endorsement to a red-neck from cow town Ohio!

3.) Many of these individuals tend to be rather lonely (are loners) and suffer (at least in their minds) of not fitting in with "normal". As a result that lash out at others, distancing them so they can't create any sort of closeness... fear of being found out, so to speak.

4.) Then we come to the need to feed the ego. While it does relate back to the "Jock" syndrome mentioned previously it is an important factor in that certain personalities will jockey for position that makes them "Important" and "influential" in a social-political sense. Puff your self up enough and act as if you are an infallible expert and you can buffalo some of the brightest minds going... but it's a house of cards.

I could go on with this outline but it's not something we need to move into; leave it to say that cynics have a lot of luggage they tote around BUT, and this is quite important... some of them get real about that baggage and learn how to let go of it. They stop being the bullies and learn to accept difference, even to the point of celebrating it. Then, in an almost mystical way, some of them actually gain serenity and inner peace. In fact, some of the most serene and wise people I know are atheists (or was that Buddhist?)

The short answer is the simplest -- they are a bit immature, depressed, typically angry bullies. But there's hope in that miracles happen in their lives as well. ;)
Craig Browning

Postby ciscop » 10 Jun 2010, 14:21

Craig Browning wrote:
So why is Sylvia Browne so successful? Is it cause she is more accurate than other psychics? She seems like an ordinary person.

The Short Answer:
1.) They are "godless" in the sense of disbelief that is justified in their mind as logic but if you dig deeper you will find that 90% or more came to this atheistic position as the result of some kind of loss, hurt -- unanswered prayer. There are very few that did not have some sense of faith prior to a particular key turning point in life that left scars.

1. Well done!, i became an atheist when a friend of mine died way back in grammar school, but i actually started learning about religions and the diversity of religions thats what got me into none.

2.) They are part of the "Geek" element. They tend to be most secure in books and the environs of academia. The problem is, they are brutalized by the campus jocks because most aren't exactly "athletes" nor do they tend to fit-in with the "pretty ones" society favors (those driven by testosterone). Sadly, they have learnt a trait because of this rejection & harassment and as such when they are in an environment in which knowledge and words are the "football" (metaphorically) they become the brutes that bully those who don't seem to posses a "high" IQ or expressed higher levels of education that meets with their snobbish approval. In their world a BA at the community college is nothing... a blink, so to speak. Then those that end up with honorary degrees such as I have been blessed with... hey, that's an open field for targeting, how dare a school give such an endorsement to a red-neck from cow town Ohio!

2. He shoots.. he misses!.. always have been part of soccer teams, part of the representative up until highschool (my university level was way to high), and every year i won the clown of the class ¨prize¨ add to that that i am a magician since grammar school and you get a popular kid.. well.. 1 out of 2 so far.

3.) Many of these individuals tend to be rather lonely (are loners) and suffer (at least in their minds) of not fitting in with "normal". As a result that lash out at others, distancing them so they can't create any sort of closeness... fear of being found out, so to speak.

3. I read Full facts of cold reading too craig! is nice to see some of the elements here at work,
this could apply to everybody and you know it... we all feel we do not belong, we all like the moments we are alone but also could become the soul of the party?.. forer effect! the very first line!

4.) Then we come to the need to feed the ego. While it does relate back to the "Jock" syndrome mentioned previously it is an important factor in that certain personalities will jockey for position that makes them "Important" and "influential" in a social-political sense. Puff your self up enough and act as if you are an infallible expert and you can buffalo some of the brightest minds going... but it's a house of cards.

4. i could say the same thing about you, you think you are an expert but i can see your house of cards build over jell-0

The short answer is the simplest -- they are a bit immature, depressed, typically angry bullies. But there's hope in that miracles happen in their lives as well. ;)

[/quote]
5. yes, and there were egyptians living in the great canyon too :lol:

so... 1 out of 4..
i would say that was impressive, but since i am a skeptic i have to count the mistakes.. you made 1 mistake and 2 comments that could actually be used in a reading to anybody.
so you failed... but nice try
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Previous

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies